Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 9/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, CabDriver said:

My local store had a BUNCH of kits marked down to $7.49 today - AMT, Revell, some snap kits, that little Airfix VW Bus that they all seem to have - a good mix of stuff too.

Making room for new stuff for Christmas, maybe?

Jim, thanks for the heads up. Guessing you were probably at the Valpo location?

On my way to Menards I stopped at the Hobart store, and can confirm they have a similar selection of markdowns.

I got the last of the '70 Vette and the '76 Stepside.  In addition to the five above, I also saw the Revell snap Ford Raptor and Ford GT, and the AMT snap Chrysler Concord.  Wouldn't be surprised if there were some others that were already gone.

Closeout price is 75% off original. That's why the Revell '66 is cheaper than the others, since it was originally $26.99 vs $29.99.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The "discount it and blow the last of them out" deal hasn't happened around here since pre-Covid.  I figured they're probably selling everything they get lately, so they didn't have to do that anymore.  

Same here - haven't seen it in years, and didn't expect to ever see it again at these types of prices.  (Maybe less disposable income = sales slowdown?)

13 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Jim, thanks for the heads up. Guessing you were probably at the Valpo location?

Yes sir!  I would’ve picked up those ‘50 and ‘66 Chevy pickups too if they had those.  

Funny thing - I’ve wanted to grab a 40 Ford delivery for ages now, and the Valpo store never had any.  Then, when they finally get one, it’s on clearance already 🤪😂

Edited by CabDriver

Stopped at the closer of the two area stores yesterday.  Same kits being blown out as in other areas, shelf stickers for those marked "D" (discontinued).  All of those spaces were empty last week, hadn't seen those kits in a while.  One '50 Chevy pickup left...I've got a couple of those already, so someone else can get a deal.  Hopefully they'll get some interesting stuff in to replace the discontinued items.

Mine doesn't seem to have model kits on sale except for regular, every other week 40% off thing. I checked the local weekly online flyer, and it seems like the have a lot of Christmas and regular stuff on sale, but not one model kit. Guess it a regional thing.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

They never advertise the clearance stuff.  Some stores have more of it than others, and some have people who literally show up every day looking, and load up a cart when they see it.

And then flood FB pages or eBay with the discounted models at MSRP!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mark said:

Hopefully they'll get some interesting stuff in to replace the discontinued items.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Seems like over the last year especially, they've added very few of the new Revell releases.

I'd like to see them add the '56 Del Ray, the '37 Ford pickup, and the '30 Model A coupe.  All those seem to be in short supply at my LHS, so I'm assuming strong demand.  In fact, I haven't seen the '30 coupe in months - I'm assuming the first run was completely sold out (?) I only managed to get two, but would like several more.

There's also plenty of upcoming stuff I'd like to see them add like the ex-RR '32 Roadster and the '71 Olds 442.

• Like 1