Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

• 1 month later...

New to the hobby? Never have been to HL?
Most of the time they have the 40% discount on model kits. They used to be a discount coupon now is 40% on all models, although most common critique is the lack of variety between stores. 

Since mine is more than 100 miles away(Puerto Rico) if I were you will try to fill the cart, doesn’t matter if repeated. Happy Modeling!

You have to look carefully online.  They sell some kits by type,  eg 4x4, which may include a Ford, a Chevy, and a dodge.  Which one you get is up to them. There is a disclaimer about it next to the picture of the kit.  If you want a specific kit you gotta call them.😡

49 minutes ago, customline said:

They have that disclaimer on the '53 Stude in a tin box. How many choices do they have on that one? I was going to order it but then I saw the "note" down below the description so I started looking around and ordered another '29 roadster 🥴 

The store I stopped at today had the Charger Daytona from the "postage stamp/tin box" series, so there's a chance you could get that one.

The clearance section had an AMT '70 Camaro (orange version) that was missing the grille, for $5.74.  I already had a Model King issue that I bought minus front bumpers for a buck (back when it was new; that hobby shop closed four years ago), so I grabbed this one.  I thought someone might have swiped the grille and then returned the kit...nope.  Sealed bag with the plated tree inside, no grille on the tree.

They also had an HO scale slot car set...don't know the original price, but it was marked $65.  Both cars were missing...Round 2 should think twice about making them so easy to get at without opening the box...

53 minutes ago, Mark said:

The store I stopped at today had the Charger Daytona from the "postage stamp/tin box" series, so there's a chance you could get that one.

The clearance section had an AMT '70 Camaro (orange version) that was missing the grille, for $5.74.  I already had a Model King issue that I bought minus front bumpers for a buck (back when it was new; that hobby shop closed four years ago), so I grabbed this one.  I thought someone might have swiped the grille and then returned the kit...nope.  Sealed bag with the plated tree inside, no grille on the tree.

They also had an HO scale slot car set...don't know the original price, but it was marked $65.  Both cars were missing...Round 2 should think twice about making them so easy to get at without opening the box...

I would have been quite disappointed with the Daytona. I have one already that I don't want to build 🥴 but I could sell the box on Ebay for hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars!🤪

I stopped by my local HL today and grabbed a few kits. See "what did you get today". One thing I noticed since my last visit- they have shrank the kit section to add more gundam & stars wars type stuff. Looks like they cut out some armor & aircraft, car kit selection looked to be unaffected. Didn't want to grab pics as there was an employee doing inventory in the aisle. 

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

You have to look carefully online.  They sell some kits by type,  eg 4x4, which may include a Ford, a Chevy, and a dodge.  Which one you get is up to them. There is a disclaimer about it next to the picture of the kit.  If you want a specific kit you gotta call them.😡

Sometimes instead of gambling on what kit you might get sometimes you find the new kits with free shipping on eBay at 28 o29, dollars with no shipping comes our about the same as 40 percent off.

13 hours ago, customline said:

I would have been quite disappointed with the Daytona. I have one already that I don't want to build 🥴 but I could sell the box on Ebay for hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars!🤪

Revell should have done that with their '69 Dodge Daytona kit.... Oh, well...

Edited by deuces wild

56 minutes ago, deuces wild said:

Revell should have done that with their '69 Dodge Daytona kit.... Oh, well...

That's the one I have.  Got it on clearance somewhere. I know it's historic but it's way too long. Won't fit in a regular display box. Good for parts though 🙂

• Like 1

Stopped at my local HL (Hobart, IN) on the way home from work. Was happy to see the '64 Olds Cutlass/442 hardtop, first time I've seen that one there.

Grabbed the only one they had on the shelf, and was ready to head to the checkout when I realized there was a hole punched in the bottom.  Fairly small and looked like it was probably from shipping/stocking, but it was big enough that someone might have been able to slip the tire pack out through it.  Either that and/or the possibility of damage made me set it back on the shelf.  Been dealing with too many kit returns lately.

Hopefully I can find a clean one soon. Unfortunately this HL is famous for stocking certain kits one time, then they're MIA ever after.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

You mean that same idiot who bragged about his huge vintage car kit find on YouTube? Pfffftttt....

it was actually not Andy (the hobby shop owner) that posted those videos you are referring to. Andy's is a very well stocked, very well run model shop. I would certainly go there more often, but it is over 70 miles one way for me. 

7 hours ago, slusher said:

went by Hobby Lobby in Jackson, Tn stock seems to be going backwards. 32 Coke sedan delivery back but they did have a convertible 64 Oldsmobile..

Huh, I never saw those 32 Sedans in the HL near me - got lucky at Christmas…Walmart had them so I got one there instead.  I’d pick up a few of those for $18 a piece just for some of the parts!

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1