Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

*Maisto '70-'72 Corvette coupe in a metallic orangish color not far from '68 Corvette Bronze. Will have to do some research and figger out what it's supposed to be, but it looks nice. Never seen or heard of this one before. 

Research says Corvette Bronze is a legit '70 color, maybe '71 too. Not sure if this is exactly the same as the '68 color, but this is apparently what the diecast is and it looks the part. I think this one just jumped to the top of my To-Do list! 

It dawned on me last week that I did not have a Ferrari F40 in my Ferrari diecast collection.  I figured I could pick one up from the Le Grande Ferrari Collection on eBay but noticed the rear wheels did not have the wide rim offset.  So I searched and found a Franklin Mint Ferrari F40 for $19.05 and won as the only bidder.  Not surprisingly no box or papers.  It arrived today and I did notice there was no passenger side rear view mirror but that can be replaced.

20190807_144633.jpg.6d45b371ae7d32143eb5379b4912b7c2.jpg20190807_144708.jpg.57372e236f2d1939f7e6464a27f88bce.jpg20190807_144851.jpg.75f47bf40edd75d592de11f3dffd4a7f.jpg

Nice scores guys.  That F40 is cheap for the moment.   Back when I had one from that collection, I sold it to the friend that wanted a bunch of the cars.  At that point, the F40 was running at least twice that.   

The Cortina is nice.  I might like one of those in 1/24.  trying to minimize to one scale mostly now.   But that does look great.

Randy..... the Lotus Cortina MK I was available as a 1:32 scale Airfix kit in styrene, and you can still get 1:24 scale Lotus Cortina MK I as a resin body shell only....  which then requires a donor kit to complete. ( the Lotus version is a 2-door body shell ).

David

18 hours ago, webestang said:

Found this over 20 year old 5-pack on the pegs not to long ago. For sure the oldest pack I've ever found on the pegs. Paid $4.97. 

ylU4GCG.jpg

That's pretty neat.   I have a few of those still in boxes.   But maybe not that old.  Been a long time since square packaging.  What's the copyright date on that set?

5 hours ago, randyc said:

That's pretty neat.   I have a few of those still in boxes.   But maybe not that old.  Been a long time since square packaging.  What's the copyright date on that set?

1996........about the year I started collecting die-cast.  Found at Walmart, must have been a return. 

On 08/08/2019 at 5:40 PM, Anglia105E said:

Randy..... the Lotus Cortina MK I was available as a 1:32 scale Airfix kit in styrene, and you can still get 1:24 scale Lotus Cortina MK I as a resin body shell only....  which then requires a donor kit to complete. ( the Lotus version is a 2-door body shell ).

David

Hopefully Ian @ The motor museum in miniature, http://www.themotormuseuminminiature.co.uk/our-products.php will have their planned Lotus Cortina Mk1 available next year, it will be a full kit in resin like their Morris Minor.

37 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Hopefully Ian @ The motor museum in miniature, http://www.themotormuseuminminiature.co.uk/our-products.php will have their planned Lotus Cortina Mk1 available next year, it will be a full kit in resin like their Morris Minor.

That is the one, Geoff...... I do hope that the Motor Museum in Miniature release the full kit of the Lotus Cortina MK I in 1:24 scale. The Morris Minor 1000 looks really good, and even though the price of £80.00 GBP plus P&P seems high, the kit will be excellent value for money. The resin body Cortina that is currently available does need a lot of donor parts, so a full kit would be great.

David

Found this one at Wal Mart in the school supplies as we were leaving.  $9.97 or something like that.  I think it will detail nicely.  And I'm thinking I have some 57 300 wheel covers that will work close enough.  Or something from the stash.  Gotta fix that hood too, but it's gotta come apart to do the interior.  

IMG_20190810_202142908.jpg

IMG_20190810_202155889.jpg

IMG_20190810_202222999.jpg

What scale is it? I saw some smaller diecasts in a display right at the Walmart checkout counter yesterday. Didn't really pay attention if they were 1/32 or 1/43, but somewhere in there, nor did I check the price. I just saw they were "too small" and got on with my life. B)

This is a 1/24 according to the box.  Probably a bit small, but still a pretty large car.  I've never seen a motor Max at the local wal Mart in the car aisle.  Somebody left it there I guess and we were just walking by and the white pointed it out to me.  

I have it blasted apart and did some trim work today.  Not improving like I hoped.  The details are either soft or too heavy.  The interior is going to be pretty good and the engine insert is nice.  I'll start a post of its own later.  

I was able to grind on the hood hinge to get the hood to lay down better. More later

This photo below illustrates what I mean about the close similarity between the American car design and the British equivalent around the mid-fifties..... this 1955 Ford Fairlane Victoria and the 1959 Ford Consul MK II are so much alike, to my eye anyway.....

David

8D38E136-8D28-4230-AAE6-3F49AD71DC8D.jpeg.6fb2d4e174413a7f46b73da77031880a.jpeg

s-l1600 (8).jpg