Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

21 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Huh, I never saw those 32 Sedans in the HL near me - got lucky at Christmas…Walmart had them so I got one there instead.  I’d pick up a few of those for $18 a piece just for some of the parts!

Jim, if you're near the Hobart HL they've had the Coke '32 Sedan Deliveries the last couple times I've been there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Jim, if you're near the Hobart HL they've had the Coke '32 Sedan Deliveries the last couple times I've been there.

Good tip, thank you sir!  I get my wife’s car serviced at the Honda dealer right by there…I’ll take a look!

22 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I just wanted to offer a reminder, I know it has been said before but I sometimes forget. I went today and remembered to check behind the boxes, and found three kits that were the only one left. I bought this one: 20220129_153450.jpg.5089bc6e26e28fe9b1cf76bfcc520072.jpg

Nice score! Sometimes it pays to peek what’s hiding behind some of these kit boxes on display at Hobby Lobby. Funny to find customers thinking by hiding them behind other kits with intention to come back later. Sucker! LOL!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Nice score! Sometimes it pays to peek what’s hiding behind some of these kit boxes on display at Hobby Lobby. Funny to find customers thinking by hiding them behind other kits with intention to come back later. Sucker! LOL!

Better you than them I suppose....😉👌

• 4 weeks later...

Hobby Lobby Miami.  I have a feeling this store does not sell as many models as the stores in the suburbs but it is the only place I have seen that sells kits within ten miles and I live in a major city.

1B9382ED-6EEE-4502-B3FF-36F275E55473.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

22 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Hobby Lobby Miami.  I have a feeling this store does not sell as many models as the stores in the suburbs but it is the only place I have seen that sells kits within ten miles and I live a major city.

1B9382ED-6EEE-4502-B3FF-36F275E55473.jpeg

Well that’s pretty stocked but alas.... it’s a typical stock for Hobby Lobby. Never anything new but the same old, same old.

Yeah, the shelves around here get bare as well when they have the 40% off.  Been waiting on the AMT 67 Chevelle Pro Street, AMT 66 Nova Pro Street, AMT 1950 Chevy pickup, and the 40 Willy's pickup to hit the shelves but I don't think I'm going to see them anymore.  

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Yeah, the shelves around here get bare as well when they have the 40% off.  Been waiting on the AMT 67 Chevelle Pro Street, AMT 66 Nova Pro Street, AMT 1950 Chevy pickup, and the 40 Willy's pickup to hit the shelves but I don't think I'm going to see them anymore.  

You can order from them Bob, if you get a wrong kit you can return it to the store…

Stopped by yesterday to pick up that Coca Cola '55 Cameo truck. There are a lot of parts I could use from it. I reminded them that they still have none of the little Testors bottles in flat black and the girl said she remembered when I told her a few months back. Still no flat black.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:31 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

Or order them from Scalehobbyist, and other online hobby stores. I wouldn’t trust ordering anything from Hobby Lobby.

I order from them just not models, I would try if I want something bad enough to try. You have a good point..

On 2/25/2022 at 7:17 AM, Zippi said:

if you ever get up to Richmond, IN, check there....they usually have them

35 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

It seems like I haven't seen any new kits in a long time. When do they usually start to come in?

Part of the problem of lack of new stuff can probably be tied into the shipping issues from China. And they probably have to place large orders to ensure they have decent inventory and China has had restraints on production for several months. They reduced the electricity to plants so there would be less air pollution before and during the Olympics.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Part of the problem of lack of new stuff can probably be tied into the shipping issues from China. And they probably have to place large orders to ensure they have decent inventory and China has had restraints on production for several months. They reduced the electricity to plants so there would be less air pollution before and during the Olympics.

i did not know that…

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

If that's the case, then how are the online stores able to get new kits? If the smaller operations can figure out how to get kits, I think HL should be able to get them too. They don't seem to have any problem keeping the rest of the overpriced BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that they sell on the shelves. How much of that stuff comes from  other  countries, and why are they not having  issues?

9 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

If that's the case, then how are the online stores able to get new kits? If the smaller operations can figure out how to get kits, I think HL should be able to get them too. They don't seem to have any problem keeping the rest of the overpriced BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that they sell on the shelves. How much of that stuff comes from  other  countries, and why are they not having  issues?

Rich maybe because they are buying for 932 stores and not just one.  I don't think they are buying a case or 2 to sell. 

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Rich maybe because they are buying for 932 stores and not just one.  I don't think they are buying a case or 2 to sell. 

It could also be that HL reviews their sales figures and decide what to stock based upon that. If there is only so many slots available on the shelf and they are giving a decent ROI, then why change it? And the kit manufacturers probably need a commitment from HL before they run 20,000 kits because that is a lot of money to tie up hoping someone is going to buy them.

In a recent video, Round 2 mentioned that the price of a shipping container from China went from $3,000 to almost $20,000. You can imagine what it has done to the prices of ANYTHING shipped from overseas. And before someones says..."That's why they should make them here in the USA", take a look around at all the businesses that are struggling to hire workers and ask yourself if a model company wouldn't have that same problem. If $15 an hour is starting pay for flipping burgers, what do you think a machine operator makes in a factory?

Edited by mikemodeler

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

It could also be that HL reviews their sales figures and decide what to stock based upon that. If there is only so many slots available on the shelf and they are giving a decent ROI, then why change it? And the kit manufacturers probably need a commitment from HL before they run 20,000 kits because that is a lot of money to tie up hoping someone is going to buy them.

In a recent video, Round 2 mentioned that the price of a shipping container from China went from $3,000 to almost $20,000. You can imagine what it has done to the prices of ANYTHING shipped from overseas. And before someones says..."That's why they should make them here in the USA", take a look around at all the businesses that are struggling to hire workers and ask yourself if a model company wouldn't have that same problem. If $15 an hour is starting pay for flipping burgers, what do you think a machine operator makes in a factory?

That supply chain thing comes back to bite us yet again. 😖