Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the plus's and minus's of the various car kits?

Hi,

Back in my teens and early '20s I built a lot of model cars from AMT and Revel and Monogram.  I dropped out of that for decades, but have recently gotten back into model car building again.   In looking for various kits that would interest me, I've found that I've lost touch with the various brands and really have little clue as to what is what in regards to quality, detail, difficulty, etc.

I do NOT wish to start a "versus" thread here, but I would like to know your thoughts on the various manufacturers 1/25 or 1/24 kits.

Thank you,

Bill Anderson

Spring, Texas

A lot of them are now under the same umbrella Round 2. You will find a variation in quality as there are old tools still in use as well as new kits. I find the Japanese kits like Tamiya and Europeans like Italeri and Heller are markedly better. It is difficult to discuss this without comparing. The big decision maker will be the subject you choose. Some companies are specialized and have only a certain type. Hope this helps. You will slso find a lot of aftermarket stuff to allow some creativity of your own.

Tamiya are the gold standard. Aoshima, Beemax and Ebro produce excellent kits these days. Hasegawa,  Fujimi and Revell Germany are a mixed bag with some real gems among them. But as said above, it depends on whether they make a kit of what you want to build. If you’re only interested in American cars, then you’re going to need Revell or Round2. Tim Boyd’s “Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits” is an invaluable guide to the good, the bad and the ugly of kits of US iron...

best,

M.

While I said I didn't want to start a "versus" thread, what I really meant was I didn't want to start a "flame war" of arguments. 

That said, I would like your thoughts on the quality, detail, & other differences between the kits from Revell, AMT (round2), Jo-han, Monogram, Ertl, Lindberg, MPC, and so on.

Thank you!

Bill Anderson

Moebius is a company I hadn't heard of 20+ years ago, but their model cars and trucks are consistently superb. 

Interesting subject matter, great details and build quality. If you're just getting back into building, you can't go wrong with them.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

2 minutes ago, Bill Anderson said:

I would like your thoughts on the quality, detail, & other differences between the kits from Revell, AMT (round2), Jo-han, Monogram, Ertl, Lindberg, MPC, and so on.

The simple fact is that every kit is a law unto itself. Every manufacturer has issued gems and turds, and the name on the box is no guarantee of getting one or the other. 

If you have questions about a specific make and model, I suggest you go down to the Kit Reviews section and run searches. Chances are you will turn up at least one thread on just about any model car you can think of. Read those, look at the pictures, and then ask any other questions that might arise from that research. We'll be more than glad to help. But your question as asked is basically unanswerable and will lead to nothing but bad feelings down the line. 

Welcome back to the hobby! There's never been a better time to be a car modeler. B)

Many of the kits I build are based upon fifty year old molds because of the subject matter.  This is no different than many other modelers that build cars of the 50-70's.  I personally do not like building a 1/25 promo like model (with an engine that half the time is incorrect for that model year) but until Monogram and Revell came out with better versions (although many in 1/24) there weren't many options.  I would love to see Tamiya and Fujumi etc. make the muscle and race cars I like (WITH an engine) but I know it just will never happen.  So, there are great models out there if you are not picky about the subject matter and there are some that are not too bad when taking into account the number of decades that have passed.  I guess the bottom line is build what you like and build box stock or go full out detailed with swapping parts and fixing errors - it's all up to you and enjoy this great hobby.

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Moebius is a company I hadn't heard of 20+ years ago, but their model cars and trucks are consistently superb. 

Interesting subject matter, great details and build quality. If you're just getting back into building, you can't go wrong with them.

I agree 100%.

Great stuff from Moebius!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

3 hours ago, Bill Anderson said:

While I said I didn't want to start a "versus" thread, what I really meant was I didn't want to start a "flame war" of arguments. 

That said, I would like your thoughts on the quality, detail, & other differences between the kits from Revell, AMT (round2), Jo-han, Monogram, Ertl, Lindberg, MPC, and so on.

Thank you!

Bill Anderson

Since you mention Johan, I assume that you have some interest in vintage models as well?

In the detail department, anything offered in the 50s or 60s originally is going to have short comings by today's standards.

That's a given.

But as far as body proportions go, you're going to have a really tough time finding anything better than an old Johan or AMT kit, and the subject matter from that era is much more diverse than today.

So there is a trade off.

Fortunately for us, we are modelers, not assembly line workers, so we can utilize the best of both worlds and in many cases can use those great body proportions and wonderful subject matter, and upgrade them to more modern standards with modern kit chassis and engine parts.

Personally, I look at most modern kits that I buy these days as nothing more than a "parts store" for refurbishing vintage kits.

But that's just me. ;)

Steve

Some Europeans:

ESCI: an Italian company that went out of business around 1991.  Italeri got its molds and re-issued many old ESCI kits over the years.  With a few exceptions, like its Renault R5's, ESCI made "curbside" kits with no engines.  The chassis are very well detailed and usually made up from separate side rails and cross-members.  Its bodies are also very sharp and well-done.  Italeri recently reissued the ESCI Range Rover from the 1980's and it still looks like it came from a brand-new mold.  ESCI kits do have their quirks, like their otherwise nice Toyota BJ-44 kit with no firewall.

Along with Italeri boxes, you'll sometimes find old ESCI kits in Revell of Germany boxes, like the Mercedes G-wagen Fire Department vehicle.  That kit has a lift gate/tail gate on the rear end.  Rally versions of the G-wagen kit are different and have side-opening "barn doors."

Heller: a French company that, like our American kitmakers, has had a lot of ups and downs thru the years.  The good news is that Heller does kits of cars and trucks that nobody else is ever likely to make:  a series of Citroen C4 vans including a Hotel Taxi, a Mercedes 170 4-door sedan and panel truck etc.  According to many modelers, Heller did the best Jaguar XKE coupe and roadster currently available.

The bad news is that Heller never uses 1 part when it can use 5.  And it often molds interior panels in one big clear piece with the glass. This requires careful masking or if you want open windows, careful cutting.  

Years ago Heller had a very bad habit: it put the clear parts in a separate plastic bag, but put the "rubber" tires in the same bag. That can cause the dreaded Tire Melt on the clear parts.  I always open old Heller kits to see if they did that.  If so, I cut the bag open and move the tires to a separate Ziploc bag. 

ITALERI: another Italian company that has done some nice 1/24 scale kits of its own, like the '57 Mercedes 300SL cabriolet ("the Topless Gullwing"). Also several classic car kits including '33 Cadillac V-16 town cars and a "Maharajah" Rolls-Royce. And from right in its own back yard, quite a few Ferraris that are frequently discussed on this board.  I always thought Italeri 1/24 scale kit engines and chassis looked a little soft on detail, but maybe that's just me.  And I haven't built any of their Ferraris. 

Edited by Mike999
goof

I've been looking at various reviews (via Google / youtube) of some kits I have been looking at or have already worked on.  

As mentioned earlier, it seems like each kit has its own plus/minus attributes.  

With the exception of the Tamiya Ford GT (I'll get it for father's day), all my cars and interests revolve around the '50s and early '60s American models - the cars of my youth of course.

On a side note........most all of my friends back then were motorheads to one degree or another.  But it seems like following generations just don't seem to care about cars.

I have 4 adult kids (all early '50s), and the three boys only cared about the stereo in their cars, and not much else............

I find that especially sad, for I had the knowledge/time/tools to teach them so much about cars...........but no one seemed to care.

If Tamiya made a 57 Chevy Bel Air in 1/24th or really big in 1/12th with their quality it would make a very popular kit. There are too many kits of this car from clapped out moulds getting re re re re issued.

Edited by Bugatti Fan