Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
89AKurt

No Charger or Challenger SRT Hellcat kit?

Recommended Posts

Is there really no kit of the Dodge Challenger or Charger SRT Hellcat?  I see there are die-cast models.  Reason I asked, getting a Lamborghini Chetah kit, which is motorized, thought keeping with the Chrysler V8 theme would be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in either one or both myself. These kits of the earlier version of both of these didn't do well, but I feel that had to do as much with the lack of a GOOD detailed kit to build. While they looked good body wise they were curb side builders. There's a place for these in the hobby but I think that a well detailed kit such as what has been done of the Mustang and Camaro and then they would have a chance to turn a profit on such a kit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, espo said:

I would be interested in either one or both myself. These kits of the earlier version of both of these didn't do well, but I feel that had to do as much with the lack of a GOOD detailed kit to build. While they looked good body wise they were curb side builders. There's a place for these in the hobby but I think that a well detailed kit such as what has been done of the Mustang and Camaro and then they would have a chance to turn a profit on such a kit.  

Revell did a detailed 1/25 Challenger that had a decent engine and chassis as well as one like the C7 Vette and ZL1 Camaro, AMT was a curbside.  Chargers, a different story.  A few sources for the engine only, if that will work for you.

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/07187.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that there aren't more of the recent Mustang, Camaro and Challenger "muscle cars" on the market, they are popular so I think the demand is there and I would for sure buy them if there were any available.
I really like the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock drag racing versions and I would like to be able to build them, likewise with some of the road racing cars, the only available one is the Mustang GT4 from Tamiya, but that's a curbside with no engine and I don't like that, but if it was a full detail kit with a detailed engine bay I would have bought it allready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, porschercr said:

I've got a couple of engines from this seller, including the Demon mill.  They're great.  I've got an eye on a couple of others that are sold out right now.  Not sure what I'm going to put the Demon engine in, but I think it would be great in an Imperial, or maybe the X-EL '59 Chrysler promo sitting in the display case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Force said:

I'm surprised that there aren't more of the recent Mustang, Camaro and Challenger "muscle cars" on the market, they are popular so I think the demand is there and I would for sure buy them if there were any available.
I really like the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock drag racing versions and I would like to be able to build them, likewise with some of the road racing cars, the only available one is the Mustang GT4 from Tamiya, but that's a curbside with no engine and I don't like that, but if it was a full detail kit with a detailed engine bay I would have bought it allready.

Not so sure Round 2 did so well with the newer Camaro, I have seen them on clearance.  GM isn't doing so great with it either...if I were to bet on it, I'd say the current generation car will be the last.

Dodge is doing well with the Challenger, but it is long in the tooth.  With the Stellantis merger coming, who knows how long the Challenger (or Dodge itself) will be around.

That leaves the Mustang, like everyone else I'm surprised no "domestic" kit manufacturer has done, or announced one.  Or the new Corvette for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

Revell did a detailed 1/25 Challenger that had a decent engine and chassis as well as one like the C7 Vette and ZL1 Camaro, AMT was a curbside.  Chargers, a different story.  A few sources for the engine only, if that will work for you.

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/07187.pdf

 

Thank you for the heads up on the Revell Challenger kit. I'll have to see if I can find one around here. The Charger is actually my main interest as an owner. We got a '19 Charger GT with the AWD system to replace our '09 Charger RT with the AWD. I have always been mainly what you would consider a GM type even though I have owned Fords also thru the years. For me the general handling on the road and at speed are the main features that I enjoy, but the interior on the new car and the fit and finish in general and the fact that we have All Wheel Drive when needed make this an ideal car for us. Thank you again for the information on the Challenger.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this again: I think it would be a great idea if Round 2 developed a Hellcat Challenger or Charger kit with full engine detail...and took two of those engines and put them in a parts pack. There are a TON of old Mopar kits out there that could use a "crate" engine such as this...extra points if they create replicas of the Demon Hellcrate items some other diorama items to go along with the engines. I think a Mopar-branded entry into their "Weekend Garage" series would be a very, very good seller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd LOVE a kit of the new '20 Charger Daytona "widebody". Just something about that car and I'm not the biggest fan of four doors.

16 hours ago, Mark said:

Not so sure Round 2 did so well with the newer Camaro, I have seen them on clearance.  GM isn't doing so great with it either...if I were to bet on it, I'd say the current generation car will be the last.

Dodge is doing well with the Challenger, but it is long in the tooth.  With the Stellantis merger coming, who knows how long the Challenger (or Dodge itself) will be around.

That leaves the Mustang, like everyone else I'm surprised no "domestic" kit manufacturer has done, or announced one.  Or the new Corvette for that matter.

