Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri - Ferrari 275 GTS (Spyder N.A.R.T.)

89AKurt

9 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Kurt...paint looks really good....knew you could fix it.  I doubt as if I have ever had a paint job that didn't have some little imperfection in it. But I have discovered that polishing pads make great painters out of all of us. 

? Thanks, and good to know. ?

Got the missing tools done, but clients interrupted my flow (MLK is a holiday for everyone isn't it?) so didn't get to the bag. ?  First up, part of the jack:
IMG_1363_Fotor.jpg.225ea890bd9541083461cbb5a1a01d4e.jpg

After painting jack parts dark blue, made some other tools that appear to be gear pullers:
IMG_1365_Fotor.jpg.103d9cc96794d2b9438b713983862d0b.jpg

Made the other hammer from sprue, then painted those parts semi-gloss black with a little steel:
IMG_1366_Fotor.jpg.88902da9d0cfa5d75de6dc7eeb059de4.jpg

The Fujimi Daytona tools also had an oil filter wrench (should scrape and repaint), which I used elsewhere, so made a new one, plus the other hammer that has a real Alder wood handle with real wood varnish, some rods made from shirt pins, round yellow/black thing is a container for spare bulbs and fuses, a tiny tool no clue what it is.  The long wrench is guitar string wire, each end is wire insulation, smaller wire stuck through, socket is reject from the previous part, super-glued, then painted silver.
IMG_1367_Fotor.jpg.fdd7bab79337bd28c5f75bd558a1a045.jpg

Gear puller (?) tools, to make the threads, the last step was to use the knife, and match the count of 5.5 threads per millimeter, to the perfect 825 RPM on the variable speed drill, and move at exactly the correct rate of speed.  Uh huh..... ?
IMG_1368_Fotor.jpg.41a09533136a00c6b1118f8208687bad.jpg

The red thing is for the emergency triangle, need to make, and make a fan belt, then find the wine bottle foil......
113399967_Toolkit18000.jpg.8b160708569bf586176f6e3331d0cbd3.jpg

9 hours ago, beeRS said:

Fantastic work on those tools.

I'm intrigued to know how you'll make the bag now.

The Fujimi Daytona instructions have a pattern.  I have some wine bottle foil that is like a lead sheet with leather/vinyl texture.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

??

?

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I love this bit!!!.....first photo looked like a push pin...lol

After I made it, thought so too. ?

Made an engine jig.  I learned from doing the '69 Chevy, that having a jig that is hard to control, such as spinning on the wire when I didn't need it, jiggling around like a spring, not being level, was almost more annoying than doing the wires. ?  Got a scrap piece of wood (that's what round cut is about), used calipers to measure, made all cuts on the table saw.  Turned a maple dowel with a slight taper for the driveshaft hole, zero slop.  Glued into notches at the front mounts with Tacky glue.  Not screwing around with this engine!
IMG_1369_Fotor.jpg.58017ce5ca1adb21ad13f1db4d31f96c.jpg
IMG_1370_Fotor.jpg.fd471329c2c553a0829877ada69fb4b1.jpg

3 hours ago, porschercr said:

Great idea!

On rare occasions, I have one.

50 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Great work. Perfect tool roll not available. About 35-40k for one. LOL. Fortunately less $, more work. Roll was Schedoni leather. :)

Holy cow!  What bugs me, no gloves are included?  I'm adding a pair, to cover paint globs on the carpet.  ?

I've never seen any. Great idea, but in 60's not a thing. My Daytona had nada either. IIRC it had a towel. Few of those survived. For the money, I doubt many owners changed their own flats. LOL. Like Sinatra always said "Ashtray's full, time to trade" :D

On 1/12/2020 at 6:09 AM, Belugawrx said:

[...]

I've got an extra pair of distributors from HRM...if your interested

145625091_Ferraridist..jpg.dd216a9d42803fb26f7eefa0b9058b26.jpg

[...]

They arrived today!  THANK YOU.  They look awesome.  I can tell the masters had holes, but that sort of detail gets lost after the first casting.  Drilled the distributors before painting.
IMG_1371.thumb.jpg.f8dafe276d2c72c3fb00a73cfeca23ad.jpg
IMG_1372.thumb.jpg.fdd8f9f579d0ecdbadd84d6eee05e1ec.jpg

1 hour ago, DukeE said:

I've never seen any. Great idea, but in 60's not a thing. My Daytona had nada either. IIRC it had a towel. Few of those survived. For the money, I doubt many owners changed their own flats. LOL. Like Sinatra always said "Ashtray's full, time to trade" :D

I thought driving gloves was the thing, the reason I ask about mechanic gloves, Jay Leno was checking out a new Ferrari, which had *white* gloves with the spare, he laughed.  A towel, hmmmm.......  ? Trade in.

