Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Truck Kit Releases

Casey

11 hours ago, Casey said:

787f0b185cf0220be0ee0e4727ce5e87.jpg

Just another Round2 re-reissue with a movie tie-in.

Just another doomsdaymovie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741700/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Don't see any flatfender Jeeps in the trailer but I do see a Humvee.

But the Dodge truck is really great news. They go for really silly money on Ebay, like 100$ for a some parts alone. I got two of the LRE trucks but want more of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been wanting to do a model of my 77 Power Wagon Shortbox Sweptside so this is good news! If Round2 decides to back date the kit all that’s required is the dash and the grille, no changes to the body ( turn signals are still in the valance despite the 77-78 grille)! As far as 4x4 parts they need not bother unless they tool up new . They were all prototypically wrong for that truck , Dodge used a New Process transfer case bolted on the back of a modified transmission on both automatic or standard transmissions!

AMT 1132 -- 1/25 Double Header Tandem Van Trailers

AMT 1133 -- 1/25 Peterbilt 359 Wrecker Truck

AMT 1144 -- 1/25 '53 Ford Pickup Truck - Coca-Cola

AMT 1145 -- 1/25 '40 Willys Gasser Pickup Truck - Coca-Cola

8 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

So 1133 is the " big stick " edition? The one w Don's auto plaza decals 

Not sure which decals and box art will be used this time around, but the below (original issue?) would be a good choice.

AMTpete359wrecker.jpg.aee276da408addbfec362999c467989e.jpg

Edited by Casey

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Casey said:

AMT 1132 -- 1/25 Double Header Tandem Van Trailers

AMT 1133 -- 1/25 Peterbilt 359 Wrecker Truck

AMT 1144 -- 1/25 '53 Ford Pickup Truck - Coca-Cola

AMT 1145 -- 1/25 '40 Willys Gasser Pickup Truck - Coca-Cola

Are these in addition to the GMC Astro or has that one not been officially announced yet? Also, I hope the wrecker is the original t522 Unilite cab, especially since on the last few issues of the t501/t533 the molds were showing major wear. Tandem vans would be nice to see again too.

5 hours ago, drinkone2 said:

Are these in addition to the GMC Astro or has that one not been officially announced yet? 

Yes, these are all 'new', as is not yet mentioned here on the forum as new Round2 releases for 2019. I don't know what's considered an "official announcement", as Round2 doesn't seem to have a consistent source or location at which it shares official news of all future releases, but these are all listed in Stevens International's site (and likely other's), so good enough for me.

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

'40 Willys gasser pickup will be cool !

Was this the only time the AMT '40 Willys pickup was offered as a stand-alone kit?

AMT-T-184SD-5.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Was this the only time the AMT '40 Willys pickup was offered as a stand-alone kit?

AMT-T-184SD-5.jpg

Yes.  This was in the short-lived mid-Seventies "budget series", in the narrow box.  There was a stand-alone coupe issue too, the first time the coupe was issued without either the '32 Ford sedan or the pickup version.  Round 2 did another stand-alone coupe, as the Three Stooges version.

13 hours ago, Mark said:

Yes.  This was in the short-lived mid-Seventies "budget series", in the narrow box.

Interesting. This release would be a great candidate for all new 'cartoon' box art. 

Hopefully these aren't the "Fantastic Flames" decals Round2 is going to release:

IMG_1872.PNG

On 2018-12-18 at 7:13 PM, Casey said:

Not sure which decals and box art will be used this time around, but the below (original issue?) would be a good choice.

AMTpete359wrecker.jpg.aee276da408addbfec362999c467989e.jpg

It will be interesting to see wich version they will do as AMT did two versions of the wrecker,  the original issue 359 Small Window Unilite cab version from 1972 wich I think only have been out once, or the later 359 1100 cab version wich hase been reissued several times over the years.
The wrecker bed is the same for both kits but the base trucks are different, the California Hauler with the Detroit Diesel 8V71 and Western Unit Stabilaire suspension for the original issue and the later 1100 cab with a Cummins NTC350 and Peterbilt Airleaf suspension for the later issues.

Edited by Force

Is there any way to tell the two different versions apart looking at the box art pictured above? The rear suspension and rear cab window are both hidden, so Round2 could conceivably use the old box art while including the more recent parts.

Edited by Casey

Yes if you look at the end of the front bumper, the bumper is smaller on the original kit.

1-25-AMT-Peterbilt-359-chrome-front-bump

The considerably larger front bumper from the later 1100 cab kit.

25-amt-peterbilt-359-day-cab-parts_1_4116a238bc3c2f002290d2cc56408cbbb.jpg.9e9b7608b108e987357fffb5677c2bbf.jpg

As far as I know the boxart in your post above was the original issue T-522 from 1972 based on the original T-500-500 359 California Hauler kit wich came 1969 (recently reissued as #866) and the T-500 from 1973 (the one with the sleeper included).
The 1100 cab 359 (T-501) came 1976 and has been reissued several times after that with other kit numbers, and the Wrecker version of the 1100 cab kit came 1977 (T-533) also reissued several times after that, and I don't think the original boxart was used on any issues with the later 1100 cab.

This is the T-533 boxart from 1977.

Peterbilt%20Wrecker%20AMT%20T-533.jpg

Of course Round 2 can use the original boxart with the later parts but as the original California Hauler tool is available and recently used it would be more fun if they issued the wrecker as it originally was...because as I said, the wrecker stuff is the same for both kits.

Edited by Force

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Casey said:

Interesting. This release would be a great candidate for all new 'cartoon' box art. 

Hopefully these aren't the "Fantastic Flames" decals Round2 is going to release:

IMG_1872.PNG

Look like it will have Coke decals this time !

I will be be willing to bet that the wrecker will be a reissue if the original T522 Unilite cab version, since it has never been reissued! Which is fine by me , have several of the 1100 cab issues, although it would be nice to see them clean up the moulds on that kit and put it out as well!

19 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

I will be be willing to bet that the wrecker will be a reissue if the original T522 Unilite cab version, since it has never been reissued! Which is fine by me , have several of the 1100 cab issues, although it would be nice to see them clean up the moulds on that kit and put it out as well!

We'll see what they have to say when it get closer to the kit being reissued.  When the restore/reissue something that's "historically significant" they tend to make a big deal out of it in the literature.  If it's a straight reissue of how it's been the past several times it will just mumble something about vintage box art and new decals.

19 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

Yes that’s true , although I do think that they will go with the T522 version, especially since they have been running the Unilite cab reissue as of late and they like the the old style box art!

I would agree with that, and as they can't do the old T500 kit with the sleeper as the sleeper tooling is gone it's likely they would do the wrecker instead.
And the T500-500 tooling isn't used that much as the last reissue before the recent #866 kit was in 1973 it's probably in better shape than the T501 tooling wich have been reissued many many times since the tooling was new in 1976.

• Xingu locked this topic