Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
landman

How do I do the grass?

Recommended Posts

I am planning another background using this photo of an old open faced shed. Obviously, just folding the image at the base of the shed won't look very realistic. So I'll have to build a base with grass and weeds and maybe a clump of bush ot two. I am open to suggestions and hints at suppliers.

DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of that can be found in Model Rail roading supply's I know hobby lobby has some of the grass, weed's and such...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Static grass ( I think its called ) looks pretty good. Train hobby shop should have it. You can check the look on youtube I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the government sells it, I think you could find out what you need to know to do it on their website Pat. 😎🤘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Now that the government sells it, I think you could find out what you need to know to do it on their website Pat. 😎🤘

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pondering this very same question, Pat....... as the Hooper factory diorama will be the first one where I have needed to do grass. Not sure how the static grass works, and it is a bit expensive over here in England.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, define "grass". 🚬  A golf course has different grades of grass.  You want a natural random grass.  It's the wrong time of year to look around outside, but I hit the jackpot one year at the right time and found an awesome selection.  To be convincing, buying railroad grass will look fake.  My 2 cents.

7600781946_c325000a15_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done some extensive research on this Pat and found the static grass method to be the most realistic for my taste and the scale we work with, however. to get everything together could require a good investment and a 1/25 diorama can use quite a bit of material.  I always look for cheap alternatives to paying for expensive "hobby" stuff.  Go online and find yourself a wig...yes a WIG.  They are nylon and you can cut to whatever length you need, paint it, and it works great in a static charged applicator.  You can find a long hair blond wig for about $10 - 15 bucks and it will supply you with A LOT of material.  Next, make yourself an applicator....you can find how to videos all over the net but make sure to get a good negative ion generator.  I use the "grassking" brand and have had great luck with it after using some cheaper ones that failed after a short period of time.  Here is a pic of it.

503816349_download(2).jpg.2517de44193252e6057713bc9da388e1.jpg

 

Here are some shots of what I managed using a wig (colored green) and my home made applicator.  Bare in mind, the pictures are before I cleaned up the loose grass.  Hope this helps!

 

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.dd2680698a01222850c8debf1c29fa03.JPGIMG_2221.JPG.0d42865ce99172ac096e3675c6fe84bd.JPGIMG_2224.JPG.022628e49feb3ce3341a3828d3a63acc.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent information on the static grass, Bill...... and who would have thought of using a wig? Sounds like static grass is what I shall need for my project.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent information on the static grass, Bill...... and who would have thought of using a wig? Sounds like static grass is what I shall need for my project.

David

Forgot to mention David and Pat, I used pink foam insulation for my base ground...it might make a difference on how well the static charge works.  If you use wood or something solid, the static charge may not be as strong...just something to consider.  The foam works easy as you can place the nail (I used a paper clip) right into the foam and move it around easily as you lay the grass.  Not sure how a hard surface would work...haven't tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's amazing, Bill. I'm curious and would like to try this on a diorama I'm doing. I'm not familiar with using a negative ion generator. How does that work, and does the "grass" stay upright and attached with some kind of glue or adhesive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Shambles said:

That's amazing, Bill. I'm curious and would like to try this on a diorama I'm doing. I'm not familiar with using a negative ion generator. How does that work, and does the "grass" stay upright and attached with some kind of glue or adhesive?

Hi John,  yes the grass stays upright after the glue dries...the pics I posted was actually done over a year ago and it is still a work in progress but the grass is still as I applied it.  Basically mix some white glue with water and apply to surface (pretty thick) then use the applicator to sprinkle the grass.  Here is a good link to show how the negative ion generator works and how to wire it up.  In the video, he makes a real nice set up but the principle applies to any set up you come up with.   https://steamtraininfo.com/for-modelers/using-static-grass/static-grass-applicators/static-grass-applicator    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

YouTube has lotsa vids on "static grass". Go to the main YT page, type "static grass for model trains" in the YT search bar, and be amazed...

 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Need to find Luke Towan you tube video's. He does absolutely the most amazing dioramas out there.

DSC_0347 (1).JPG

Edited by dustym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dustym said:

Need to find Luke Towan you tube video's. He does absolutely the most amazing dioramas out there.

I agree ..his Boulder Creek Rail Road series of videos are a nice background while at the bench..Great tips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is actually quite a few builders on you tube out there on static grass usage. I have watched a lot, but only have done 1 diorama so far with the products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 11:31 PM, landman said:

I am planning another background using this photo of an old open faced shed. Obviously, just folding the image at the base of the shed won't look very realistic. So I'll have to build a base with grass and weeds and maybe a clump of bush ot two. I am open to suggestions and hints at suppliers.

DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG

Just a thought, Pat..... are you wanting to reproduce the biege parched grass that surrounds your old open faced shed, or would you be making the grass green?

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Just a thought, Pat..... are you wanting to reproduce the biege parched grass that surrounds your old open faced shed, or would you be making the grass green?

David

I'd like it the same as in the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, landman said:

I'd like it the same as in the picture.

Old sisal twines and hemp ropes were the go to material back when my father was painting figures and putting them on bases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Idk,,,u roll it.😁

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing those Brian, good tutorials , and it looks Great 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...