Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recurring Dreams

Snake45

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Many, many times over the decades, I've dreamed of being in a store or a flea market and finding boxes of old models being sold cheap or given away, digging through them and loading my arms to take them home, and then realizing that I'm going to wake up and they'll all be gone. I'm surprised nobody else has posted something like that? :huh:

Yea. I too have had that one. Never at a flea market. Always a store.. and always disappointing to wake up from that one. 

1 minute ago, unclescott58 said:

Yea. I too have had that one. Never at a flea market. Always a store.. and always disappointing to wake up from that one. 

Yes I've had that dream a few times too. Also, going back a few years, dreaming I was waking up next to my partner who had recently walked out the door for good. Then waking up for real. Ouch!   

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I keep dreaming about Duluth, MN, and several of my relatives farms not far from Duluth. In my dreams Duluth is a much larger and much more cosmopolitan city than it is real life. And seem to really enjoy my visits to this version of Duluth. The visit to the farms, and the towns near those farms not so much. The main farm I visit in my dreams is my uncle Art's. Like Duluth, things are never the way remember them. But, for some reason I feel confused and not always pleased. 

For twelve years I worked as sub in several different schools. In several different districts. And with kids of all grades. Just this year, I agreed to take a full time position at the school I had subed the most at, and liked the best. A high school. And yet I commonly have dreams where I end up working at a different school. It maybe a school that I know. Than again it may not. If it is a school I know, it's always changed in ways that I don't understand or can remember. It makes it hard for me to find the classrooms I'm looking for. Yet I never get in trouble. And people always seem happy to see me. So, even if though these dreams seem confusing, they don't really seem all that bad. 

Guess what I dreamt about last night? Last night I dreamt I was working with sixth graders at the elementary school I went to as kid. A school I later did work at in my subbing days too. The only things were, they don't teach sixth grade in that school any more. And the sixth grade classrooms were where the fifth grade classrooms where at, fifty years ago. Other than that, it was an overall pleasant dream. 

Edited by unclescott58

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

In your flying dreams...have you got chemtrails? lolz

And you're a MODERATOR! :blink: Shame on you! :wacko:

If you troll this thread into getting locked, I'm starting another one--and I don't expect to be sanctioned for it. B)

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Many, many times over the decades, I've dreamed of being in a store or a flea market and finding boxes of old models being sold cheap or given away, digging through them and loading my arms to take them home, and then realizing that I'm going to wake up and they'll all be gone. I'm surprised nobody else has posted something like that? :huh:

Not recurring, no, but I did have a very vivid model-related one about 4 years ago. 

I go on eBay binges. I won't go on eBay at all for months or years at a time, and then for some reason I'll go looking for something and soon I'm on there all the time, watching and buying for a few weeks or a few months, spending hundreds of dollars until I've gotten just about everything I can think of I want, and then I stop. When I'm on one of these binges I just open the boxes and check them as they come in, and sometimes I don't get around to opening them for a couple weeks or even a month or more. And when buying, especially when buying lots or "junkyards," I'll be concentrating on one particular thing I need and not paying that much attention to the rest of the stuff. I've gotten some nice surprises that way. 

So anyway, about 4 years ago, I dreamed (apparently--more on that latter) that I was standing in front of my "Double Special Old Kits" shelf, going through some of the many AMT '63-'67 original Corvettes I've bought, either looking for something or just taking inventory. And I come across an original built AMT '66 Mustang Fastback in a box with something else. "Huh," I think, "I'd almost forgotten buying that." I look closer and it's been cleanly but not perfectly brush-painted with Pactra Leaf Green, exactly like the one I built in 1966. I'd originally planned to strip and rebuild it, but in looking at it, I thought, "I should just clean this one up and 'rescue' it as a tribute to my old one." BTW, there is NO chance this model is my old one, suddenly found--I repainted that one 50 years ago, still have it, know exactly where it is, and plan to restore/rescue it sometime soon. I put the Mustang back in the box and went on with whatever it was I was doing at my Double Special shelf. 

I did NOT wake up thinking about this dream, or even remembering it. 

But sometime later, a few days or a week or two later, I got to thinking about "finding" that old built Mustang, and thought it was a good time to rescue/restore it. I went down to the Double Special Old Kits shelf and started looking for it. I opened EVERY SINGLE BOX on that shelf--two or three dozen of them--and didn't find it! I then went looking through several large boxes where I have a bunch of restorable glue bombs bought from eBay and the local toy show. It wasn't in any of those, either. :wacko:

Only then did I began to realize that the whole thing had been a dream (MUST have been!). But it was so REAL! :blink: Also funny: at that time I hadn't bought or even looked for any AMT '66 Mustang Fastbacks, although I DID score a nice minty original unbuilt hardtop/convertible. 

