Model Cars Magazine Forum

454SS Chevy pickup , factory stock build .

If 12 year old me knew what 36 year old me knows now about this kit , I never would have built this kit the first time I owned it .... now I have a chance to get it right...

Axalta black basecoat , decals applied with micro set . I bombed the application of the tailgate decal , but somehow I managed to save it with about 20 minutes of unfolding with a blade and lots of water . The decals were barely useable . I’ll let them sit to dry for a day or so and follow up with Nason 496 clear ... 

B833BCAC-101E-4AAC-A802-2B2477F0423B.jpeg

2490A85D-F795-4353-AC56-64E60AEE149D.jpeg

43D21510-1D91-4069-99C0-8E22E7591FDA.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

If 12 year old me knew what 36 year old me knows now about this kit , I never would have built this kit the first time I owned it .... now I have a chance to get it right...

Axalta black basecoat , decals applied with micro set . I bombed the application of the tailgate decal , but somehow I managed to save it with about 20 minutes of unfolding with a blade and lots of water . The decals were barely useable . I’ll let them sit to dry for a day or so and follow up with Nason 496 clear ... 

B833BCAC-101E-4AAC-A802-2B2477F0423B.jpeg

2490A85D-F795-4353-AC56-64E60AEE149D.jpeg

43D21510-1D91-4069-99C0-8E22E7591FDA.jpeg

image.jpg

Always enjoy seeing this kit done. I have a thought on your decal issue. I've run into this also with older decal sheets. A product I used with some success was Testors Decal Bonder. This was designed to protect decals printed at home but they seemed to help with older brittle decals also. Now the bad news, with Testors being taken over this product my no longer be produced or even a replacement. I think there should be other paint manufactures that offer such a product and if you're building an older kit it might be an idea to find something like this before using the decals.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...