Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master, Pactra, Aztek paints DISCONTINUED

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just got off my dead butt and ordered over $100 worth of MM enamels (1/2 oz bottles) of what I figger I'll need. Found pretty much everything I was looking for except Pontiac Engine Blue and Black Chrome Trim. :(

I can probably find some Pontiac eng blue if you need it.  Email me.  It will be NOS from years ago, but I have yet to see any that has gone bad.  And I wouldn't send out a bad bottle.  

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Scalecoat II Loco Black has a similar sheen and it is a great paint which should be available for years to come (unless RPM buys them out too).

Never heard of this brand but appears to be for the railroad modelers? Saw it at Hobbylinc but "unavailable".

2 hours ago, randyc said:

I can probably find some Pontiac eng blue if you need it.  Email me.  It will be NOS from years ago, but I have yet to see any that has gone bad.  And I wouldn't send out a bad bottle.  

Appreciate it. You'll be hearing from me. B)

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

Never heard of this brand but appears to be for the railroad modelers? Saw it at Hobbylinc but "unavailable".

That is correct -  it is geared towards model RR hobby (just like a Floquil was). Scalecoat has been around for many decades, and still going strong.  Few years ago, it changed hands, but remained an independent manufacturer.  One of my hobbies is model RR, so I'm familiar with paints geared towards model RR.

But paint is paint - regardless of what the label says.  We often use craft paints, so why not model RR colors. Plus, black is black.

Those paints can be ordered directly from the manufacturer (they will also be freshest that way).

https://www.minutemanscalemodels.com/

Edited by peteski

22 hours ago, Draggon said:

I just received 8 Aztec Pearl airbrush paints. I ordered it from Wallmart, but it came from TCP Global. Interestingly, TCP Global has it listed as "sold out" on their website. Must have a deal with Wallmart. ? 

You didnt buy those paints from WalMart, you bought them from TCP Global via WalMart Online,  WalMart's online store is made up via third party sellers just like Amazon.

Edited by martinfan5

On 7/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, peteski said:

Scalecoat II Loco Black has a similar sheen and it is a great paint which should be available for years to come (unless RPM buys them out too).

Thanks for the heads-up. I did some research on them. 

Looks like the "II" is important--it's formulated for use on plastic. They say the I product will damage plastic. 

I see they also have several different blacks: 

2001 Loco Black (Matte)

2118 Engine Black (Satin finish)

And glossy and flat blacks too. 

What do you thin them with? Does lacquer thinner work? 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I did some research on them. 

Looks like the "II" is important--it's formulated for use on plastic. They say the I product will damage plastic. 

I see they also have several different blacks: 

2001 Loco Black (Matte)

2118 Engine Black (Satin finish)

And glossy and flat blacks too. 

What do you thin them with? Does lacquer thinner work? 

Yes, for styrene models the "II" (or "2") is the right paint to use.  But even the original Scalecoat is nowhere as hot as some automotive paints we use.

Scalecoat paints are enamels, and Scalecoat II even has a smell similar to the original Testors PLA or Pactra enamels in the little bottles.  I usually use the dedicated Scalecoat II thinner, but lacquer thinner will work too.

They sell spray cans too, but I never tried those.

Edited by peteski

11 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yes, for styrene models the "II" (or "2") is the right paint to use.  But even the original Scalecoat is nowhere as hot as some automotive paints we use.

Scalecoat paints are enamels, and Scalecoat II even has a smell similar to the original Testors PLA or Pactra enamels in the little bottles.  I usually use the dedicated Scalecoat II thinner, but lacquer thinner will work too.

They sell spray cans too, but I never tried those.

Very cool, thanks! 

Their prices don't look out of line vis-a-vis Model Master, either. 

I might try some of their black, and maybe even some of their silver or aluminum. 

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool, thanks! 

Their prices don't look out of line vis-a-vis Model Master, either. 

I might try some of their black, and maybe even some of their silver or aluminum. 

You're welcome Snake!  They come in 1 and 2oz. bottles which is larger than Model Master bottles.

6 hours ago, peteski said:

But paint is paint - regardless of what the label says.  We often use craft paints, so why not model RR colors. Plus, black is black.

I'm almost out of my (old) Floquil Railroad color paints and will miss them. I just used some Floquil "Grimy Black" enamel on a chassis, for a weathered car build.  Great stuff, it went on smooth and dried dead flat. They had lots of other colors useful on model cars too.  Antique White, Boxcar Red for red primer, Red Oxide for old rust, etc. etc.  

I remember when Floquil was lacquer, many years ago.  When they switched to enamel the paints seemed to work just as well.  They seemed a little easier to rub off accidentally,  I guess because the enamel didn't "bite" into the plastic like lacquer.   

Edited by Mike999
omit

4 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I'm almost out of my (old) Floquil paints and will miss them. I just used some "Grimy Black" enamel on a chassis, for a weathered car build.  Great stuff, it went on smooth and dried dead flat. They had lots of other colors useful on model cars too.  Antique White, Boxcar Red for red primer, Red Oxide for old rust, etc. etc.  

I remember when Floquil was lacquer, many years ago.  When they switched to enamel the paints seemed to work just as well.  They were a little easier to rub off accidentally,  I guess because the enamel didn't "bite" into the plastic like lacquer.   

I still have a decent stash of Floquil paints. :D

When RPM announced that they were discontinued, black paint sold out almost immediately. I remember scalpers on eBay wanting $20 per bottle!

Edited by peteski

On 7/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, Spex84 said:

Holy smokes! Thanks guys, I had no idea the brand name had been changed, nor did I know that Canadian Tire was selling it. 

Hi Chris!

Actually, Can Tire bought "clearance" leftovers from Rustoleum, and carried a very limited variety of extreme lacquer, untill they ran out of it. My local Michael's sells the spay cans for 2.47$ these days, and little bottles fo 1.77$. . My local stores in Qc city (I visited them all...) have no clear, alas...

CT

A couple more colors I really like from Model Master are Steel and Jet Exhaust. Don't know of anything that look like these colors.

I mostly use Tamiya bottle paint but there are some Model Master ones that fill in the gaps nicely.

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

A couple more colors I really like from Model Master are Steel and Jet Exhaust. Don't know of anything that look like these colors.

I mostly use Tamiya bottle paint but there are some Model Master ones that fill in the gaps nicely.

Steel and Jet Exhaust are probably two of the most universal & my personal favorites in the Model Master line. I use Jet Exhaust on every genre of kit I build. In fact bought two more bottles at my LHS today. Get it while I can. The brass and copper are equally good too.

15 hours ago, TonyK said:

Steel is also available in the Testor little bottle line, so that should still be available. I don't like it as much as the old Pactra Steel, which was darker and flatter, but I use it anyway. I've been meaning to try mixing a little flat black into it to see if I can get it more like the Pactra. 

Jet Exhaust is good stuff--my go-to paint for carburetors and a few other things. I think if I HAD to, I could make it by mixing a little gold or perhaps a brown into their Aluminum or Steel and get by. 

In the little bottles, Testors also has (had?) several flat metallic colors: Flat Steel, Flat Brass etc.  Useful when you want a metallic color without the shininess. Not metallic, but their "Rubber" paint came in the little bottles too.  It's a very dark brown, nearly black, that really looks like old, worn rubber. I use that stuff a lot.  

Hobby Lobby sells a boxed set of metallic paints, intended for painting armored knights and other figures.  Because my brain is failing, I can't remember who makes it.  

• 5 months later...