Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hydrodipping?

Jonathan

On 10/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, TooOld said:

The March 1972 issue of Car Model Magazine had Hank Borger's "How-To Swirl-A-Delic" article , here's a link :

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/swirladelic-paint/

MAR 72 000

Jezzuss!! 1972!! I remember buying that issue and trying that technique. Man, i was just 13...feeling old, now....

Don

On 10/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, cobraman said:

Not really a fan of this swirl a delic painting . I recall seeing in all those years ago . That being said I got a bug to try it . Here is my result . As I said , not a fan but I will find something to do with it . 

8BA36D9F-46FE-4272-A241-8062A0E936BA.jpeg

B2F68942-E61A-455D-810F-3EE820324B50.jpeg

10E3B856-CEBD-4486-98F0-E6A094035DAE.jpeg

If you're really unhappy with that result you could always cure that with two coats of paint,one coat of black and one coat of clear:)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "dipping" you are talking about is spraying different colors on top of water, dipping a model through the paint, letting the paint dry, smoothing paint with a light touch and a polishing cloth, clear coating and finish with polishing. The "film" being discussed is like a wrap, way out of scale, needs heat to conform. Ray, you may not care for the dipping method, you nailed it pretty good, and on a Stude. You guys should try it, you can come up with some really wild paint jobs.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but while at a model car show recently I saw some models that the paint looked Awesome on.  I was told they were Hydro Dipped but they were one solid color.  Anyone having any info or a link on this process?  

20231007_094204.jpg

20231007_094212.jpg

Edited by Zippi

22 hours ago, Zippi said:

I know this is an old thread but while at a model car show recently I saw some models that the paint looked Awesome on.  I was told they were Hydro Dipped but they were one solid color.  Anyone having any info or a link on this process?  

20231007_094204.jpg

20231007_094212.jpg

I was just watching YouTube videos on this technique. Looks pretty cool, guitars, deer skulls, even running shoes, I’m going to give it a try in the future.

1 hour ago, Horrorshow said:

I was just watching YouTube videos on this technique. Looks pretty cool, guitars, deer skulls, even running shoes, I’m going to give it a try in the future.

I've watched a lot of videos as well but what I have not seen is how to Hydro dip one solid color like the pics I showed.

Bob, I just have to say that I really have my doubts that these were hydro dipped. The top car looks like the work of a guy named Ken “Bondo” Brickell.    I could be wrong but it looks like his style of paint and build.  The Foose pickup, to my eyes, sure looks like it was painted and polished the conventional way.  Any chance that whoever told you that they were hydro dipped might have been pulling your leg?

30 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

Bob, I just have to say that I really have my doubts that these were hydro dipped. The top car looks like the work of a guy named Ken “Bondo” Brickell.    I could be wrong but it looks like his style of paint and build.  The Foose pickup, to my eyes, sure looks like it was painted and polished the conventional way.  Any chance that whoever told you that they were hydro dipped might have been pulling your leg?

On 10/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, Zippi said:

20231007_094204.jpg

I'm betting the bases on the '39 Chevy and the car in the background (black/white swirly base) were hydrodipped. The paint on the models is definitely conventionally applied. 

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the ol' 70's/80's swirladelic oil paint on water swirl technique, versus hydro dip film.  The film is what I was initially asking about.  

I've also heard it called "hydrographics film" and "water transfer printing film".

Regardless, I don't know how thick the film might be, but here is an 1:1 example:

hydrographics-3.png.b756abd8c20fb17db306ded9a9ae98f5.png

The hydrodipping we were discussing here uses multiple colors of liquid paint swirled while floating on water surface.  That results in random color swirls.

Thar rim's patterns are anything but random.  Even if water is used in the process, it seems like some sort of film with a printed repeating pattern is applied to the rim's surface.  Seems more like a large waterslide decal application rather than what we call hydrodipping.

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

The hydrodipping we were discussing here uses multiple colors of liquid paint swirled while floating on water surface.  That results in random color swirls.

Thar rim's patterns are anything but random.  Even if water is used in the process, it seems like some sort of film with a printed repeating pattern is applied to the rim's surface.  Seems more like a large waterslide decal application rather than what we call hydrodipping.

Seems to me this is exactly what the OP was asking about, Peter.

From the original post, ,  

"Is anyone familiar with a process called "hydrodipping" (maybe "hydro dipping")?  I've seen a (very) few videos where people have used a film that lies on top of water, dipped whatever item they plan to color slowly though the film that is floating - and the pattern of the film is transferred to the object.  Seems there might be some application for our hobby, but I've not actually seen this in person  -  so I don't know how think the film is, etc. "

1 hour ago, peteski said:

You're right Steve. I didn't go back and re-read this entire thread going back to year 2020.  Sorry.
https://dipdoctr.com/what-is-hydro-dipping/
I doubt there are any films designed for 1:25 scale car bodies, but maybe some smaller patterns designed for larger surfaces could work for our models.

Yea, it's quite old. 

One thing I think would be of use would be in scale carbon fiber print dip. That would be so much easier then cutting and fitting separate pieces of decal on complicated shapes for the carbon fiber look.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, Nacho Z said:

I think your right about Ken “Bondo” Brickell.  I think they were taling about another model and not the ones we were in front of.  

On 10/10/2023 at 11:33 PM, Jonathan said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the ol' 70's/80's swirladelic oil paint on water swirl technique, versus hydro dip film.  The film is what I was initially asking about.  

I've also heard it called "hydrographics film" and "water transfer printing film".

Regardless, I don't know how thick the film might be, but here is an 1:1 example:

hydrographics-3.png.b756abd8c20fb17db306ded9a9ae98f5.png

👍👍👍