Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recurring Dreams

Snake45

On another forum I frequent, someone started a thread on recurring dreams. It's been a lot of fun and I thought it might be here, too. 

Two common ones seem to involve school, and flying. I have both of those. 

I used to have a frequent one where I'm in school and I realize next week is the final, the drop date is long past, and I haven't done a bit of the reading or been to class in weeks. :blink: (The class is usually some kind of math or literature or language). Every college graduate I've ever asked about it has had this dream or something like it at least once, usually more than once.  

My flying dreams aren't really flying, but I've often dreamed I'm running down the street and discover that if I don't put my feet down, I just stay in the air, floating forward at the same speed. It's kind of like pedaling a bike and then coasting. It feels wonderful! :)

I've often had one where I'm carrying a gun somewhere you're not supposed to (like in NYC or New Jersey), and I don't have a CCW permit. For some reason the cops seal the place off and start shaking everyone down. They're not looking specifically for me, but if I'm caught with the gun, I'm gonna be in BIG trouble. I'm trying to find somewhere to ditch the thing, hopefully somewhere I can retrieve it later but that's definitely a secondary concern. I feel like I'm in a bad Harrison Ford or Kevin Costner movie.  :unsure:

So what are your recurring dreams? 

Edited by Snake45

I can’t really explain most of dreams,or remember every single detail of course.And lately I’ve been having some truly negative dreams.But I had one last night,that was so cool,and sort of “trippy”,I swear it was like I was in heaven.I even woke up during it,but was able to go back to it after I fell back to sleep.Something like I owned a huge business where folks would bring me their collectibles and I would sell them for people.Now I’am  currently involved with a real sort of “flea market”,where people are selling their antiques and collectibles in booths and show cases.But the best part of the dream was my area had a running stream with a warm waterfall that I could just hang out in.Anyway,idk,there were a lot of other details that were so soothing that I can’t exactly think of,but when I finally woke up in the morning I felt like a new person.It was the water fall and the river that was the best part of the dream...Weird Huh????.Then I had another one last night where my friend and I owned a custom 4X4 shop where we worked on people’s Jeeps and trucks.And I remember the friend was someone I used to hang out with all the time,but lost touch with a while ago.I gotta say,the human mind is a fascinating place sometimes..Holy cow,weird,ah as long as their positive and no one dies.??..Or at least that’s what I remembered.????

8 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I used to have a recurring dream that I was being shot and not dying....... May be why I hate guns now.....

Better?

Not a great dream, but it was recurring and therefore exactly on-topic, so....better! B)

I have a recurring dream about finding myself at a station north of the centre of London, catching a stopping train then walking down through the City on my way home in South London. I began to get these maybe 12 years after I moved from South London to South Wales. But I do enjoy these dreams, sort of like revisiting an earlier part of my life.

I have another one that our house has a load of extra rooms, and the gardens are huge, with hitherto unknown lawns and shrubs. 

A third one I have had a few times is all about being in a large semi-derelict institution. Sometimes I go right into the basement and emerge on a railway station platform - which then fits into the beginning of the first dream I mentioned.

None of these are bad dreams but sometimes I fell a sense of loss when I wake up and none of it was true, especially with the second dream. 

I have had the flying dream too, sometimes it seems so real I think 'This time it really is happening' - but it never is!

I have several recurring dreams, or at least very similar dreams. Some involve exes, or one of two cars I was particularly fond of, and a few more that are disturbing somewhat, but do have meaning to me. One of the most unpleasant involves backing down a long hill with no brakes, accelerating uncontrollably, and approaching certain doom. Typically in a Pantera, but featuring other vehicles from time to time. The flying ones are fun, but never last long enough...and when I try to take control of them, I always wake up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When I was a teenager I had a dream my sister asked to borrow some money.

(she later claimed she had a cogent conversation with me about it.)

I woke up Thinking it was just a dream and was really teed off when I discovered 

she had robbed me blind.

Also learned I talk in my sleep.?

Glad that's not a recurring one, I'd be broke by now.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Weird,I’ve a had a bunch lately with Drew Barrymore.Idk.I mean I’ve always had a kind of “crush”,for lack of a better word,?on her since I’m a kid..The last one was of both of us at a formal dinner party together.And man did she look good in a mini skirt.Lol??

I keep dreaming about Duluth, MN, and several of my relatives farms not far from Duluth. In my dreams Duluth is a much larger and much more cosmopolitan city than it is real life. And seem to really enjoy my visits to this version of Duluth. The visit to the farms, and the towns near those farms not so much. The main farm I visit in my dreams is my uncle Art's. Like Duluth, things are never the way remember them. But, for some reason I feel confused and not always pleased. 

For twelve years I worked as sub in several different schools. In several different districts. And with kids of all grades. Just this year, I agreed to take a full time position at the school I had subed the most at, and liked the best. A high school. And yet I commonly have dreams where I end up working at a different school. It maybe a school that I know. Than again it may not. If it is a school I know, it's always changed in ways that I don't understand or can remember. It makes it hard for me to find the classrooms I'm looking for. Yet I never get in trouble. And people always seem happy to see me. So, even if though these dreams seem confusing, they don't really seem all that bad. 

