Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Starliner mild custom

JollySipper

I've gotten started on a '60 Ford...... it's the latest release of the AMT Starliner kit. It has some flash, and the mold lines on the body were very raised..... I've pretty much taken care of those, tho....

5c36a3c0d9225_starlinerone002.JPG.693411e3af1e36351be5bc6c45984c77.JPG

I also started the engine... (not literally). I wanted to use a Paxton supercharger on it, but it looks as though that's not going to work out.....

5c36a3c0417ac_starlinerone001.JPG.3f95587a36fee7ad2f3969636985c40c.JPG

need to fix the exhaust manifold.

Question for you guys, there is a very shallow dimple where the dome light is on the roof...... It's not deep enough for filler, but it will show if I just paint over it. How do I get rid of it? Just prime and sand until it's gone?

This is my current project while I take a break from the ship model..... Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

I'll repeat a line I've heard here, "paint hides nothing". Get some good filler and fill it in. Use a sanding block to ensure that your sanding is level.

I second this. Never use paint where filler should be used. Since it's very shallow, you can probably get by with a one-part filler, though a two part catalyzed filler is almost always the better choice.

51 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Question for you guys, there is a very shallow dimple where the dome light is on the roof...... It's not deep enough for filler, but it will show if I just paint over it. How do I get rid of it? Just prime and sand until it's gone?

If it is just a dimple I'd use GSI Mr Dissolved Putty.  If it is really shallow I'd just dabble some Mr Surfacer 500 on it.

Wanted to show today's progress.... Got the frame together and the rear suspension painted and ready to attach once the exhaust goes on.

5c37f2f3aeb9c_starlinertwo001.JPG.fa6dc3d037be60123d5ec5ecbc4c3022.JPG

I'm trying to get rid of the roof dimple by priming and sanding..... I believe it's gonna work.

5c37f2f484387_starlinertwo002.JPG.867f879e5b97bac9b9f646d8934c1fdb.JPG

Also goofing around with an idea for the interior with some craft felt

5c37f2f57c1df_starlinertwo003.JPG.1b2bd25d68f151bdb3130221d595666e.JPG

Thanks for looking and comment freely....

I like your progress on this build and the engine looks very real. A thought on your Dome lite Roof issue. First is the headliner side of the roof have any sink marks. These should be filled if you do. This type of thing happens often on say a hood that has been partly precut for a hood scoop. If you have already addressed this problem you might want to try a gloss color on the center of the roof to see if it is going to show before you commit to your final paint job. 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, JollySipper said:

I have the same issue with an AMT '70 B-M Camaro I want to do in polished plastic (dark green). It took a little careful effort, but I was able to block-sand and polish the dimple out and the roof now looks smooth (in raw plastic, no less). 

Now to try to address that "divot" on the right side of the hood line...:angry:

Finished the chassis.....

5c3e8ce892cf6_starlinerframe001.JPG.6158263f24964b824ad8b66483b25b62.JPG

5c3e8ce9e5d27_starlinerframe002.JPG.3f82dd8374cb8bfb5dc9e43b9647b4b9.JPG

I'm working on getting the interior stuff painted. Going with pearl white for the inside...... the exterior will hopefully get painted Deep Cranberry Pearl from Duplicolor. So I need you guys opinion..... should the dash get painted the body color, or painted white? I'm leaning towards body color, but I'm not sure.....

Thanks for looking in....

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Not crazy about the fuzzy stuff, but the piping work is SSSSSWWWEEEEEET.

Cool! Thanks...... Here's a test fit to see how well things are gonna fit. This kit hasn't fought me in the least, it's an excellent kit...

5c57987e11f67_starlinertestfit001.JPG.aa4749bf34db8db5f51feeb6a157567f.JPG

5c57987f08eb1_starlinertestfit002.JPG.05a69afaaec330b9484fa8ceb9247ad5.JPG

The color I'll be painting the body will be Duplicolor Dark Garnet Red Pearl....