Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 news for 20

Spruslayer

18 hours ago, RichCostello said:

The 65 Chevelle "Surf Wagon" was just released. It will be sitting on the shelves at Hobby Lobby for the next 3or4 years. Would they really reissue that one again that soon?

They have them at your Hobby Lobby? I sure haven't seen any at the two near me.

8 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

They have them at your Hobby Lobby? I sure haven't seen any at the two near me.

Same here, with 3 HL's in driving distance.  I've visited all 3 in the past couple of weeks.  Hit the closest one just yesterday.  No Chevelle wagons.  The only place I've seen it is in the one hobby shop fairly close to me, and it's about 25 miles away.

I've learned not to wait for new kits to hit HL.  Many never do.  And sometimes if I wait too long, the kits become "unavailable" from on-line vendors. HL only gets a few of the new kits, and they seem to get fewer and fewer all the time.  But more die-casts.

Edited by Mike999
goof

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ah the funny part is going to be watching people going nuts trying to figure out what the wagon is going to be!   ?

Yeah, I'm sure it will just be a reissue of an existing kit with Coca-Cola decals and vending machine added...

I'm not so sure the fellow on the vid would have bothered mentioning it if this was just going to be a run-of-the-mill reissue with a few new decals and such. I'm of the mind it's more than that........we'll just have to wait and see. I keep thinking about that Supernatural '67 Impala four door hardtop.

NO ONE saw that coming and it's soon on our shelves.

The way he spoke, I'm thinking this was in the planning stages for some time and I guess they felt it's time for a "tease".

Maybe...just maybe...some of the "reissue" money has built up enough for them to explore a couple unexpected projects, such as the 4dr '67 Impala. I'm guessing they are taking baby steps. That's what I hafta do on my projects around the house, here. LoL

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, I'm sure it will just be a reissue of an existing kit with Coca-Cola decals and vending machine added...

So we have had some laughs with the Coca-Cola licensing @ R2.....but now high end model train manufacture LGB is going the same way with a entire line of Coke trains......Must sell!!!!!!

coketrain.jpg

I'm not alone in hoping that the 1965 Chevelle Wagon could be modified into a 300 two door , and maybe backdated to a 1964 (and , perhaps , the tooling insert for the I-6 was discovered ?) . 

I got fooled by that well-executed 1966-1967 Nova wagon "box art" . I didn't even notice the position of the wipers ; the creator of that faux box art mentioned it .

Whatever Round2 decides to do with a wagon --or the wagon-trailer-Nova-funny-car trio-- that the tow vehicle matches the Nova F/C vintage . 

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Whatever Round2 decides to do with a wagon --or the wagon-trailer-Nova-funny-car trio-- that the tow vehicle matches the Nova F/C vintage . 

I'm hoping it comes as a stand alone kit. I don't want to buy two kits to get only one that I want.

While we joke about the Coke kits , they help the bottom line for Round2. While I don’t think we will see many all new kits tooled , I think modified tools will happen , especially if the 4 door Impala sell well , I think it will . Although a bit of a stretch, a taxi variant, fire chief, evens police unit is not out of the realm with this kit. A 71 Road Runner using the Charger tool as a base seams feasible or how about going on the wagon theme, as been mentioned the Brady Bunch Satellite or a Coronet wagon could be derived from the Charger tool.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mike999 said:

Same here, with 3 HL's in driving distance.  I've visited all 3 in the past couple of weeks.  Hit the closest one just yesterday.  No Chevelle wagons.  The only place I've seen it is in the one hobby shop fairly close to me, and it's about 25 miles away.

I've learned not to wait for new kits to hit HL.  Many never do.  And sometimes if I wait too long, the kits become "unavailable" from on-line vendors. HL only gets a few of the new kits, and they seem to get fewer and fewer all the time.  But more die-casts.

Mike, when Hobby Lobby does get some of the new kits, many of us have ordered it or got it from eBay...

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Mike, when Hobby Lobby does get some of the new kits, many of us have ordered it or got it from eBay...

I do that too.  Gave up on the Revell Porsche farm tractor and ordered it online.  About a week after I did that, the local Hobby Lobby got it in. Naturally.  But that doesn't happen very often.