Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hydrodipping?

Jonathan

On 10/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, TooOld said:

The March 1972 issue of Car Model Magazine had Hank Borger's "How-To Swirl-A-Delic" article , here's a link :

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/swirladelic-paint/

MAR 72 000

Jezzuss!! 1972!! I remember buying that issue and trying that technique. Man, i was just 13...feeling old, now....

Don

On 10/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, cobraman said:

Not really a fan of this swirl a delic painting . I recall seeing in all those years ago . That being said I got a bug to try it . Here is my result . As I said , not a fan but I will find something to do with it . 

8BA36D9F-46FE-4272-A241-8062A0E936BA.jpeg

B2F68942-E61A-455D-810F-3EE820324B50.jpeg

10E3B856-CEBD-4486-98F0-E6A094035DAE.jpeg

If you're really unhappy with that result you could always cure that with two coats of paint,one coat of black and one coat of clear:)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "dipping" you are talking about is spraying different colors on top of water, dipping a model through the paint, letting the paint dry, smoothing paint with a light touch and a polishing cloth, clear coating and finish with polishing. The "film" being discussed is like a wrap, way out of scale, needs heat to conform. Ray, you may not care for the dipping method, you nailed it pretty good, and on a Stude. You guys should try it, you can come up with some really wild paint jobs.