Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any NEW kits ?

On 10/4/2019 at 6:41 PM, StevieB said:

The two Model A kits, (coupe & roadster), have been announced as returning in 2020, hopefully as soon as the 1st or 2nd quarter, depending on how long the tooling repair takes them.

This. Is a blessing to me if it happens because I want 30 coupe.

• 2 weeks later...

In one of my posts on this thread I mentioned that a San Francisco Cable Car was made by Hawk. I did not say in that thread that it was bad, but merely that I could remember Hawk making this particular kit.

In fact I can remember making their little Cable Car way back in the sixties when it first came out and it was a very nice kit  but cannot remember the scale. I think that it may have been re released by Testors? I have a feeling that they ran a few of the old Hawk kits as re pops. If only I could get hold of the cable car now and perhaps do it more justice as it is quite an iconic subject.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, Jon Cole said:

Well, if it's a rumor, maybe you should take it up with the hobby shops? They seem to think it is credible info.
I took this photo myself just about six weeks ago at a well stocked hobby shop in New England.

MODEL SUPPLIES- TESTORS PAINT DISCONTINUED.jpg

I'm sorry, what were you folks saying about "Basically same rumors like "Testors paints pulled off market" "Hobby dying" nonsense here for years. LOL. "

MODEL SUPPLIES- TESTORS NOTICE 10-2019.jpg

found on another page:
“I contacted Rustoleum customer service, and here's the deal:

This is *only* for international (i.e. non-US) distribution. The Testors lines remain very much operational and will continue to be distributed in the U.S.

Which, for me, is very welcome news, as Testors is my go-to for enamels (I'm not a fan of acrylics).”

In other news, tonight's menu consist's entirely  of crow.
I don't mind the embarrassment, as long as we get to the bottom of it. 

I read that as their only stopping international distribution.

"It is with a heavy heart that we must pass along sad news regarding the discontinuance of Testors Brand Corporation  product brands to all our international  friends ans associates"

"Rust-oleum has informed us that it will no longer accept or ship any further  Testors brand orders overseas after November 2019"

Not that i use a ton of their stuff, i think they will still sell in the USA

I know that I'm late to this ... but I don't understand why it takes 100,000 to make a tool  ... is the licensing the big part of it ? The material cost ? The overhead ? IDK 

I understand that some of the wish list subjects are risky and that could be a drawback from developing new tools. 

I'm sending out a big wish on dandelion fuzz , but I wish that some of the big car guys in the automotive industry / world could help us out some how ... ???

2 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I know that I'm late to this ... but I don't understand why it takes 100,000 to make a tool  ... is the licensing the big part of it ? The material cost ? The overhead ? IDK 

I understand that some of the wish list subjects are risky and that could be a drawback from developing new tools. 

I'm sending out a big wish on dandelion fuzz , but I wish that some of the big car guys in the automotive industry / world could help us out some how ... ???

This has literally been discussed tons of times on this forum. Try search, Boolean search is your friend. It's more than 100k, and it's the tool, the design, etc. Read the thread maybe too, if you can get thru it. Big car companies sell big cars. They. Don't. Care. They license. That's discussed tons of times too. 

3 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

Making injection moulds is a labour intensive process requiring skilled i.e. expensive labour.

Just to give you some idea of what's involved, back in '95 I got involved with a friend's project to make and market a science fiction themed boardgame.  The idea was that the game pieces would be cards that clip into a little plastic stand.

EdgeCityCard.jpg.a9b0c0567689271b1c014e98bf9b6c71.jpg

Cutting a set of moulds for that little clip ended up costing about 12 grand in 1995 dollars, so I have no doubt that the moulds for something like a model kit will run into some serious coin.

19 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Making injection moulds is a labour intensive process requiring skilled i.e. expensive labour.

Just to give you some idea of what's involved, back in '95 I got involved with a friend's project to make and market a science fiction themed boardgame.  The idea was that the game pieces would be cards that clip into a little plastic stand.

EdgeCityCard.jpg.a9b0c0567689271b1c014e98bf9b6c71.jpg

Cutting a set of moulds for that little clip ended up costing about 12 grand in 1995 dollars, so I have no doubt that the moulds for something like a model kit will run into some serious coin.

Yikes, may have been more financially feasible to re-purpose already made clip stands, like those for name placards at weddings etc. Seems crazy the cost to cut something like that. I would think 3d imaging would make creating a master much easier these days, but that is indeed just speculation. 

4 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

Back when the tooling was still done in North America, Modern tool quoted 250K to create the tooling for the Pro-Modeler '69 Charger. Shortly after that all model companies went to China to save costs, and $100,000 is a number I've heard a few times these past years