Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

My understanding is that you have to pretty much replace most of the parts in the kit, in order to represent the real car faithfully. 

I am in the process of building the Pink Panther from the same series. What a dog of a kit it is!!!! Oh....let me rephrase that. The Pink Panther is one of my many stalled projects. 

I'm a fan of the Invader!  I've never built the Eldon/Doyusha kit, but judging from photos of other peoples' builds I've always felt that the carb scoops in the kit left something to be desired:D

Kit Parts on left, the real thing on the right.

invader11.jpg4848630070_d31374a1b7_b.jpg

Here's a discussion of alternative Cal Custom scoop sources, both kit and aftermarket:

I sold on Eldon's Pink Panther Show Rod kit many years ago. Wish I had not! Built their Milk Truck kit. I still have some odd remnants from their Outhouse kit, the cab parts and some of the moonshine still. I will probably mate these bits to some old model A chassis bits to build a unique show rod model of my own. Look forward to seeing the Invader progress on here. I think Eldon did a Bath Tub Buggy as well?

15 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I sold on Eldon's Pink Panther Show Rod kit many years ago. Wish I had not! Built their Milk Truck kit. I still have some odd remnants from their Outhouse kit, the cab parts and some of the moonshine still. I will probably mate these bits to some old model A chassis bits to build a unique show rod model of my own. Look forward to seeing the Invader progress on here. I think Eldon did a Bath Tub Buggy as well?

Ive got a pink panther complete unbuilt in the box..... pm me if you have an 62-65 Nova stuff, or cool hot rod stuff. I wont ever build the panther.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, mrm said:

My understanding is that you have to pretty much replace most of the parts in the kit, in order to represent the real car faithfully. 

I am in the process of building the Pink Panther from the same series. What a dog of a kit it is!!!! Oh....let me rephrase that. The Pink Panther is one of my many stalled projects. 

For sure theres a TON of omitted things, but fortunately, i rarely build things 100% replica...this will be no exception. The plastic is good, and the parts are suprisingly klean for a 1968 kit. The instructions are a whole different thing -the most vague i have ever seen!

On 10/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, BIGTRUCK said:

I like those older Eldon show rods myself. That one looks pretty mint. The only one I have from that series is Bob Reisners "The Bathtub".

Its a suprisingly nice kit, and all the bits fit VERY well....once you figure out where they go....the instructions arent very useful, lol...that bathtub car looks like a fun build!

On 10/18/2019 at 11:15 PM, Spex84 said:

I'm a fan of the Invader!  I've never built the Eldon/Doyusha kit, but judging from photos of other peoples' builds I've always felt that the carb scoops in the kit left something to be desired:D

Kit Parts on left, the real thing on the right.

invader11.jpg4848630070_d31374a1b7_b.jpg

Here's a discussion of alternative Cal Custom scoop sources, both kit and aftermarket:

That seems to be the only built one that i can find photos of. It looks like a decent build, and yes, you are right, those scoops are BAD, but the carbs are too, lol. I will replace the carbs, and SB my own scoops.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Thats deffinitely a unique car/kit.....i've heard horror stories of the warpage in that kit.  There is a Sand dragon, Out house, and a Bathtube in the same series.

Okay, everyone, here is my first update.....First i pre-assembled all the bits i could, rough sanded, and threw into the plating stripper (Bleech White). I assembled as much of the body as i could get away with now, but since the instructions arent precise, i will be using my canopy glue to assemble the whole kit, so that i can accurately dig-in, and get things built my way...

DSCF8786.JPG

DSCF8787.JPG

DSCF8788.JPG

Very cool! I'm not much of a Show Rod guy, but I always thought The Invader was kinda cool. You're doing good work with it. If you need inspiration, there's a VERY nice built one shown in the brand-new Contest Annual from the "other magazine." Good luck and Drive On! B)