Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Kit Development Update from Round 2

IMO , the only way to make a 1968-1970 Coronet is via shared-tooling with the Revell 1968-1969 & 1970 Charger kits . The Coronet R/T and , optionally , the Super Bee share the Charger's dashboard ; the wheelbase and the entire chassis would spot-on ; and , of course , the 440 and Hemi engines , etc. , are shared .

Has round 2 made any new kits or even new bodies in the past? From what I can tell they clean up molds/tools and tool some small new parts and reissue the snot out of it Coca Cola and everything else. If they have tooled new kits what are they? Or even an all new body? Don't get me wrong this has allowed me to buy kits I would not have spent the money on old issues in the past but it seems like they are exhausting what they can reissue that has not been touched in a long time.  I'm not bashing them just saying.   

Automotive, cars and trucks / big rigs is what I'm talking about. :) 

Edited by wrenchr

wrenchr

"Has round 2 made any new kits or even new bodies in the past? From what I can tell they clean up molds/tools and tool some small new parts and reissue the snot out of it Coca Cola and everything else. If they have tooled new kits what are they? Or even an all new body? Don't get me wrong this has allowed me to buy kits I would not have spent the money on old issues in the past but it seems like they are exhausting what they can reissue that has not been touched in a long time.  I'm not bashing them just saying. "

Yes.  Round 2  just did a new tool for a 4 door 67 Chevy Impala,  from the Supernatural TV show.  They must have spent good money on that.    Yes,  Round 2 can do new tooling if they wanted to.   Not everyone is into 4 doors.  I would venture to say that this would tailor to a very limited market.  We'll have to see how well it sells as time goes on.  If they can do this Round 2 surely can dig into their vaults and resurrect kits that have never been re-released.  IE:  71 Dodge Demon,  68 Dodge Feverbee, Superhemi, etc.

53 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

...if there's any hope for a restored '64 Cutlass from the existing tool. 

I think the best you could hope for there would be the topless AWB funny car. 

I think you can buy a resin '64 Cutlass several different places. Pretty sure MCW has one, and I know they have a '65, as I bought one last year. 

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

IMO , the only way to make a 1968-1970 Coronet is via shared-tooling with the Revell 1968-1969 & 1970 Charger kits . The Coronet R/T and , optionally , the Super Bee share the Charger's dashboard ; the wheelbase and the entire chassis would spot-on ; and , of course , the 440 and Hemi engines , etc. , are shared .

I had always hoped that maybe Revell would have used the same master as their ‘69 Super Bee for a body, scale it down the 1/25, modify it into a ‘68, and mix in the chassis and drivetrain from their Charger kits. That could have been a great model. Now it seems Revell might not be in any shape to do that. 

I still think Round 2 could come up with a spin-off tool of their ‘70 Super Bee body & interior and modify that into a ‘68-‘69. They could even tool up one set of body sides (by not doing side turn signal detail, using decals instead, and keeping the ‘69 R/T body scoops separate) and one set of bumpers, they would just need to tool up new grilles, hoods, Interiors tubs and seats, taillights, front upper valences and separate tail panels for each year and model. They could use the same dashboard as the ‘70 kit, with the steering wheel from the AMT GTX/ Road Runner (I think this comes in the ‘70 box anyway). The chassis & drivetrains from the ‘70 Bee and GTX kits could be included, perhaps they would just tool up new air cleaners to represent what was available for specific models (a ‘68 383 Bee would be very nice). Maybe even a bench seat interior for the ‘68 ‘Bee. They might even be able to scan and reproduce these needed sections and parts from original kits in order to integrate them into the new kits, they would just have to work at getting them to fit. 

Should be interesting to hear what they have up their sleeves. We had been told the tooling for the 70's Dodge longbed pickup was beyond repair and we wouldn't see that kit again. Last year, they bring it out and it sells like crazy. I suspect that they have seen that type of success and started digging through whatever else they have that could be gold. New kits? Yeah, those can be expensive to tool up but with the right subject matter, it can make sense, look at what Moebius has done with the Ford pickups.

12 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Should be interesting to hear what they have up their sleeves. We had been told the tooling for the 70's Dodge longbed pickup was beyond repair and we wouldn't see that kit again. Last year, they bring it out and it sells like crazy. I suspect that they have seen that type of success and started digging through whatever else they have that could be gold. New kits? Yeah, those can be expensive to tool up but with the right subject matter, it can make sense, look at what Moebius has done with the Ford pickups.

Funny you mention the Dodge Pickup...I and a few other very vocal modelers had been stumping for that one on this and a few other web boards, and we heard "no, no, no!" many times. You're welcome. :) 

Now, I'm on the case for the '68 Super Bee. B) 

22 hours ago, Scott8950 said:
22 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Not real smart on round 2's part.. I would think that people from round 2 and other companies visit these model forums to see what people want. 

oh well i was curious about the molds, seems these companies would be willing to do kits that would be hot sellers.

