Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box art as art

Like others, I like the box art. I thought of un-folding the boxes and putting them in a poster frame. 

I also thought of stacking them on a wall. (I may have seen that somewhere)

I did a quick search but didn’t find anything.

Has anyone done anything creative to display the boxes your kits came in?

Few things in life are more beautiful to me than AMT's 1966 annual kit boxes. I have maybe a half-dozen originals, and have been VERY happy with Round 2's modern tributes to them. I've bought several of these just for the boxes. They are gorgeous. 

15 hours ago, martin9428 said:

Hey Steve, is that Big T model complete and unbuilt? I'd like to take that off your hands if so.

Sorry Scott....as my eye and hand co ordination begins to deteriorate with age I may have to transition to the few 1/8 and 1/16 scale kits I have put aside. If I should decide to thin my collection I will make note of your interest.                   P.S. Where are you in Virginia?

IMG 1914IMG 1912

Here's two photos of box art on display at the International Model Builders Museum in Utah.   The box bottom was simply tacked to the wall and then the box top was put onto it.  Very cool display.  This is how it looked during my last visit there in 2015.

Edited by Tom Geiger

8 hours ago, Dirty Dave said:

All it takes is a few good scans and a letter/email from the current copyright holder granting permission to do so.

Explain why you'd need to get permission from the copyright holder to print anything for your own personal use?

I'd get it if you were going to sell copies to people. But, when you just want them on your own walls - I don't think they have a say in what you do with them.

44 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Explain why you'd need to get permission from the copyright holder to print anything for your own personal use?

I'd get it if you were going to sell copies to people. But, when you just want them on your own walls - I don't think they have a say in what you do with them.

Most print shops will not duplicate copyrighted material without a release, as they ARE selling the print to the customer. So no, if you own your own large format printer, I suppose you wouldn't need anybody's permission.

Edited by Dirty Dave
clarification

13 hours ago, Dirty Dave said:

What about box art blown up, and printed on vinyl banner material? As seen on the walls around @Freeman Cars auto restoration shop. All it takes is a few good scans and a letter/email from the current copyright holder granting permission to do so.

IMG_20190401_132211.jpg

IMG_20190401_132153.jpg

IMG_20190401_132107.jpg

IMG_20190401_132049.jpg

Wow that is great.