Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small parts painting stand

There are quite a few boxes arriving at home one way or the other these days. Seeing something similar advertised by Gunze, I thought I'd make my own stand for painting small parts. I sliced up a corrugated card box using the steel rule I have on the bench as a width guide, glued the strips with PVA glue and stuck them on a base also cu from the box. I have a packet of bamboo barbecue skewers, and one £5 bag of 50 crocodile clips from eBay and I have a handy stand for holding small parts as they dry...

paint-stand.jpg

best,

M.

I've always used florist's foam, which works well except it generates dust after it's holed by enough toothpicks and skewers. A similar thread recently inspired me to pick up a cheap cat scratcher during one of my many, many trips to PetSmart. Cost about $6 and is basically the same idea as this only larger. I cut it down to 3 pieces and it's perfect!

2 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

I've always used florist's foam, which works well except it generates dust after it's holed by enough toothpicks and skewers. A similar thread recently inspired me to pick up a cheap cat scratcher during one of my many, many trips to PetSmart. Cost about $6 and is basically the same idea as this only larger. I cut it down to 3 pieces and it's perfect!

I use a block of florist's foam too. I left the clear wrapping on it and reuse the same holes over and over. Haven't has any of the dusting issues. Though I do have to "balance" the load to keep it from falling over. I like the suggestion of a 2x4 for more stability. (I may have a chunk of 4x4 hmm...)

IMG_1299.JPG