Many, many times over the decades, I've dreamed of being in a store or a flea market and finding boxes of old models being sold cheap or given away, digging through them and loading my arms to take them home, and then realizing that I'm going to wake up and they'll all be gone. I'm surprised nobody else has posted something like that? :huh:

46 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Uh, we are still talking about recurring dreams here, not real life, right? :unsure::lol:

I suppose it depends on your stance on the idea that we're all in a simulated "matrix".

It might be hard to say where "real life" ends and dreams begin, if you get my drift.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

On another forum I frequent, someone started a thread on recurring dreams. It's been a lot of fun and I thought it might be here, too. 

Two common ones seem to involve school, and flying. I have both of those. 

In your flying dreams...have you got chemtrails? lolz

?

Anyway...

I don't know that I have recurring dreams per se, but in a lot dreams I have an orange guitar. Which is weird, because even though I have almost 30 guitars, none are orange, nor have I ever owned an orange guitar.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

In your flying dreams...have you got chemtrails? lolz

?

Anyway...

I don't know that I have recurring dreams per se, but in a lot dreams I have an orange guitar. Which is weird, because even though I have almost 30 guitars, none are orange, nor have I ever owned an orange guitar.

It means that you want to own an orange guitar.?.Its that simple.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I tend to have a dream ever so often of my girlfriend I was ingaged to. She was killed and I dream she is alive waiting for me to pick her up. I am in town. When I start to go to her house I wake up. This always upsets me. She was killed in 92. A car hit her. 

Oh man,that’s not a dream bro,that’s a nightmare.Iam sorry for your loss...Seriously.I lost a loved one in a horrific motorcycle accident,and have had several dreams about it.But not for a long time.But I guess maybe by talking and thinking about it,I may have one tonight.Goodnite all.GOD bless 

I have had the one about not being prepared for a class or not knowing you were enrolled in it until the final, many times since 1991, when I graduated college.

Also have had one about my teeth cracking and crumbling out of my mouth many times.

There has also been a series of snake related ones, usually with me not seeing them at first because they are camouflaged.

Another one is thin worms, or maybe they are vines, poke through my finger tips and start growing uncontrollably.

And since my dad died in 2012, I have had reoccurring  dreams about him. Both good and bad. He died of cancer and it was horrible. At first the dreams were bad. But after a while they were better, but it is tough when you  wake up and you realize he is still dead.

Edited by larman

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

... I'm in school and I realize next week is the final, the drop date is long past, and I haven't done a bit of the reading or been to class in weeks. ... Every college graduate I've ever asked about it has had this dream or something like it at least once, usually more than once.

That one. Around 30 years ago when I worked as an airport shuttle van driver, I picked up a bunch of lab company co-workers and one of them brought up that awful dream, whereupon every one of the other guys said he'd had it. Wasn't my place to break into their conversation, so I didn't, but I thought it was hilarious that I'd had the same one, too. I still do, which drives me nuts this many years later. Or the variant where if I don't pass the final, I won't graduate.

Had the loose wobbly teeth one too many times, also. Always nice when I wake up and they are still planted in my jaws solid as a rock.

Another one is more fun, but scary to consider in real life:  upon approaching the top of a flight of stairs, instead of taking forever to step down each step, I can slide rapidly down 'em like a skier, barely hitting the upper edge of each step. I'm a pro at it in my dreams, and in real life, all I can do is count the number of broken bones I'd get from the first attempt to see if it is possible.

5 hours ago, Russell C said:

Another one is more fun, but scary to consider in real life:  upon approaching the top of a flight of stairs, instead of taking forever to step down each step, I can slide rapidly down 'em like a skier, barely hitting the upper edge of each step. I'm a pro at it in my dreams, and in real life, all I can do is count the number of broken bones I'd get from the first attempt to see if it is possible.

I think that's very similar to the one where I'm running and then floating as long as I don't put my feet down. I bet the feeling is similar, anyway. 

10 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Many, many times over the decades, I've dreamed of being in a store or a flea market and finding boxes of old models being sold cheap or given away, digging through them and loading my arms to take them home, and then realizing that I'm going to wake up and they'll all be gone. I'm surprised nobody else has posted something like that? :huh:

I have the 'find a bunch of old kits'  dream myself.  I find so many I can hardly carry them but the store is about to close so I try and carry them all.....piled up cartoon style I stumble along dropping a kit now and then until I get to my car with only one kit left. 

I thought the dream was because I really did  find about 40 kits in a old hardware store in the mountains of NC. All were from the 1960's and early 70's. This was back in 1981....I still have some of the kits but I sold a number of them for a lot more than I paid! 

I don't have recurring dreams, but I do have dreams with a recurring theme and thats' me being back in the Coast Guard. It's usually very weird and twisted, in no way resembling actual Coast Guard situations, and people from my life now are often there in the Coast Guard as well. I was in for 10 years, left in 2001 and I still miss it tremendously. This probably accounts for the dreams. Fair winds and following seas my friends.