Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decided to check out this show. Picked the one where he makes a race car with a V12 engine. I enjoyed it as there wasn't yelling or arguing going on. I'll turn it off as soon as they start that "stuff". Might watch another 1 or 2 shows. That guy looks like he's had a tough life.

39 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Boy howdy...we sure got into the wadded-up panties segment of the thread quick this time.

Yeah. I almost reported the post to the mods to avoid this fall-out, but decided that it would be more respectful to reply to Thomas himself. I'm sure no harm was intended. I didn't actually mention racism, btw but the original comment did come over as racist, however innocently it was meant.

Back to dissing Gas Monkey...

Edited by DonW

Back on track....?

I think what bothers me the most about the bad chad show.... is the complete lack of thought or consideration of people actually using the "cars" he creates...   like no thought of ergonomics or functionality...  it makes my skin crawl thinking that people who may someday want to modify vehicles are watching this as inspiration.

Take for instance this thing...

No access to the engine without removing the body... no radiator cooling openings(its behind the seat)... the seating position is absurd..  knees at your chest to drive it..   face over the windshield...

Couple that with the awful proportions of pretty much everything from the show... its infuriating..

13 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Back on track....?

I think what bothers me the most about the bad chad show.... is the complete lack of thought or consideration of people actually using the "cars" he creates...   like no thought of ergonomics or functionality...  it makes my skin crawl thinking that people who may someday want to modify vehicles are watching this as inspiration.

access to the engine without removing the body... no radiator cooling openings(its behind the seat)... the seating position is absurd..  knees at your chest to drive it..   face over the windshield...

Couple that with the awful proportions of pretty much everything from the show... its infuriating..

While they did not show it in the TV episode if you look at the video you posted there is a 'hood' over the engine.  The radiator is mid ship with fans and works fine for the 5 -10 minutes that the car runs. 

I think the car works as ART. Few people agree on what art is good. For what the owners paid they got their money and then some. IMGO only!!

Edited by Dave Van

44 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Back on track....?

No access to the engine without removing the body... no radiator cooling openings(its behind the seat)... the seating position is absurd..  knees at your chest to drive it..   face over the windshield...

I would hope that builders would not think reality shows are a model for building cars. They are meant to entertain rather than educate.

Ergonomics are a important necessity.  Asthetics are subjective.

I'm wondering just how "real" a lot of the builds on many of the car shows are. Kindig built a '66 Nova a couple of seasons ago and it was up for auction within a couple of years. This past weekend at Barrett Jackson a Mustang California Special that was on Fantom Works went to auction within a couple of years of being built with just 300 miles on it.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

While they did not show it in the TV episode if you look at the video you posted there is a 'hood' over the engine.  The radiator is mid ship with fans and works fine for the 5 -10 minutes that the car runs. 

I think the car works as ART. Few people agree on what art is good. For what the owners paid they got their money and then some. IMGO only!!

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I would hope that builders would not think reality shows are a model for building cars. They are meant to entertain rather than educate.

Ergonomics are a important necessity.  Asthetics are subjective.

I see your points and I get it... maybe to a point I'm just jealous... to me...  It's like they gave a baking show to someone that burns everything.. every single time.

I will say some of his metal fabrication techniques are interesting,  blowing the bubbletop was great and if you have seen on his YouTube channel the Bugatti clone he is building is impressive and relatively accurate to the original.

I think part of what angers me with the show is they portray him as this wayward automotive artist that spontaneously draws inspiration from the car hes building.

When in reality the car above is obviously somewhat inspired by this:

IMG_7062-Small.jpg.94975852e0e2b9c73bf37b87d635adcd.jpg

I would rather see them give a little history, talk about how this car was lost in the wildfires... etc... but that's probably why I tend to lean towards shows like "Car Kings"

But what do I know... It must be working cause I have watched parts of a few Bad Chad episodes.... even though by the end I am usually fuming.... hahhaa

Edited by Impalow

• Xingu locked this topic