Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some talk on car movies.

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Here's a guaranteed argument starter. "The 20 Best Car Movies of All Time." 

https://hiconsumption.com/2017/03/best-car-movies/

'Gone in 60 seconds' original....yes...remake...junk.

The rest are OK but for a few I have never seen. 

I'd put Blues Brothers in the 10. Some iconic movie cars in that one.....and stunts that will never be done again.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Here's a guaranteed argument starter. "The 20 Best Car Movies of All Time." 

https://hiconsumption.com/2017/03/best-car-movies/

There's some good stuff on that list, though any list that doesn't include "Gran Prix" has to be viewed with suspicion.

I enjoyed "Rush" immensely, and if you like car chases with a sci-fi twist, there's "THX-1138"

Car movies don't always have to be about chases and crashes.  Here's some favourites for the classic car crowd.

Genevieve:  British comedy about the London-Brighton Run.  The Airfix Darracq is based on the title vehicle, if you're looking to do something a little different int he way of movie cars.

The Fast Lady:  Another British comedy that revolves around a vintage Bentley.

The Yellow Rolls Royce:  Guess what this one's about?

All my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are my thoughts:

• Gumball Rally was the most enjoyable. I thought the producers really knew about cars from the one that didn't make it out of the garage (XKE) and the one that broke in two (Corvette).
  • Grand Prix was the most artistic, although slightly inaccurate. I remember reading about the making of the movie in 1966. The first really first-class racing movie made.
  • Le Mans was probably the best racing movie. Made by a racer for racers. The hero didn't win the race, tore up his car and didn't get the girl.
  • Rush is a close second, more of a study of two diametrically opposite personalities. I also remember the F1 season of 1976. Ron Howard produced it, which explains why the movie is so good.
  • I have DVDs of The Crowd Roars and Big Wheel (with Mickey Rooney). They send chills to see guys racing in coveralls over shirt and tie, slacks and polo shirt and cardboard helmets. But good films.
  • One film I did not see mentioned is The Love Bug. A real hoot and the top grossing movie of 1969. My first car was a VW, just like Herbie.

...then there's the 3 different Valiant sedans in Duel

- 1970 with a 318 ( "V-EIGHT" emblems on front fenders ) 

- 1971 with a Slant Six 

- 1972 with a Slant Six 

All three had 1971 "W11" Deluxe Wheel Covers ; the 1970 has a 1971 grille . The 1972 model was necessary due to the 1970 and 1971 models being destroyed during the filming for the Movie Of The Week (Nov. 1971) . When Speilberg got the nod to shoot additional scenes for a theatrical release , the '71 model year was long-over ; a '72 was the only model available (especially in the unusual-for-a-sedan FE5 Red) . 

Then there's the two different tractors (which I know nothing about , as I'm not familiar with tractors --- someone please chime-in) . The first rig was obviously destroyed ; a second choice was picked for the additional scenes .

Granted , by-and-large very few people would recognise the subtle differences between 1970-1971-1972 Valiants  , so this isn't a nit-pick ; just an observation .

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Car movies don't always have to be about chases and crashes.

I can think of a few off top of my head:

Driving Miss Daisy

That Thing You Do

Untouchables

Apollo 13

Remember the Titans - few cool cars.

Also, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, World (1962) has lots of cars that are now old and some are classics. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Ok, just to be clear. Just about every movie ever made, with some exceptions, has cars in it! That does not make it a car movie. Some have characters that are closely tied to a car and that makes it sort of a car movie. 

And one of those is "Aloha, Bobby and Rose"

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Agreed. Christine is hands down one of my fav movies, not just one of my fav car movies.

A lot of the car movies I like are not the norm. The Car, The Van, The Wraith, Maximum Overdrive. Yes, they're ridiculous and bad, but I love them.

I'll bet Death Race 2000 and Cherry 2000 are somewhere on your list. B) Hey, how about the Cuda in the Phantasm movies? 

18 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There's some good stuff on that list, though any list that doesn't include "Gran Prix" has to be viewed with suspicion...The Airfix Darracq is based on the title vehicle, if you're looking to do something a little different int he way of movie cars.

I thought that was weird too. Especially since "Death Proof" made the cut. Lots of great cars in it, and I enjoyed the homage to "Vanishing Point"  etc. But good grief, what a boring yak-fest between the action scenes. Also, no "Two Lane Blacktop" on that list, which annoyed me.

Thanks for the Darracq info.  I've read in several places that the Airfix "1/32 scale" 1904 Darracq is oversized, and really closer to 1/25-1/24.  I have the goofy MPC version of that kit, with the even more oversized custom parts.  The box art always gives me a smile. 

darracq.jpg

Okay, sticking to movies where a car plays a major role in the story, here's the Lincoln Futura in "It Started With a Kiss".  It's been on TCM at least once.

life-futura6.jpg

More about what people do with cars, I suppose, but Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez in The Long, Long Trailer

The+Long,+Long+Trailer+1953+6.jpg

The Big Bus from the disaster movie spoof of the same name.

BigBus31.jpg

Some of these might have been mentioned but my favourite car movies are 

Dazed and confused

joe dirt

Tomy boy

cannonball run

gumball rally 

America graffiti 

fast and furious 1-8 and soon 9 

And I’m sure there are more I can’t think of right now 

On 29.11.2018 at 9:44 PM, espo said:

The all time best down and out beater car was Eddie Murphy's blue Nova. That is believable and far more likely than anything else I've ever seen unless the guy was sitting on a Bus Stop Bench. 

Don't forget the Dude's Torino and Rafferty's '65 Park Lane.

tumblr_ls7ch49rU61qil4zxo1_1280.jpg

9780446766043-uk.jpg

Edited by Junkman