Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '63 Ford Galaxie

Casey

See here's the thing. I don't understand why people who WOULD pay the Modelhaus (or similar) price for a resin piece, and then have to chip in a base kit to boot, are then also unwilling to pay say $35 for a model kit.

The same with models are too expensive! The proceed to spend $100++ on the HL Clearance or Ollie's kit dump dujour buying multiple copies of the same kit - usually one they already have 10 of to begin with...I know, I know - "It's a deal"...but to me you can't cry poor on new kit prices when the money you HAD you blew on a half dozen '55 Corvettes and three '72 GTOs.

$50-60 is probably too high a price tag unless it's a one-off subject matter that can't really be reissued in a "modified" way. We see that type of prices from Belkits on their small run rally kits. Japanese kits don't get to be used as an example as the U.S. mark up is a separate issue. The new 2020 Supra kit for example is less than $30.

Edited by niteowl7710

A fairly recent Round 2 video showed its library of original kits in a couple of photos.  With computer technology being what it now is, there is no reason CAD files can't be made from these unbuilt kits.  For new subjects, the same would apply for taking critical dimensions from actual cars.  I think a major problem is the tooling is being done in China.  When the design and manufacturing is done overseas, and an actual car is not available for reference during the drawing and tooling phases, guesses are made.  We had a similar situation at work where programmers in another country were flown up for several weeks to learn how to program plant floor applications that were used in the manufacture of engines.  They could do basic coding, but didn't really know how the coding was to be applied in the actual production environment.  The U.S. programmers then lost their jobs.  Since the new programmers were in another country, they were unable to help out when a programming issue came up.  The same applies when a tooling error is discovered.  There is a potential language barrier, and no point of reference for the people doing the actual tooling when attempting to clarify and correct the discrepancy. 

Regarding resin kits, that industry would be more successful if the as-came-from-the factory kits came complete with plated chrome parts, tires, wheels, interior, etc.  The business model that Modelhaus used was good in that you could buy a complete kit or be willing to pay less and use an existing kit for some of the components if that's what you were willing to do.  Others can learn from that.  

Bill and James hit the nail on the head with two issues.  Why pay $30 for a new kit with obvious flaws that should have been fixed during the prototype phase.  The old kits from Round 2 are good enough for most people, the 90% of kit buyers.  I would like to see them correct known issues with some of the older kits, but I would have no idea how much it would cost to correct even one flaw in any kit.  If people would quit buying the mediocre kits, that would get the attention of the model companies.  Instead, people buy them at a substantial discount to use parts for other projects.  The problem then becomes that retailers such as Hobby Lobby will decide that they don't sell many kits without a substantial discount and will eventually quit carrying them altogether.    

Resin kit prices are way too expensive for me.  Then, add in the cost of parts from an original kit or reissue and whatever parts that need to be sent out for chroming and it eventually turns into a huge expense.  No plastic model car is worth that in my opinion.  And, if I'm going to be spending more than a benjamin or benjamin's on something like that, I'd rather get the original styrene kit for posteriety and/or the promo and enjoy the collectibility aspect of it as well.

The funny thing is, most model manufacturers seem to be able to do the new tools just right like the good old days.  Round 2, Revell and others seem to be able to pull off great scale fidelity with state of art part detail that are spot on on the new models.  It's when they develop a new tool of a vintage older subject where the problems seem to occur with alarming frequency.  The current models of the 6th gen Camaro from Round 2 and the current Mustang/Corvette from Revell are pretty much dead nuts accurate.   

This leads me to same conclusion that I made earlier.  It must have something to do with the OEM's being involved in the project.   More oversight, stricter guidlines, better blueprints, more $$$ available during tooling development, I don't know.   However, the difference is there.

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, Motor City said:

There is no doubt that the Impala has been favored over the Galaxie, the Chevelle over the Fairlane & Torino, the El Camino over the Ranchero, and Camaro over the Mustang.   Hopefully the model companies will start offering cars other than the endless variations of '69 Camaros and the like.

Ebay has many damaged '63 XL promos with scratched paint, bent windshield posts, broken bumpers.  Why not buy one of them to get the correct hardtop interior to combine with the otherwise decent '63 kit?

Because, in that period of time, the AMT annuals (and promos alike), where a convertible variant was offered, never had hardtop specific interior tubs tooled up for them. The hardtops invariably had a convertible tub supplied in the kit

Edited by garagepunk66

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Model Car Garage could have a field day with this one - grille, interior trim, scripts, etc. Hope it can happen!

This kit has been out several times in the last 40-50 years and he haven't shown any interest in it before...but I also hope he will do a nice set.
He did a nice set for the 56 Fairlane Victoria recently and that kit is almost as old as the Galaxie kit.

Edited by Force