Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

If $15 an hour is starting pay for flipping burgers, what do you think a machine operator makes in a factory?

Probably not much more.  I've been a cabinet finisher for 35+ years, over 40 in the wood industry,  and I'm only making 5 more than that, the same wage I  was being paid in 08.

Edited by Classicgas

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Probably not much more.  I've been a cabinet finisher for 35+ years, over 40 in the wood industry,  and I'm only making 5 more than that, the same wage I  was being paid in 08.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I was making the same wages as I was 14 years ago, I don't know how I'd be able to live. If my employer couldn't pay me more money, I would find one who could.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:01 PM, mikemodeler said:

Part of the problem of lack of new stuff can probably be tied into the shipping issues from China. And they probably have to place large orders to ensure they have decent inventory and China has had restraints on production for several months. They reduced the electricity to plants so there would be less air pollution before and during the Olympics.

I disagree. Better hobby online stores (Scalehobbyist, Hobbylinc, etc...) get new kits first on a weekly basis. Hobby Lobby aren’t even at that level with the big boys. That’s why they always get the same old, same old Revell/AMT/MPC/Bandai stock restocked on their shelves. Keep in mind.... Hobby Lobby is an Arts and Craft store, not a hobby shop.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:22 PM, Mike C. said:

It seems like I haven't seen any new kits in a long time. When do they usually start to come in?

Hobby Lobby very rarely get new / different kits. It’s always the same old kits every time. Michael’s is the same way.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I was making the same wages as I was 14 years ago, I don't know how I'd be able to live. If my employer couldn't pay me more money, I would find one who could.

Good luck with that; especially today. Look around you at every store you go to. Even private sector businesses are looking for help. Nobody wants to work anymore. Hence the reason unemployment rate is so high. They’d rather sit home and do nothing because they’re making more on  unemployment checks than when they were working.

Stupidity at its finest with these young folks today. Just wait til they reach retirement age. They’re gonna find their monthly pension and social security checks are gonna be pretty dismal. 

Even if they do get back to work after 2, 3, 4, or more years after being on unemployment, they’re not gonna be able to retire at 62 or 65 as they hope to. They’ll have to keep working til they’re 70 or 75. 

The trouble is young folks today aren’t worrying about retirement or planning for retirement. Their mentality is “I’ve got plenty of time to worry about retiring” 

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

This employer is paying me way more than any but my last one, and they were still less. I'm pretty much at the top of the earning curve for my field of work. I lost my job in 08, I wasn't able to find full time work until 2011. At that point I had to take what I could,  and cabinet shops weren't paying finishers well.  In fact still finishers are paid less than cabinet builders and we are every bit as skilled if not more so.

Edited by Classicgas

9 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I was not talking about the models, but all the other junk that fills the other 99% of the store!

Gotcha. I misread.

You know what they say though, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Somebody’s aunt is buying that junk. 🤣

13 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I was not talking about the models, but all the other junk that fills the other 99% of the store!

Junk that filled the other 99% of the store? ROFLMAO! 

You do realize Hobby Lobby is an Arts & Craft store not a LHS, right? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Junk that filled the other 99% of the store? ROFLMAO! 

You do realize Hobby Lobby is an Arts & Craft store not a LHS, right? 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I realize that! All you have to do is walk through the store to figure that out. I don't think they give a rat's rear end about car models(or modelers). They are more interested in selling $600 doll houses, and $200 pieces of furniture that look like they came from a yard sale.

• Haha 1

Lets all get back to what models are on the shelf and keep in mind that Hobby Lobby is the ONLY LHS for many folks and many people do not like to purchase items online (no matter what you may think about that).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

Lets all get back to what models are on the shelf and keep in mind that Hobby Lobby is the ONLY LHS for many folks and many people do not like to purchase items online (no matter what you may think about that).

That’s true when there’s no real LHS in their area. Heck.... LHS are few and far in between and scarce nowadays. As far as purchasing items online especially models and supplies - we don’t always have a choice but it is what it is. eBay is the same thing as online purchase when you think about it.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, RichCostello said:

Yeah, I realize that! All you have to do is walk through the store to figure that out. I don't think they give a rat's rear end about car models(or modelers). They are more interested in selling $600 doll houses, and $200 pieces of furniture that look like they came from a yard sale.

Look in their website and show me where pieces of furniture are running $200. Most are under $20. But yeah.... it adds up buying different pieces of furniture for a single dollhouse. They certainly don’t look like they’re from a yard sale. 

As far as dollhouses goes, they are a kit too. No different than a car model kit except more expensive. LOL! Had I had a daughter, I’d build one for her. The most expensive one I saw was $549, the cheapest about $90.

So... no, I don’t think Hobby Lobby is in the business to cater to car modelers. They cater to everyone in all forms of hobbies from sewing, crotchet, art, quilting, decor, etc...

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Look in their website and show me where pieces of furniture are running $200. Most are under $20. But yeah.... it adds up buying different pieces of furniture for a single dollhouse. They certainly don’t look like they’re from a yard sale. 

As far as dollhouses goes, they are a kit too. No different than a car model kit except more expensive. LOL! Had I had a daughter, I’d build one for her. The most expensive one I saw was $549, the cheapest about $90.

So... no, I don’t think Hobby Lobby is in the business to cater to car modelers. They cater to everyone in all forms of hobbies from sewing, crotchet, art, quilting, decor, etc...

I didn't mean dollhouse furniture.

15 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

FYI: Went to my local Hobby Lobby to browse the kits and when I got to the checkout was informed that as of 03-01-22, the 40%-Off Coupon has been discontinued and will no longer be available.

They did away with the weekly coupon about a year ago.  Now they have curtain times “on sale” every week which does included model kits at 40% off usually every other week.

2 hours ago, P51Mustang said:

Found the AMT 71 Mach One Yellow at hobby lobby today. Bought it at no discount full price as I won't be going there for a while with higher gas prices....

What was the retail price?  Close to $40?

4 hours ago, P51Mustang said:

Found the AMT 71 Mach One Yellow at hobby lobby today. Bought it at no discount full price as I won't be going there for a while with higher gas prices....

Someone buying at HL at msrp is a sign of the apocalypse you know. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, '70 Grande said:

FYI: Went to my local Hobby Lobby to browse the kits and when I got to the checkout was informed that as of 03-01-22, the 40%-Off Coupon has been discontinued and will no longer be available.

I'm confused. At first i thought I had accidently stumbled on an old post. The weekly 40% coupon that you could use on "anything" in the store was discontinued a year ago. So I'm curious what the checkout person was talking about. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:05 PM, vamach1 said:

What was the retail price?  Close to $40?

Their price is $29.99.  I found one there a couple of weeks ago and bought it.  With the 40% off, and sales tax added, mine came in under $20.

• Thanks 1