Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Went to my local hobby lobby today and they had about 7-8 new kits. It was stuff I wasn't interested in so I couldn't tell you what they were, but they were definitely new. There's still empty spaces, but those appear to be from the Bronco and Camaro selling out. One interesting thing I noticed is that they had a new stock of discounted clear display boxes. I had gone a week prior and purchased what was then left. I wonder if they're going with a new brand of cases or if they're trying to discontinue them entirely.

Went to the HL at TC, MI this morning and bought the 1970 Buick GSX that I wanted, and, a '69 Charger R/T that will be a paint practice project. A number of new model items were on the shelves but I noticed crushed kit boxes so will look again during the next sale week. New kits were all at the $39.00 price point; glad for the 40% off opportunity.

Joe

It all boils down to subject matter.  If HL has something you're interested in, chances are that on those "40% off" weeks it will be cheaper there than anywhere else.  Even with the Revell kits coming in there at $40 now, $24 plus tax is likely as cheap as you're going to get that particular item.

• Like 6

HL is where I have been purchasing my hobby kits and supplies for quite some time now, and I will continue to do so as long as there is subject matter that interest me and the 40% sales week continues. Plenty of purchased kits downstairs in the hobby room to keep me busy for a long time and purchasing the kits at HL sure beats buying something at the local hobby store where they act like they really don't give a rats fart whether someone is there or not. I am glad to have the HL option for hobby items as the next closest hobby shop is some 50 miles away. 

Joe

• Like 2

Went to HL this afternoon to grab a couple of donor kits for upcoming projects. I knew HL on a Saturday would be busy, but trying to find a parking place was one thing, getting in the store and walking around was another! I made a bee line to the models, grabbed what I needed and went to the front of the store to check out. Every register was open and as near as I could tell, everyone was spending a LOT of money (except me!) as the lines were LONG and the carts were full. Took 10-15 minutes to check out but two kits for $38 with tax was worth it.

Note to self- Don't go to Hobby Lobby on a Saturday! Cashier said it was non-stop since they opened at 9.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Went to HL this afternoon to grab a couple of donor kits for upcoming projects. I knew HL on a Saturday would be busy, but trying to find a parking place was one thing, getting in the store and walking around was another! I made a bee line to the models, grabbed what I needed and went to the front of the store to check out. Every register was open and as near as I could tell, everyone was spending a LOT of money (except me!) as the lines were LONG and the carts were full. Took 10-15 minutes to check out but two kits for $38 with tax was worth it.

Note to self- Don't go to Hobby Lobby on a Saturday! Cashier said it was non-stop since they opened at 9.

I made the mistake of popping into a HL on a Friday evening after work. Exact same scenario as yours. Just absolute pandemonium! 

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Same here, went this afternoon, never seen so many cars in the parking lot, place was mobbed……

On 11/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Joe Nunes said:

HL is where I have been purchasing my hobby kits and supplies for quite some time now, and I will continue to do so as long as there is subject matter that interest me and the 40% sales week continues. Plenty of purchased kits downstairs in the hobby room to keep me busy for a long time and purchasing the kits at HL sure beats buying something at the local hobby store where they act like they really don't give a rats fart whether someone is there or not. I am glad to have the HL option for hobby items as the next closest hobby shop is some 50 miles away. 

Joe

I've got one "lhs" one county over from me. It is a hobbytown... and they have the same "idgaf" attitude that you describe... last time I went in was to buy some alclad because they are the only dealer that's local.

The guy spent almost 10min before he would let me check out explaining to me why I NEEDED to buy Alcalds thinner... instead of just ya know using cheap lacquer thinner from home depot.

I told him I'm glad they offer the product, but I personally do not need it... but he continued on... it was cringey and painful and made me not want to go back into the store.

So yeah, hobby lobby and 40% has been a real nice thing for me also.

40 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I've got one "lhs" one county over from me. It is a hobbytown... and they have the same "idgaf" attitude that you describe... last time I went in was to buy some alclad because they are the only dealer that's local.

The guy spent almost 10min before he would let me check out explaining to me why I NEEDED to buy Alcalds thinner... instead of just ya know using cheap lacquer thinner from home depot.

I told him I'm glad they offer the product, but I personally do not need it... but he continued on... it was cringey and painful and made me not want to go back into the store.

So yeah, hobby lobby and 40% has been a real nice thing for me also.

lol, I remember my first time going to hobbytown and i was looking for spazstix chrome.  I found it and the lady that was behind the counter out of no where was like:" Those are airbrush paints", and i turned and looked at her and told her YES i know.  Haven't seen that woman there ever sense lol, but there is still 2 girls and a guy that's rarely there they never bother anyone, and i never ask for help or anything because i know what I'm looking at and for.  Sometimes the guy when he's there  will rarely ask if i need glue as if I'm a kid and can't think for myself, but the 2 girls are clueless and just there for a pay check.  Otherwise my hobbytown isn't that bad with a great selection of any kit, almost any paint, etc etc AND good lego sets once in a while.  Mainly now IF i go to hobby lobby i will check and see if they have a sale on brushes and the car plague and stuff.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 5:24 PM, tbill said:

Same here, went this afternoon, never seen so many cars in the parking lot, place was mobbed……

I went to Hobby Lobby in Morgan Hill, CA yesterday and found the same thing.  Parking lot packed and long lines.  Also they raised the prices of some Revell kits.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

This is 40% off week. 

And this is the reason kits are $39.99... so every other week they can sell them at regular retail price!  😆

I have an eBay store for stamp collectors.  Sales were pretty flat.  I learned from a sellers group...  I upped all my prices by 25%.  Then I run a 20% off sale when you buy three or more items!   Shipped 70 orders last week!     There's a lesson in there guys!  

• Like 1

Retail price on Revell car kits HAS gone up recently, so said one of the vendors at the Three Rivers show this year.  Not $40, but $38 as I recall.  I've got a guy pestering me to sell another one of my Revell Austin gasser kits (I let him have a surplus one for $20 a couple of years ago).  Nope, next time it's out again it will top $40 with sales tax included, and quite frankly it ain't worth that.  I'm not selling one for $20 only to have to spend $40 to replace it...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Retail price on Revell car kits HAS gone up recently, so said one of the vendors at the Three Rivers show this year.  Not $40, but $38 as I recall.  I've got a guy pestering me to sell another one of my Revell Austin gasser kits (I let him have a surplus one for $20 a couple of years ago).  Nope, next time it's out again it will top $40 with sales tax included, and quite frankly it ain't worth that.  I'm not selling one for $20 only to have to spend $40 to replace it...

I agree with you sir, I have one kit since the price went up and if they go up any more the coupon will not be much good. 

17 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

And this is the reason kits are $39.99... so every other week they can sell them at regular retail price!  😆

I have an eBay store for stamp collectors.  Sales were pretty flat.  I learned from a sellers group...  I upped all my prices by 25%.  Then I run a 20% off sale when you buy three or more items!   Shipped 70 orders last week!     There's a lesson in there guys!  

If you look up Stevens International, they show what the MSRP is on kits and most of them vary between $29 and $39, just like Hobby Lobby has them priced.

Do us cheap modelers pay MSRP? Most of us do not, we know which online sellers and LHS have discounted the prices of kits. And we always have the option of NOT buying a kit.

To your point Tom about the discount increasing your sales- that is old fashioned marketing 101 logic. Same as the Buy One Get One scheme.

• Like 1