Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

This

aTGXCLh.jpg

This has been hanging around WAY too long almost 5 YEARS 

I changed my mind on the "No Clear Coat",..and will continue decaling and then brush on a couple coats of Future... that should bring out the gold a little better

It'll be close, that one swoosh took me almost 4 hours of manipulation...

That's four. If we get to eight, Bob, I'll be asking you to post a pic and "officially" declare, too. B)

I'm trying to see if I have a project that qualifies. It'll have to be something that's either already painted, or won't need painting (I can't count on seeing any paint-friendly weather before the end of March), and something I started over a year ago but has been stalled for months. Hmmmmmm....:huh:

You know I'm in... I've got so many... I'm trying to find one with the least amount of work... cause I'm still working on the Revell Camaros and in about a month I'll have to get my competition car done for the MDA show in March. 

Quick story I want to share with everyone on the topic of dead projects. How about 30 or so kits that haven't seen the light of day in over 16 years?  That's right, been in an attic since 02-03... 

About 4 years ago I had a Clarke welder for sale, my cousin caught wind and wanted to buy the welder but he didn't have the $250 that I wanted for it. So since he's family I proposed a deal... His model collection for my welder... sounds simple enough? only problem was the models were in an attic of a house that he didn't live in anymore.

The house is occupied by his stubborn brother-in-law who really don't get along well with the family and prefers to be left alone.

To make a long story short, While my cousin is using my welder I have been waiting on my models for 4 years... One of my New Years Resolutions was to take it apon myself and seek this guy out.

Two weeks ago I showed up to his house, without notice, Never met the guy before then, and totally unaware what I was walking into...he's a bit of a recluse but I somehow charmed him, told him the story, and got him onboard to go up and look for the kits for me... he called me this morning to come get my models. Winning! 

They are some stalled projects, some of which are mine from almost 30 years ago that I gave to him and he didn't touch... I'm not sure if any of these will make it here but I do plan on resurrecting these in the future!

Screenshot_20190119-204015.jpg

Screenshot_20190119-203844.jpg

Screenshot_20190119-203920.jpg

That may have been suitable for me in the 90's but the 55 Chevy guy in me is screaming Blasphemy! Now lol!

I don't know what I'll do with this one but with the new kit out I may borrow some stuff  from that kit... the paint is too thick also Testors Sapphire blue... it was an airbrush testing experiment. I want to say that was the first issue of the 55 post? Experiment on the brand new kit,  That's a great idea! Never got any further!

5 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

That may have been suitable for me in the 90's but the 55 Chevy guy in me is screaming Blasphemy! Now lol!

I don't know what I'll do with this one but with the new kit out I may borrow some stuff  from that kit... the paint is too thick also Testors Sapphire blue... it was an airbrush testing experiment. I want to say that was the first issue of the 55 post? Experiment on the brand new kit,  That's a great idea! Never got any further!

Hey, you know if I found that thing at the local toy show, it would follow me home and I'd Glue Bomb Rescue it in a week or less. GITTER DONE! :lol:

I know you could get it done...for some reason yours turn out way better than my Glue bomb rescues do... I alway end up stripping them down, all the way down and starting completely over. (The Blazer) beautiful paint just didn't like the color (Purple from Boyds) should've left it alone.. nope not me! lol

34 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I know you could get it done...for some reason yours turn out way better than my Glue bomb rescues do... I alway end up stripping them down, all the way down and starting completely over.

That's because on "rescues" I go in with expectations of far less than perfection. B) I know that's hard to do on a build you've started yourself; much easier "rescuing" Somebody Else's Mess. :lol:

I'm contemplating declaring myself "in" with an MPC '57 Vette gasser. All the HARD work is done (the front end glued on and smoothed in), the snag has been my dread of building that fiddly MPC chassis. But I've realized that I can pop the thing on a one-piece AMT '62 Vette chassis and GITTER DONE. Stay tuned...I'd like to see at least eight others besides me deal in before I declare Round 2 on...with at least nine of us participating, I figger we'll get at least three or four models done. We're up to six now, so it could still happen. B)

Yeah the Vette Snake!... I gave up on mine when that front wouldn't line up...

Here is my 69 Chevelle that stalled out around 2013... Been thinking about fitting the Revell Chevelle chassis to it. Body is done and the rest could be inspiring as I have yet to stick glue to the 68 anyway... Onward march!.... That's ironic!...lol  my birthday is the 21st so I could make that my deadline, if the Revell deal seems to comlicated I'll use plan B, the original frame and interior...

