Model Cars Magazine Forum

Should I Build This?

Snake45

So I'm in the process of restoring this 55+ year old "survivor" AMT '32 Ford Vicky built model, and I'm to the point where I can set the chassis back up on its wheels (I've done some repairs, and replaced the original early '60s skinny tires with better looking rubber) to see where I am, and for no evident reason the thought occurs to me to see what the Revell '34 Ford coupe body would look like on it. If you've never seen this kit (the Revell '34), the body has been downscaled a little to fit on a chassis originally used for a T, and to make things worse, the hood is visibly and obviously WAY too short even for the undersized body. So I set the Revell '34 body on the AMT '32 Vicky frame, and you know what? It doesn't look half bad--to me, anyway. I'm going to continue restoring the Vicky but at the moment I'm thinking seriously of setting this '34 body up so I can swap it on there, too, "MPC Switchers" style, as the mood strikes me. 

What do you think? Comments not only appreciated, but actively solicited. B)

32VickyDrag05.jpg.44638703f17cda70360c183f89910cf9.jpg

32VickyDrag07.jpg.6d2636ae020dc1d4425639a6b7819214.jpg

32VickyDrag08.jpg.8ff4b48391df5471b0f0e51fdffb4ef5.jpg

32VickyDrag11.jpg.9986e32fb4d70ef440fb59e6e0140e4c.jpg

32VickyDrag12.jpg.b33b7352476928aadd2c86ff6a95e694.jpg

Are ya gonna use the same grille? It looks a little taller than the cowl area on the body.

Also, if you go this route, you might want to shorten the header a bit, so it will appear as though the door can be opened. But, you prolly had already noticed that.

I say, "GO FOR IT!!"

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

Are ya gonna use the same grille? It looks a little taller than the cowl area on the body.

Also, if you go this route, you might want to shorten the header a bit, so it will appear as though the door can be opened. But, you prolly had already noticed that.

I say, "GO FOR IT!!"

Yah, the grille's taller than the cowl as set up here. The tall engine kinda breaks that up and makes it not so obvious. But I've seen a few real cars where the grille was taller than the cowl. 

You're right about the doors. Didn't see that looking at it, but it was about the first thing I saw when I posted the pics. Not sure how to handle that other than just ignore it.:wacko: Not gonna alter the header; restoring the Vicky to original-ish condition is the priority of the project. 

3 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

I like it, but  i do agree with the comment on the grill being too tall...

How about channelling the body a little, maybe try a 34 grill too ??

Channeling the body would make the grille look even taller. Might try going the other way and mounting it highboy. 

Not switching to a '34 grille. The project here is to restore the '32 Vicky. The possible "switcher" body would be just an "extra added attraction." (And a way to do SOMETHING with the undersized thing.) B)

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Does the grill match with the cowl on the 32? 

No, but the engine fills the space between them, so there's really no room for a hood anyway. 

IMHO, a '32 grille looks better than a '33-'34 without a hood (or at least the top of one). 

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

I built it many years ago. I put a lot of work into it so its really just the body.  I did not realize how out of scale the kit was. I like the look of it, but it is a bit smaller. People notice that if that matters to you.

3qtrfrontLRPS3411-vi.jpg

Pretty creative! B)

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Snake, I like it! If you don't do it on this chassis, do it on another. It looks too cool not to do.

I'm seriously thinking of it. I should wrap up the Vicky restoration tomorrow (or by the weekend at the latest); pretty much finished the chassis today and basically just have to polish out the body. Then I'll get serious about fitting this body to it as a "switcher," and might still come up with another chassis for it. B)

On 2018-10-23 at 8:12 PM, Scott Colmer said:

I built it many years ago. I put a lot of work into it so its really just the body.  I did not realize how out of scale the kit was. I like the look of it, but it is a bit smaller. People notice that if that matters to you.

3qtrfrontLRPS3411-vi.jpg

Cool looking build, it looks like it could be turned into the 'Defibrillator'. 

Good luck with your restoration Snake. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Finished the '32 Vickie restoration last night, more or less. Pics Under Glass soon, I hope. 

Cool!  Can't wait to see.  I finished up my chopped Model A last night.  Still will bring it back up to the bench for some patina adjustments, but I'll be doing a photo session outside as soon as the friggin rain stops!