Model Cars Magazine Forum
GMP440

Anyone know how well the Moebius Golden Golden Commandos AWB kit selling?

How well is the the altered wheel base Plymouth kit selling?  Are the distributers seeing constant orders on these?  Is there alot of people buying the kit?

Edited by GMP440

My nearest hobby shop sold 6 in two days and ordered more. I doubt MK will give out exact numbers. I will say if you want one, get it. It will be a one and done. 

Moebius did very well with it, they sold the entire production run of them to Model King before they were made!  Only MK could answer to how well it is selling.  

I also read somewhere that there would be only 5,000 made.

My best guess is when I see the kit going for twice the original price on E Bay 

I suspect that, given some time, another version will be released by Moebius. No proof, just a hunch.

An AWB Belvedere sedan would be a neat variation to see...

1965-plymouth-belvedere-coupe-front.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

On 2/8/2020 at 8:18 AM, Mr mopar said:

I here there is only 5000 copy's made ?

I’ve bought two kits, and I am working on one of them now. 
It seems, with the Moebius kits anyway, there is only a certain amount being made. Could this be a ploy to sell more kits? 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, GMP440 said:

How well is the the altered wheel base Plymouth kit selling?  Are the distributers seeing constant orders on these?  Is there alot of people buying the kit?

Good question. I could be wrong, but,  I’m sure many builders would most likely pass on an AWB kit, over a regular muscle car kit, or truck kit. Being an old GM guy,  I’ve never really had much interest in them myself, until I started building more Mopar models, and started doing some research on these cars. Even in my drag racing days, I never really read up on how the Fords and Mopars, really dominated the strips in the 1960s. Now I can’t wait to get a few more of these kits, to build a couple more AWB cars. I know a few fellow modelers that think they are downright ugly, and show no interest in them. Just my two cents though..... 

24 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I’ve bought two kits, and I am working on one of them now. 
It seems, with the Moebius kits anyway, there is only a certain amount being made. Could this be a ploy to sell more kits? 

The Model King issues are set at a certain number.  Dave has to commission the production run, set up the licensing deal (for the racing team), and arrange for the artwork and packaging himself.  When they come off of the boat, he's got to pay for them, and probably store a fair number of them until they are sold.  That's why the numbers could be lower on these than the usual Moebius production run.  The price might be a touch higher too, depending on how difficult it is to get licensing or permission to do a particular car.  The AWB cars have a smaller (but devoted) following, and Dave probably has a good indication of how many he can sell profitably.  So if you like subject matter like this, get them when you see them.  A particular subject may not be popular enough to warrant a second production run.

I could be wrong, but it seems most of the moebius initial runs are right around 5k units weather they are model king issues or not. Might be a ‘let’s see how we do with these ‘ thing rather than making 10k of something and having to sit on inventory if they don’t move. Again, I could be totally wrong, just my thoughts on it.

Supply and demand, keep the demand up and they will sell.  

Im thinking I may just get 2 of these,

I have SERIOUS doubts this is a one run and done kit,

Next one is most likely a different decal sheet

I'm thinking a new body for the chassis …..Like a Dodge ?

22 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Im thinking I may just get 2 of these,

I have SERIOUS doubts this is a one run and done kit,

Next one is most likely a different decal sheet

I guess it depends on the 'one and done' definition.  It is a single run of this kit as it is. There are a number of options built into every Moebius tool. 

Dave 'Model King' has made a lot of cool stuff available over the years and takes a big risk on each. 

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I guess it depends on the 'one and done' definition.  It is a single run of this kit as it is. There are a number of options built into every Moebius tool. 

Dave 'Model King' has made a lot of cool stuff available over the years and takes a big risk on each. 

Agreed,

Im guessing the next version will be nothing but a decal change.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:19 AM, GMP440 said:

How many have you bought? 

So far, I have bought only 2. 

I bought 2, one to do each version...and have the extra intake for something else...

I have bought 2, but will buy more as I see them. Looking forward to the Autorama toy show and may pick at least one up there. Prices are usually very good there.