I need to find this wine again, I'm running out of foil, it's a tough job but gotta do it.  Sure would be cool to find the original manufacturer of this foil, and sell sheets for modeling.  I looked in my scavenged parts stash, found this wheel (have several) that worked as a sewing pounce wheel, made a handle and found the perfect bolt and nut in that stash.  I needed to modify the size, the instructions have the tools shown but not the same size, the other side is noticeably smaller so that was not going to work, so went off the jack and part I made.  Added a flap based on one photo.  After cutting, ran the wheel on the edges, needed to do twice.  Then another foil scrap that's thinner than the wine foil, but much thicker than kitchen foil, was cut with the knife along a steel ruler.  Punched holes with the needle for the buckle holes.
IMG_1373_Fotor.jpg.d5a17ec7b015c49c47849b139a63d877.jpg
IMG_1374_Fotor.jpg.75c37c53d69b995c24a663b51b05f771.jpg

Painted Testors 'leather' with some black added, the narrow straps are 'leather' with 'Africa Korps' added.  I'll have to brush paint those straps after getting the tools attached.
IMG_1375_Fotor.jpg.e4009c25fe644bfe66b2523f0ec9c70c.jpg

That looks great!

Military modelers use lead foil for things like seat belts. Some online hobby shops catering to military modelers sell small swatches. But I just Googled "lead foil" and it appears that it is available (used for radiation shielding).  You can find it on Amazon too. I've seen come 0.006" thick foil -  probably good for what you need..

7 hours ago, peteski said:

That looks great!

Military modelers use lead foil for things like seat belts. Some online hobby shops catering to military modelers sell small swatches. But I just Googled "lead foil" and it appears that it is available (used for radiation shielding).  You can find it on Amazon too. I've seen come 0.006" thick foil -  probably good for what you need..

Good to know!  Let me guess, illegal in California? ?  Causes cancer if you eat it.
*edit* Did a quick search, need to learn gauge thickness.  Saw a pewter sheet, gotta buy a whole roll, not happening.

43 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on that wrap Kurt..tools are looking the part too.

Glad the distributors showed up!  They add so much when your wiring ....

Thank you 2X. ?

Edited by 89AKurt

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Really love watching your imagination take shape!!!

Thanks, mixing that with trying to be accurate.

2 hours ago, DukeE said:

Try Taittenger or Mumm's champagne. Even if it's wrong it's tasty. LOL 

Crown, Southern, and Rott N Grapes have that vineyard in PHX area. 

Get cigars too. Model building can be fun! 

? There are some cool cigar bands that have to be good for something on a model.

Finished the tool bag!  Made a few more tools on the fly, fan belt, and triangle box.
IMG_1378_Fotor.jpg.c0189ac0e943e92f8ba6cb6bf2049565.jpg
IMG_1379_Fotor.jpg.d53d2df9404b5a984fc86b1a3f5ac975.jpg
IMG_1383_Fotor.jpg.09a7f0dfae0f88f1f0b2963f63fddf9b.jpg

Dang, that paint looks horrible!

Edited by 89AKurt

5 hours ago, afx said:

Tool bag looks great. Paint wouldn't be perfect on tools if there are getting used.

Thank you.  Some screw drivers have black accent , that's my excuse. ?  The reference photos show used tools, especially the jack.   If it's a Pebble Beach concours contender, they would be perfect.

3 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Kurt....that tool kit is amazing. If and when I ever do mine I will keep this in mind. Thanks for posting this excellent work. 

Thank you!  I'll copy/paste your comment, seems like I say that every time I look at a new build. ?  You doing a 275GTB/S or a Daytona (that the tools are with)?

13 minutes ago, porschercr said:

I was thinking the same.

Outstanding job Kurt.

Thanks!  You can edit comments, it's annoying to find out we can't delete anything.

40 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you.  Some screw drivers have black accent , that's my excuse. ?  The reference photos show used tools, especially the jack.   If it's a Pebble Beach concours contender, they would be perfect.

Thank you!  I'll copy/paste your comment, seems like I say that every time I look at a new build. ?  You doing a 275GTB/S or a Daytona (that the tools are with)?

Thanks!  You can edit comments, it's annoying to find out we can't delete anything.

Welcome,  I understand, I posted the comment twice, by accident.?

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Kurt...both kits are the Fujimi Enthusiast series Daytona's...a berlinetta and the spyder. Bodies are all finished and polished nicely. Just have to make room in the Ferrari case for them.