Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scarab Mk 1

Dave B

I had always wanted a Scarab Mk1 but was never prepared to pay what was wanted on EBay for the Strombecker slot car body.  Luckily a mate of mine had a 2 part fiberglass mould from the sixties he was prepared to lend me so I thought I would have a go at pulling a vacform over it and then slush moulding a resin body.  It would also require making a windscreen so I cut one from MDF, coated it in permanent epoxy and then sanded away.

IMG_7547.JPG

This is the end result.  It is not specific for any particular race and is really only generic of the look of the Mk1 Scarab but it looks good in with my Merit and similar 50's sports cars.  Wheels, tyres, seats and steering wheel are all resin cast and many thanks to my mate Phil for the decals.  Painted in auto acrylic (blue and white) and clear coated. I did go to the trouble of adding the separate gear lever for reverse gear though!!!

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7546.JPG

Rob, I have an old very used knobbly Lister body that I haven't quite been brave enough to tackle yet, but who knows?

Bill & Bernard, I will pull a .040" vacform and post a pic. A vacform would be harder to build than the resin you could pull off it.

Dave B