Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tyrrell P34

Jim N

I bought this one about 15 years ago and the fiddly construction and the lack of Goodyear markings for the tires made me put it back on the shelf.  Last fall, I finally decided to get this one done.  I figured the only way to get this one done properly was to follow the instructions step by step.  It turned out to be a three month project as there were times I could only glue a few parts together before I could move along no further.  I will say though, the kit is a bit of a marvel for the level of detail given its age as it has a number of the pieces to make the car a motorized toy, which, from what I understand, was fairly common for Japanese models of the time. 

Along the way, I found a decal sheet from Studio 27 and painted the car primarily using Tamiya paint.  I had some struggles getting the front four tires to sit correctly and the getting the rear wing to sit level.  But, I finally got it done and am pretty pleased with the way it turned out.  It is one of the most unique race cars ever made and will look good on the shelf.  Thanks for looking.

image.png.12ff4989fdeeac769833e13054131270.png

image.png.41cebdcb2c218cc72e0ecc4b2164dfcf.png

image.png.ed710c8ef4fec7ce00347cd25f13cdda.png

image.png.2dc3f962ef5df5c7983a5750113cc11a.png

image.png.dce8e7cff542abb1653530c8a7536093.png

53 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Very well done!!!! My favorite car from my favorite F1 era!! 

Thank you Dave.  I find it amazing that it won at least one race and that the only reason the project did not go any further was that Goodyear would not produce the front tires after the 1977 season.

Wow Jim this is just crazy. As an ex-race marshall at the Silverstone Circuit here in the UK, I remember the stir it caused when it was revealed! Six wheels, never, the other teams said! But it was masterfull when raced. The March team factory nearby built a six-wheeler but with four wheels at the back and therefore four wheel drive! It was a complete failure, with so much rear grip they couldn't get it to go round corners! 

1 hour ago, Jim N said:

Thank you Dave.  I find it amazing that it won at least one race and that the only reason the project did not go any further was that Goodyear would not produce the front tires after the 1977 season.

The death of the Tyrrell 6 wheeler had as much to do with the F1 rules as anything.  Other F1 car builders started playing with different combos of 6 wheels. Four small wheel/tires in the rear etc. F1 thought this was going to far and made a rule 'Four wheels max and no more than any 2 in a single line....thus making the traditional layout the only option. Ken would have made the 6 wheeler a big winner if aloud. thx

On 11/02/2019 at 10:51 PM, PatW said:

Wow Jim this is just crazy. As an ex-race marshall at the Silverstone Circuit here in the UK, I remember the stir it caused when it was revealed! Six wheels, never, the other teams said! But it was masterfull when raced. The March team factory nearby built a six-wheeler but with four wheels at the back and therefore four wheel drive! It was a complete failure, with so much rear grip they couldn't get it to go round corners! 

Here's the March 6 wheeler at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

photo1-th.jpg