This dream/false memory haunted me so much that last year, when I got a great-paying job and went on another eBay bender, I started looking for AMT '66 Mustang Fastbacks. I ended up buying two '65s and two '66s--three nice builtups (which I have already restored and shown here) and one slightly distressed but very restorable promo, which I still have to get to. 

So that's my weird model car dream. :wacko:

I used to get the Flying Dream, all the time when I was younger. Running so fast that you just start flying. I miss it. Have not had it in 20-25 years.

The other one that I used to have, was a Chase dream. In it, I am being chased by some huge, dark scary thing, (I've never seen what it is). It chases me down the center aisle of some steeply downward sloping bleachers, built on the edge of a cliff,  hanging out over a "Coyote-Roadrunner", style, bottomless, cartoon canyon. I always get chased down these steps, (they are always, wooden, and very rickety) and at the bottom edge of the steps there is a guardrail, made of some flimsy, rotten wood about 2 feet high.  I can't stop myself in time, and I go through the rail and over the edge, falling forever. 

It is only while I'm falling that I wake up. That one, in some forms would disturb me so much that I'd stay awake the rest of the night, unable to fall asleep again.

I've never had the "finding Models dream". I do dream, fairly often about winning the Lotto, and starting my own Model Company.  First Kits? Johan '60 Plymouth Wagon re-pop, 1912 Mercer Raceabout, and '74 Blues Bros Dodge Monaco. FWIW, It is always the same three kits in the dream.

Recurring dreams, especially thematic ones (if they're recurring, I suppose they're all thematic) have been standard fare for me for many years. Probably the worst of the lot, is dreaming over and over again about living in a house that leaks really, really bad whenever it rains, soaking and ruining lots of my precious stuff, including carpets, bedding, walls, ceilings and furniture. The last house I owned, did in fact have a very leaky basement, and some bad areas in the roof as well. While the roof was repaired, the basement never really was, so a damp basement was always an issue there. I suppose that's where that particular dream theme comes from, but it's quite annoying, nonetheless.

Another, which I fortunately haven't had in quite some time, is finding myself covered with tiny worm-like insects that are burrowing into my skin.

• 2 weeks later...

One recurring dream I have, I've had again recently...... I'm in a record store looking at albums to buy. I'll pick up an album and try to read the label, but can't make it out. I end up leaving the store feeling kinda disappointed that I couldn't find anything I wanted......

another, and this one seems the oddest, is I have some sort of rodent as a pet..... but it's like a generic animal. It's not a hamster or squirrel or anything, but I know it's a small critter of some sort. Kinda weird, huh?

I don’t remember the majority of my dreams, sometimes I’ll wake up remembering but will soon forget it. 

I have had recurring characters in my dreams. There is a little girl with a long dress and a black and white cat that seem to follow me around.  I once asked the girl why the cat followed me around and she said, “His name is Alves and he likes you.”

I’ve never owned a cat but they do seem to like me.  There is a cat named Hunter in my neighborhood who comes to visit and will wind up in my lap if I let him.

One day I was at the garage that worked on my cars. The owner had several cats there and that day a black and white cat jumped up on the counter and was nudging me to pet him. The garage owner laughed and said he must like me. He was looking for a home for him and I could have him if I wanted. I thought for a moment that I could indeed have my own Alves!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I've had some weird dreams lately, where I'm driving very strange, very little, cars. Things could just be barely considered cars. Sometimes driving to and through areas that are barely accessible on foot, much less by car. Very odd dreams, indeed. Last night, things got a little odder dealing with this basic theme. I was driving without a car. I was sitting on nothing. My hands out, steering with a steering wheel that was not there! I was passing people, in cars, in the left lane. Getting odd and disgusting looks from the people I was passing. At one point a Lamborghini Contach almost pulled out in front of me. But, then the drive saw me, and let me pass. Which even in my dream I thought was a little odd.

I wonder what this and other recent driving dreams are all about? There is nothing bad in them. In fact I seem to be enjoying myself. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 11:19 AM, Snake45 said:

Not recurring, no, but I did have a very vivid model-related one about 4 years ago. 

I go on eBay binges. I won't go on eBay at all for months or years at a time, and then for some reason I'll go looking for something and soon I'm on there all the time, watching and buying for a few weeks or a few months, spending hundreds of dollars until I've gotten just about everything I can think of I want, and then I stop. When I'm on one of these binges I just open the boxes and check them as they come in, and sometimes I don't get around to opening them for a couple weeks or even a month or more. And when buying, especially when buying lots or "junkyards," I'll be concentrating on one particular thing I need and not paying that much attention to the rest of the stuff. I've gotten some nice surprises that way. 

