Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘29 Model A Roadster

BeakDoc

Here is a full and detailed review of the kit and its contents, for those of you who are not already familiar with the kit and its contents.     

This review was based on the original (c. 2015) release, and the suggested retail price of the kit was also from 2015.  

As noted above, the new kit is identical to the one in the review above except that it swaps in the SBC Chevy from the Revell 1930 Model A Coupe in place of the earlier Nailhead V8, it adds the optional Halibrand Wheels from the '30 Coupe kit, it has new (although similarly configured to the original ki) decals, and new box art.  

Recommend you use the "Roll" feature at the link to quickly review the images and the captions that go with them.  

Hope this helps.   

TIM 

DSC 0487

PS - the Nailhead V8 is planned to return for the upcoming reissue of the '30 Five Window Coupe version of the tool......TB 

Edited by tim boyd

8 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

PS - the Nailhead V8 is planned to return for the upcoming reissue of the '30 Five Window Coupe version of the tool......TB 

That is good news. I like that they are engineering these to have swappable options between the kits. Thanks Tim.

.....and here's a detailed tutorial on building the channeled version of the kit, again based on the 2015 kit issue.  

One note here....I strongly recommend that you relocate the grille rearward on the front frame crossmember (by cutting away some of the bottom of the radiator); it improves the appearance of the finished model immensely from what is shown here (which is the straight kit buildup without tweaks).    TIM 

DSC 0069

Edited by tim boyd

Finally, here are some kitbashing ideas for this kit.  Again, keep in mind that these were based on the original 2015 issue of the kit....

First up - a 1929 Model A Roadster on 1929 Model A rails (instead of the more common 1932 Ford rails) Highboy.  This used mostly kit parts, and the conversion was covered in detail in a past issue of Model Cars magazine (which may or may not still be available as a back issues)…..

DSC 0256

Next up is a build of the channeled kit version with a Ford 390 FE engine swap, the radiator grille moved rearward, a  Deuce grille and grille shell, a chopped windshield....

DSC 0219

And finally, for those of you who don't want to wait for the reissue of the Model A Coupe version of this tool, here's a kitbash using the '29A Roadster kit along with the '31 Model A Five Window Coupe body from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  It also features the big'n'little spoked skinnies from R&M of Md, a 1959 Cadillac 390 V8 from the Monogram 1959 Eldorado kit with hot rod upgrades from the Revell Caddy V8 Parts Pack, and a 1934 Ford Grille Shell.  This kitbash was also covered in a prior issue of Model Cars Mag.....

DSC 0363

DSC 0358

Here's a link to some more images of each of these kitbash projects.....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Tim, do you know if the Halibrands will still be an option for the '30 coupe?

There should be a complete swap engine & wheels for both. Eg the 29 gets the SBC and "Hallibrand"s, and the 30 gets the Buick mill and the '29s optional wheels.

Edited by niteowl7710

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

There should be a complete swap engine & wheels for both. Eg the 29 gets the SBC and "Hallibrand"s, and the 30 gets the Buick mill and the '29s optional wheels.

The '29 didn't  have optional wheels. Just hubcaps/trim rings on or off.

"One note here....I strongly recommend that you relocate the grille rearward on the front frame crossmember (by cutting away some of the bottom of the radiator);"

I have to agree wholeheartedly here with Tim - on both of my roadsters I also filed the bottom skirt of the grill shell to as thin as I dared so that I could move the whole assembly back a mm or two.  It makes a big difference in getting rid of a goofy overbite!

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yes, the Revell promotional/box art photos for the new issue of the '29 show the Hallibrand style wheels.

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The '29 didn't  have optional wheels. Just hubcaps/trim rings on or off.

Roger is correct. 

FWIW, when the '30A Coupe kit finally reappears, I expect that it will retain both the steelies/trim rings/hub caps AND the Halibrands.   I also expect it will retain both the '30A Grille Shell and the Deuce Grille Shell.   The only differences are likely to be the Nailhead V8 with both induction options in place of the SBC, the decal sheet, and the box art.  Time will tell if this guess is correct.....   TIM  

We might want to remember here that we should but (or not buy) this kit based on what it Can become and not wether or not we like the box art or the wheels or the headers. IMO all kits are actually raw material. We take that raw material and turn it into our individual version of what we each envision at can become.

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I would have liked the Deuce grille option on the roadster, but apparently it's not that easy.

Richard...my recollection is that it is pretty easy to make this tweak work when building the Roadster model.  If I am remembering correctly, all it requires (beyond the grille shell and grille insert as found in the Coupe version of the tool) is a new set of radiator hoses, maybe even only the upper hose.  I vaguely remember discussing this with the Revell team when they contracted me to do an in-depth buildup/review of the first round of test shots in early 2014.  What I can't remember is whether there was an issue with where the Deuce Grille Shell parts were located on the parts sprues, but there shouldn't be, as this tool does not use inserts from what I recall, only blocked off parts runners for each kit version.  However, since this now took place just about six years ago, and my memory is notoriously/occasionally not all that good....best to take off of this with a grain of salt!   Cheers.....TIM     

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Richard...my recollection is that it is pretty easy to make this tweak work when building the Roadster model.  If I am remembering correctly, all it requires (beyond the grille shell and grille insert as found in the Coupe version of the tool) is a new set of radiator hoses, maybe even only the upper hose.  I vaguely remember discussing this with the Revell team when they contracted me to do an in-depth buildup/review of the first round of test shots in early 2014.  What I can't remember is whether there was an issue with where the Deuce Grille Shell parts were located on the parts sprues, but there shouldn't be, as this tool does not use inserts from what I recall, only blocked off parts runners for each kit version.  However, since this now took place just about six years ago, and my memory is notoriously/occasionally not all that good....best to take off of this with a grain of salt!   Cheers.....TIM     

I know you mentioned something something the last time I asked. 

13 hours ago, misterNNL said:

We might want to remember here that we should but (or not buy) this kit based on what it Can become and not wether or not we like the box art or the wheels or the headers. IMO all kits are actually raw material. We take that raw material and turn it into our individual version of what we each envision at can become.

Preaching to the choir here.

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I know you mentioned something something the last time I asked. 

Preaching to the choir here.

I am actually hoping those not already in the choir will consider joining and be thankful for anything new in vintage oriented polystyrene.

I'll be in for the coupe definitely. I don't need a roadster. I bought three and that turned out to be two more than I needed. I built two out of the first kit using an AMT body and parts from other kits. Started a third with the second kit. But, lost interest.