Word has it (unless something changed) that 2022 will be the last go round for the Camaro. Sad as I feel that Chevrolet missed the mark with the car's styling. Not bad on the outside, but on the inside with those small windows, the car IMO felt woefully claustrophobic. I had considered one about a year after I bought my Challenger and after sitting in one I said, "No Thanks"!

Hopefully there'll be something to replace it, but with the current market tripping over themselves with the latest trucks/SUV's/CUV's, I don't see that happening. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe relevant to this discussion,  most new muscle cars are priced out of the range of most of the buyers that they are meant to attract. What I mean by that is back in say 1969 a new Camaro Z-28 or Mustang Mach 1 was just a bit over $4000. A young person with most any job could buy one, or nearly any other muscle car they desired. Today, the top muscle cars are nearly all above $50K and most potential buyers cannot buy one, even with creative financing. 

For that matter a new Jeep is priced out of the range of many who would like to own one. I know that for a hard fact because I have a 2012 Wrangler and a 2021 is about $15K more for an equally equipped model. 

Any way, the cars you mention as not having kits are just not as popular in 1:1 either, in terms of sales.  A nice new Corvette is very cool but so impractical and not a very sound investment either. I live in a large city with good weather and good streets and see a lot of cars. I have seen exactly 2 C7 Corvettes in all their years and not a single mid-engine 'vette. Cars are continuously pricing themselves out of existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see more modern subjects like the Hellcat Challenger and Charger kitted, along w/ the C8, some current Cadillacs and the current Mustang.  Definitely would like to see a current Grand Cherokee (maybe the Trackhawk w/ Hellcat engine), Wrangler and Gladiator kitted also.

 Alas, the domestic kit makers seem find their most sales with reissues of subjects from the 60s-70s that appeal to the older audience. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, espo said:

The Charger is actually my main interest as an owner. We got a '19 Charger GT with the AWD system to replace our '09 Charger RT...

Lindberg did the earlier Charger (thru 2010) body style as a police car or SRT8. At least the police car was full-detail (I assume the SRT8 was as well) and the engine and chassis are surely very similar to the current cars. I'd think an enterprising builder could massage the older car into a passable new one.

5488858219_700cc24831_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lindberg did the earlier Charger (thru 2010) body style as a police car or SRT8.

I have built the Lindberg SRT8 kit, and it is a very nice kit. Certainly no Hellcat, but it does have a Hemi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the input.  Good to know about the Lindberg kit.  But since this exists, but is currently not available from IceMan Collections, will have another excuse to lurk on eBay.

IceMan Collections Hemi SRT Hellcat Demon engine.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the Lindberg Charger kits have engine detail.  Unfortunately they are 1/24 scale, likely that is what limited their sales.

Revell's Challenger kit did have an engine, as did the AMT late model Chrysler 300.  Both are 1/25 scale.  Anyone I have talked to that knows much about the "new" Hemi engines seems to think the Revell piece is the better of the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lindberg did the earlier Charger (thru 2010) body style as a police car or SRT8. At least the police car was full-detail (I assume the SRT8 was as well) and the engine and chassis are surely very similar to the current cars. I'd think an enterprising builder could massage the older car into a passable new one.

5488858219_700cc24831_b.jpg

Hi Bill, I'm familiar with the Lindberg kit. I built one a few years ago with the appearance of our '10 Charger RT. Ours had the All Wheel Drive feature which wasn't represented in the kit as it is a rear wheel drive only kit. This wasn't an issue really since the undercarriage on the Charger is covered under the front of the 1:1 in such a way as you wouldn't see it anyway and the kit represents this all very well. I agree with you that if any one is wanting to build a civilian Charger this would be a perfect kit for that. The kit had both a complete civilian interior as well as the Police type interior, so lots of left over parts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered my engine, arrived today!  Got two, the other will go into the 300C, or the Silhouette.  Also got the VW VR6 from the same maker.

IMG_0247.thumb.jpg.9135daf2a01f3fa2b177c29fbc819085.jpg
IMG_0248.thumb.jpg.a0913f6fb60a6d6a88832c0eb9e5b802.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, MrObsessive said:

I'd LOVE a kit of the new '20 Charger Daytona "widebody". Just something about that car and I'm not the biggest fan of four doors.

Word has it (unless something changed) that 2022 will be the last go round for the Camaro. Sad as I feel that Chevrolet missed the mark with the car's styling. Not bad on the outside, but on the inside with those small windows, the car IMO felt woefully claustrophobic. I had considered one about a year after I bought my Challenger and after sitting in one I said, "No Thanks"!

Hopefully there'll be something to replace it, but with the current market tripping over themselves with the latest trucks/SUV's/CUV's, I don't see that happening. :( 

What will nascar do makes you wonder..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...