This will be a Replica of a 1.1 car that used to Cruise in my home town. It was a real SS 396 car but the BB was replaced with a Beefy Smallblock and 4speed with Parchment interior. Steve had "brushed centerlines" on it..   I loved that car! and I had one built up like it when I was a teen. Time to build it agian!

Screenshot_20190119-223120.jpg

A little voice is saying, "finish me!" :lol:  I made important progress last time, and if I do anything, might go for the most start/stops of this special group build. :rolleyes:  I'm obsessed with the '60 Bug at the moment, and still have the Porsche 959 Paris-Dakar to finish, but here goes.... GITTER DONE!
1948 Canopy Express (not 1950 as I started with before).

IMG_8986_Fotor.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

I'm in. I personally declared 2019 as my year to finish at least three, if not more, of my projects. I have been focusing on my 40 Ford "Starlet" (been filling in the down time with my new project 58 Corvette).

http://IMG_20190118_114421109.jpg

The body is polished, interior is complete, chassis and engine are about half done. I should be able to finish this by the end of Jan. Afterwards I'll figure out which other to finish. Perhaps my 53 Ford custom or my 65 Mustang.

Later- 

Edited by Modlbldr

Okay, with 89AKurt and Mod3lbldr in, that's eight, so it's on! :D

Straightliner59: Junior Fuel Dragster

Dave Branson: '70 Chevelle

Belugawrx: Castrol F1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Disconovaman: Several excellent candidates, “official” candidate not named yet

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

89AKurt: '48 Chevy truck “Canopy Express”

Modlbldr: '40 Ford “Starlet”

Bobthehobbyguy seems to be serious about jumping in, but needs to pick his official candidate.  And I'll jump in with this MPC '57 Corvette gasser. Started it in early 2000s (the primer photo is dated 2005), painted around 2006 or '07 or something, painted it with Pactra Odds N Ends Hunter Green thinned with naphtha, which was still sticky OVER A YEAR LATER. :blink: At some point it eventually got hard enough to polish out, which I think I did around 2010 or so, and haven't worked on it since. Original plan was to do it as a gasser dragster named "Mr. BAD EXAMPLE," but at this point I might finish it up as a '70s street freak, we'll see what happens. Sadly, I didn't paint the hard top at the same time and am not sure I can match the paint at this point. If I can't, I'll paint the roof either Sub Lime or Testor Lime Green Metalflake. The stall point on this one was, I didn't want to build the fiddly MPC chassis but last night I test-fit it on a one-piece AMT '62 Corvette chassis and it should work with some minor fitting, so I got THAT goin' for me. (I also have a built glue bomb MPC chassis that might work for this.) Strip or street, it will HAVE to have a 6-71 coming through the hood due to the cutout. 

57VetteBodies3.JPG.54860b1c528c607ce30ee1a46f21f1ab.JPG

57Vette01.jpg.546a7a7470118ef5bf7660f66c41e4fa.jpg

Anyone else want in? Completion deadline will be March 31 so that's more than two months to drag something off your Shelf of Doom and GITTER DONE! :D

Thanks David. I am eager to get this one done. The earliest photo I have for "Starlet" is August 2017 although I know I started it long before then. It is definitely not my oldest stalled build (that would be my 69 Super Camaro I started in 1990) but it is the closest to being finished and the one that I am hot to get done.

Later-

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Anyone else want in? Completion deadline will be March 31 so that's more than two months to drag something off your Shelf of Doom and GITTER DONE! :D

Didn't finish in the 1st BOYD Comp,but might be able to get this Revell 69 Camaro done. Started in 2001 as a badly built Ebay bomb.

Stripped it & painted Testors red from a Testors  single action airbrush. Was my 1st time using an airbrush.

Wasn't planning on any stripes,but there is a bad tire rub mark on the hood scoop now.

69cam.jpg

I'll play along Snake. Now that I have a work area set up.

Gonna finish up my '67 Bonneville first. 

IMG 2406

IMG 2407

Then if I have enough time, I'm gonna finish up my '69 Beaumont hardtop. Started it about 10 years ago, last time I worked on it was about 5.

154 5403

IMG 1019

IMG 1020