Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Ford Galaxie "Jolly Green Gasser"

Casey

Looks like the 1/25 AMT "Jolly Green Gasser" 1965 Ford Galaxie kit is going to be reissued as kit #1192:

AMT-1192 1/25 1965 Ford Galaxie Jolly Green Gasser

AMT1192JollyGreenGassser.jpg.d1c326ef302525f3bf0c7635166b4fea.jpg

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, russosborne said:

Is this a real gasser type with straight front axle?

Can't tell from the picture of the box above.

Thanks,

Russ

I don't think so...never seen a straight axle w/ previous issues of the '65 Galaxie.   I googled it and found a pic of the original parts and box art, looks like the same 'ol, same 'ol...pretty much what's been in this kit for decades (without the NASCAR parts).   I do like the AMT '65 Galaxie, first one I built was the Barris issue from around 1980.

Vintage-60s-Jolly-Green-Gassr-Gasser-1965-Ford.jpg

jolly-green-gasser-vintage-amt-model_1_a269562289e7665bb04aac88d64434b9.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

That's how the original kit is...no "e" on the box, but the decals were correct.  

Round 2 does seem to tweak box art just a bit, to differentiate theirs from originals.  Maybe the new box will put the "e" in.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

That's how the original kit is...no "e" on the box, but the decals were correct. 

I hadn't noticed the difference until today, but it just struck me as odd AMT would have done it both ways back then.

I think the box art in the first post is the final art, as it appears the side dump exhaust tube diameter has been decreased on the new version. Very close to the original, though. 

I was just rereading an old Elapsed Times magazine with a nice article about Ford's 1965 C/FX Galaxies (289 Cobra engine with Webers). Might be fun to build one of those, either one of the real cars or a "phantom." 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...