So anyway, about 4 years ago, I dreamed (apparently--more on that latter) that I was standing in front of my "Double Special Old Kits" shelf, going through some of the many AMT '63-'67 original Corvettes I've bought, either looking for something or just taking inventory. And I come across an original built AMT '66 Mustang Fastback in a box with something else. "Huh," I think, "I'd almost forgotten buying that." I look closer and it's been cleanly but not perfectly brush-painted with Pactra Leaf Green, exactly like the one I built in 1966. I'd originally planned to strip and rebuild it, but in looking at it, I thought, "I should just clean this one up and 'rescue' it as a tribute to my old one." BTW, there is NO chance this model is my old one, suddenly found--I repainted that one 50 years ago, still have it, know exactly where it is, and plan to restore/rescue it sometime soon. I put the Mustang back in the box and went on with whatever it was I was doing at my Double Special shelf. 

I did NOT wake up thinking about this dream, or even remembering it. 

But sometime later, a few days or a week or two later, I got to thinking about "finding" that old built Mustang, and thought it was a good time to rescue/restore it. I went down to the Double Special Old Kits shelf and started looking for it. I opened EVERY SINGLE BOX on that shelf--two or three dozen of them--and didn't find it! I then went looking through several large boxes where I have a bunch of restorable glue bombs bought from eBay and the local toy show. It wasn't in any of those, either. :wacko:

Only then did I began to realize that the whole thing had been a dream (MUST have been!). But it was so REAL! :blink: Also funny: at that time I hadn't bought or even looked for any AMT '66 Mustang Fastbacks, although I DID score a nice minty original unbuilt hardtop/convertible. 

This dream/false memory haunted me so much that last year, when I got a great-paying job and went on another eBay bender, I started looking for AMT '66 Mustang Fastbacks. I ended up buying two '65s and two '66s--three nice builtups (which I have already restored and shown here) and one slightly distressed but very restorable promo, which I still have to get to. 

So that's my weird model car dream. :wacko:

And the weird dream continues....

Last week on eBay, I bought this AMT '66 Mustang, which appears to have been brush-painted with Pactra Leaf Green. It is almost exactly like the one in my dream, and the one I built in 1966. 

It will be lovingly restored! :wub:

66MustangFBGreen03.jpg.49a81d176880054900cf5dfccfcc53af.jpg

I’ve had this dream that a lion is stalking me. I see it coming down a city street roaring  and I’m hiding in a doorway. As it gets closer, I’m planning on going inside the door and slamming it shut.... and then I freeze and can’t move! 

That’s when I wake up abruptly and find my wife is snoring loudly like a trucker!  

Seriously!

• 4 months later...

I just realized that I have been having a dream for some time about buying magazines. 

I realize it's Tuesday (which used to be New Magazine Day around here) and I'm at the shopping center where there's a newsstand and a drugstore and maybe a couple other places that have magazines. I go in and hit the jackpot--there are new issues of eight or ten of my favorites, and I buy them all! My town hasn't hasn't had a newsstand (or even a Border's) in over a decade, the best magazine vendor in town is Walmart. And many of my favorite magazines haven't even been published in years. I think I've had this dream at least a half dozen times in the last few months. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I just realized that I have been having a dream for some time about buying magazines. 

I realize it's Tuesday (which used to be New Magazine Day around here) and I'm at the shopping center where there's a newsstand and a drugstore and maybe a couple other places that have magazines. I go in and hit the jackpot--there are new issues of eight or ten of my favorites, and I buy them all! My town hasn't hasn't had a newsstand (or even a Border's) in over a decade, the best magazine vendor in town is Walmart. And many of my favorite magazines haven't even been published in years. I think I've had this dream at least a half dozen times in the last few months. :unsure:

Let us know when you see issue #207 on the newsstand.

A dream I often get, and have had for years, is of an incoming nuclear bomb. I can only remember parts of it but it starts with the sound of the siren and I'm running around looking for my family but I can never find them, there's a huge flash and I'm trying to scream but my lips feel glued shut and cant get it out, I'm usually kicked awake by my girlfriend at that point telling me to shut up!

My recurring dreams have been: Riding a motorcycle through Jacksonville at night, driving my car and the road is suddenly under water but my car keeps going and doesn't sink and when I look around me all I can see is open ocean, and one about trying to stop my car from going over a cliff but no matter how hard I push the brake pedal it doesn't stop. Who knows, maybe I have an obsession with being on the road. I have also had several different dreams that included my deceased brother in different roles. He's been gone since 1982.