Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

13 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Didn't finish in the 1st BOYD Comp,but might be able to get this Revell 69 Camaro done. Started in 2001 as a badly built Ebay bomb.

Stripped it & painted Testors red from a Testors  single action airbrush. Was my 1st time using an airbrush.

Wasn't planning on any stripes,but there is a bad tire rub mark on the hood scoop now.

69cam.jpg

Like that Nova Wagon in the back ground

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'll play along Snake. Now that I have a work area set up.

Gonna finish up my '67 Bonneville first. 

IMG 2406

Then if I have enough time, I'm gonna finish up my '69 Beaumont hardtop. Started it about 10 years ago, last time I worked on it was about 5.

Fabulous! I'll add you to the list. Wecome aboard! B)

59 minutes ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Thanks Dave. That Nova was originally my GF's dads model that he built in the 60's.

The trailer next to it was his also. The car was missing a few parts,but I have found them & plan

on rebuilding the car one day soon.

Great, I have a 62 Hardtop that my dad built the custom version of when he was stationed there. I plan on rebuilding it someday. Good luck on getting the Camaro finished.  

Working on the '57 Corvette. Last night I tried to get the AMT '62 Corvette chassis into the painted MPC body. Harder than I thought. I had to trim it front and rear, and then found out that it was too tall--I have to shave the top of the fenderwells off. Got about half the necessary work done already. Even when I get it up in there, the edges of the rear wheel wells might show through the radiused openings in the MPC body. I guess we'll see how that works out. 

57VetteGreen08.jpg.aa55441cbe6048703e02b09f7761d428.jpg

Meanwhile I dug out that glue bomb "Great Street Machines" MPC '57 I bought for a couple bucks at a yard sale a decade or more ago. It seems to be complete, especially the chassis and engine. Comes already set up with a tube front axle and traction bars on the rear end, too. This might be the way to go. About all I'd have to do is pry the tunnel ram manifold off the engine and replace it with a 6-71. Since the hood/front end is glued down solid on the green body, the engine detailing isn't critical, as long as a good-looking blower is coming through. 

Still haven't decided whether it will be a vintage Gasser, a vintage streak freak, or a modern street freak. We'll see what happens. 

57VetteGreen03.thumb.jpg.a3a5e5a44ec3742a738b080a0b352b1c.jpg

57VetteGreen05.jpg.6dc73740150205afb9577f3d27579c70.jpg

57VetteGreen06.jpg.f93fa34a946819389606e36ea80c97aa.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Wow, Dominick!!  That Honcho is super sweet!!!, and

Steve's 67 Pontiac is stunning!!!  All kinds of cool stuff

hitting this thread now!?!     This should be fun!!!!!

And I have a question for Snake!  Do we start now?

I think that I missed that part!  LOL!!   :P     

David S.

19 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

And I have a question for Snake!  Do we start now?

AB-solutely! Get on it and GITTER DONE! B)

Here's the latest crew roster: 

Straightliner59: Junior Fuel Dragster

Dave Branson: '70 Chevelle

Belugawrx: Castrol F1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Disconovaman: Several excellent candidates, “official” candidate not named yet

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

89AKurt: '48 Chevy truck “Canopy Express”

Modlbldr: '40 Ford “Starlet”

Snake45: '57 Corvette

Lordmodelbuilder: '69 Camaro

Bobthehobbyguy: Tarantula dragster

Can-Con: '67 Bonneville

SuperbirdMcMonte: Jeep truck

Geemoney: '34 Ford coupe

Edited by Snake45

Today, for the First! Time! EVAH! (remember, I started working on it in or before 2005), my green '57 Vette gasser body (unitized from a wretched flip-nose kit) sat on a chassis with wheels/tires! It's a little high for my personal taste, especially in the front, but I have seen several pics of Vette gassers and /MSPs in the '60s that were very similar to this, so, oh well. (It IS called "Mr. BAD EXAMPLE," after all.)  I guess that pins down what I'm doing with it, at least if I stay with this particular chassis (which is not set in stone). 

57VetteGreen10.jpg.bfaed9a7b5fc80e899c342b57f0b7919.jpg

57VetteGreen13.jpg.8f7828f0d60715998c68989097423d2e.jpg

And here it is with the windshield frame and hard top set in place. Looks pretty evil, no? Still undecided about the top color--Sub Lime, or Testor Lime Green Metalflake? Or maybe pearl white? Black vinyl? Come to think of it, I have a couple spare tops, so I might do more than one. But if I paint the name on, it will be in Sub Lime, so that would match. 

57VetteGreen15.jpg.b17f5be8349915462a3d4daba836a495.jpg

57VetteGreen16.jpg.eec713ee3760e02cc9d7e2a896d3b675.jpg

Edited by Snake45

1 hour ago, geemoney said:

love the Vett, BTW

Thanks! The evil little thing is starting to grow on me. It started out just as a challenge to myself, to see if I could make that wretched backbirth MPC 2-piece flip front body look halfway decent. 

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

I'm goin'! I'm goin'! Lol.

Later-

That paint looks Smooth Tom !

I got some more decals on

iTOCMp0.jpg

Had to rebuild some of the front end..very brittle old Tamiya plastic,...

and another thing..the adhesive I used to attach the P/E to the underside...let go..after 4 years..?

Seat belts and some Future in my Future,...

Edited by Belugawrx
I forgot about the seatbelts and the p/e falling off and about the front end damage