Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kit Basher

Old Testors color chart

Recommended Posts

I'm starting on an original issue of the Monogram 1/72 B-52. I found this inside, thought some of you might be interested.

DSCN1908.JPG

DSCN1909.JPG

DSCN1910.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! 

I believe a very similar color chart used to run somewhere...back cover of the Auto World catalogs, maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Monogram cement tube is neat, I've never seen one before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Wow... a great find! Thanks for sharing! My guess those were either from the ‘50s or 60s.

They were in this kit- Copyright 1968.

DSCN1905.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have guessed sometime after '66, the Testors Custom Colors are what used to be the Ed Roth Custom Colors line.  I'm pretty certain the Roth car kits left the Revell lineup after '66, the connection between Roth and Testors probably ended around the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat discovery. Never seen either item. 

But the chart still doesn't explain what "pla" means.  Some say that it means "for plastic", but the chart states that those enamels can be used on all sort of surfaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a cool find.  That is nice to have since Testors has been sold..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that the tube of glue says "15 cent size". How times have changed! It looks like it could be used, but I think I'll keep it as is.

Edited by Kit Basher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, peteski said:

But the chart still doesn't explain what "pla" means.  Some say that it means "for plastic", but the chart states that those enamels can be used on all sort of surfaces.

That was my first thought , too . It's obviously not an acronym ( i.e. , 'Plastic , Leather , Acetate" or some such ) . Maybe it's in the description , but I can't rea that fine print .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, because inquiring minds want to know... I read thru the whole brochure. Nowhere does it say what "pla" means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, you won't get a straight answer on the net. I doubt calling RPM to get the skinny will get to the bottom of this, either. The blokes what works there know even less about product history than we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

And, you won't get a straight answer on the net. I doubt calling RPM to get the skinny will get to the bottom of this, either. The blokes what works there know even less about product history than we do.

I think the only hope to find some definitive answers would be to find one of the early Testors employees (if they are even still alive). Chances of that happening are not very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If PLA meant the same then as it does now, it is Polylactide or Polylactic Acid, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

Polylactide is one of the most popular materials for 3D printing, quoting the article.  This article explains how to paint PLA printed items:

https://3dinsider.com/how-to-paint-pla/

Amazon has a listing for Testors Pla 1156 paint thinner:

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-1156-Pla-thinner-4-oz/dp/B004GJBWVM

I don't know if they are the same but to me it would be logical to presume that they are.  Someone who is adept at 3D printing may be able to help sort this out.

Edited by Ironman63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s chemistry lesson is what is PLA. Sorry for giving the same answer.  There will be a quiz later.  Further research leads me to believe in the 60’s it was just short for PLAstic enamel paint and simply branding.

4DE77C2D-247A-4EC1-ABC5-4739EC4996B6.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ironman63 said:

If PLA meant the same then as it does now, it is Polylactide or Polylactic Acid, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

Polylactide is one of the most popular materials for 3D printing, quoting the article.  This article explains how to paint PLA printed items:

https://3dinsider.com/how-to-paint-pla/

Amazon has a listing for Testors Pla 1156 paint thinner:

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-1156-Pla-thinner-4-oz/dp/B004GJBWVM

I don't know if they are the same but to me it would be logical to presume that they are.  Someone who is adept at 3D printing may be able to help sort this out.

"Pla", referring to Testor's enamel paints, has nothing to do with polylactic acid. Polylactic acid is a thermoplastic which is not a component of any type of paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 8:54 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

The prices on that site are a bit  "ambitious".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...