Scott you need to understand the markets and Round Two’s business model. Yes they like money and are doing the right things.

It comes down to how you invest the money you have available for the maximum return, the number of people on payroll to move projects forward and the bandwidth of the market to absorb the product.

Do you invest in the Diecast car market where you can place product in over 5000 Walmart stores? Not to mention all the other retailers, or do you invest that same development money in an all new model car that may sell 10,000 copies? 

They are investing new tool money in sci fi because it’s a larger market than model cars. You can say younger people are not building models, but it’s just not cars. They are into sci fi and fantasy subjects. The two remaining hobby shops in Central NJ that I’ve been to recently have added big table areas to attract fantasy gamers. Last I was there they were packed.

And finally Round 2 has invested a lot of money in acquiring all the old model car tooling from the past. They need to work that inventory and be creative in the marketing, thus the nostalgic box art, new decal sheets, tampo printed tires and bonus parts they find that we’re welded shut on the last issues. 

The deeper they get into the tools, the more damaged or incomplete they are and restoring and improving them is a big investment. The returns are limited and they have tapped into the Coke collectors and the TV / Movie memorabilia markets, all of which have more patrons than the model car market to make it work. No mystery that the greatest modification made to a car kit so far is for the sci fi  market.

And that’s the reality of Round 2. It would be interesting if they did some all  new cars and I’d be as happy as anyone.

Edited by Tom Geiger

9 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Scott you need to understand the markets and Round Two’s business model. Yes they like money and are doing the right things.

It comes down to how you invest the money you have available for the maximum return, the number of people on payroll to move projects forward and the bandwidth of the market to absorb the product.

Do you invest in the Diecast car market where you can place product in over 5000 Walmart stores? Not to mention all the other retailers, or do you invest that same development money in an all new model car that may sell 10,000 copies? 

They are investing new tool money in sci fi because it’s a larger market than model cars. You can say younger people are not building models, but it’s just not cars. They are into sci fi and fantasy subjects. The two remaining hobby shops in Central NJ that I’ve been to recently have added big table areas to attract fantasy gamers. Last I was there they were packed.

And finally Round 2 has invested a lot of money in acquiring all the old model car tooling from the past. They need to work that inventory and be creative in the marketing, thus the nostalgic box art, new decal sheets, tampo printed tires and bonus parts they find that we’re welded shut on the last issues. 

The deeper they get into the tools, the more damaged or incomplete they are and restoring and improving them is a big investment. The returns are limited and they have tapped into the Coke collectors and the TV / Movie memorabilia markets, all of which have more patrons than the model car market to make it work. No mystery that the greatest modification made to a car kit so far is for the sci fi  market.

And that’s the reality of Round 2. It would be interesting if they did some all  new cars and I’d be as happy as anyone.

you are absolutely correct but i still can't see where making the mold or repairing it would cost that much. Maybe if new subject matter was introduced sales would gain greatly.. I understand business but selling the same kit in a new box won't last forever. i can think of many kits I'd buy multiples of if they were marketed...

At the end of the day it takes money to make money.. Hopefully they plan on introducing some new stuff...

Edited by Scott8950

3 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

im pretty sure someone in this thread stated that round 2 created the tooling for the supernatural impala. while its somewhat of a neat piece i wouldn't buy one but if it were the 68 superbee/coronet id buy atleast 3 or 4.. 

Which is my point. They will sell more of those to the sci fi fans then they’d sell Superbee/Coronets.  

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Which is my point. They will sell more of those to the sci fi fans then they’d sell Superbee/Coronets.  

i understand your point completely im just saying if they would market new stuff then the cars might just outsell the sci-fi stuff. i think the same old stuff is one thing that hurts the market.

37 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

The next thing I am going to work on is: developing a sci-fi TV Series or Movie that stars a '68 Coronet Super Bee, sponsored by Coke :D 

Not bad. But don't waste your time developing a new series, just get one made the iconic car on The Walking Dead. 

Think I'm kidding? Colt just brought back the super-expensive Colt Python .357 revolver, which they discontinued over a decade ago. The TWD hero, Rick Grimes, carried one for eight seasons. :lol:

Just now, Snake45 said:

Not bad. But don't waste your time developing a new series, just get one made the iconic car on The Walking Dead. 

Think I'm kidding? Colt just brought back the super-expensive Colt Python .357 revolver, which they discontinued over a decade ago. The TWD hero, Rick Grimes, carried one for eight seasons. :lol:

Hmmm...."Dear makers of The Walking Dead..."... :lol: 

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

The next thing I am going to work on is: developing a sci-fi TV Series or Movie that stars a '68 Coronet Super Bee, sponsored by Coke :D 

Lol i was thinking the same thing at work today.. We need to think of a sci-fi movie with a 68 coronet ?