Model Cars Magazine Forum

All New Tool big rig from AMT !!!!!

Mr mopar

3 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

also didn't hear new kit or new tooling so I'm guessing it will have something to do with the Kenworth T600 since its been 30 yrs since last seen

They may or may not be able to do their T600 depending on exactly how they fixed the W925 molds which were reportedly altered into the T600.

5 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

They may or may not be able to do their T600 depending on exactly how they fixed the W925 molds which were reportedly altered into the T600.

I’m not sure how true that is. The T600 definitely uses a lot of the same sprues as the w925. It looks like AMT just added different cab, bonnet, sleeper, grill and radiator. 

Ben

4 hours ago, Bennyg said:

I’m not sure how true that is. The T600 definitely uses a lot of the same sprues as the w925. It looks like AMT just added different cab, bonnet, sleeper, grill and radiator. 

Ben

I'm not either, that was just the often repeated reason why the W925 couldn't be brought back.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, Fat Brian said:

If it's a modern truck and not a 379/389 or a W900L I'm going to lose my mind. I'm tired of kit companies choosing poor subjects and then blaming us when they don't sell.

I absolutely hate those trucks. I will be extremely disappointed if they tool one of those. Tool something modern on the road today for Pete's sake. ??‍♂️

Italeri can modify their Volvo into the current VN, Moebius can modify their ProStar into the LT. Round 2 should do the Freightliner Cascadia/Western Star 49X to make the investment stretch farther.

If they absolutely need to do a PACCAR at least do the KW T680 or T880 or W990. We need another Peterbilt model like we need another '57 Chevy or '32 Ford... ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Edited by Fabrux

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

That would be cool,  but alot of work to weather properly if you did the movie truck. 

Definitely, but people have been clamoring for such a kit for years, so maybe the demand is truly there.

I'm not big into sci-fi so I couldn't come up with any sci-fi/"big rig" subjects which would be obvious combinations of the two. Maybe assuming there's even a sci-fi connection is ill-advised,  too, but I think the Duel truck dovetails well with AMT's vintage big truck offerings. Maybe they could even re-use the existing ex-IMC tanker trailer?

duel.jpg.a8f06163ca1ccf2fe5e4fc45e37e1074.jpg

3930691000_aedc0cc785_b.jpg.13b45f559310446ab4a158057c8627cc.jpg

Edited by Casey

16 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I'm sure I'll get flack but I would like to see the old Movin' On Kenworth with new Movin' On decals.

No flack as the Kenworth W925 is not a bad model and it will allways have it's place, but the old AMT kit is not right for the Movin' On TV series trucks as they were newer, the kit was first issued 1971 and has the pre-1973 cab, the TV series trucks were 1974 and 1975 V.I.T.'s with the 1973-forward cab, longer wheelbase and larger sleepers.
You can build the Pilot show truck with the AMT kit tho'.

As for a new tooling truck kit from AMT/Round 2...I would not have my hopes too high and I will believe it when I see it.
If they would do a new tool truck kit they would most likely want to get as much out of that tooling as possible and be able to do various versions of it and for a long time, and I don't think a truck kit from a specific movie will fill that requirement as that market is quite narrow.
I don't have anything against if they do the Duel truck and it would be nice if they did, but I don't believe they will because the Duel truck has some things that's quite specific for it, the two original trucks in the movie were 1955 and 1960 Peterbilt 281 so it's an older cab than the 359 Small Window Cab they have, they were single drive with a tag axle on Page & Page 60/40 spring and walking beam suspension, one (the main truck) had a Cat 1674 and the other (backup truck) a Cummins 262.
The backup truck wich is the 1960 281 is still with us and today it has dual drive on reyco type four spring suspension and Cummins NTC350 small cam engine, so it has been re-powered and has different suspension than what it originally had as all 281's were single drive, this truck is owned by Brad Wike who also owns the most true recreation of the Smokey And The Bandit "Snowman" Kenworth W900 truck.
So if Round 2 would do the Duel truck they have to do everything new as nothing they have since before is right for the movie truck, so to do a correct version of the movie truck they have to start from scratch with everything including the trailer.

Edited by Force

On 12/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, Fat Brian said:

I'm tired of kit companies choosing poor subjects and then blaming us when they don't sell.

Yep, there were tons of trucks to choose from,  IMC chooses the least popular "big rig" on the road in '69 for their "first"?

s-l1600 (35).jpg

Edited by leafsprings

19 hours ago, Force said:

No flack as the Kenworth W925 is not a bad model and it will allways have it's place, but the old AMT kit is not right for the Movin' On TV series trucks as they were newer, the kit was first issued 1971 and has the pre-1973 cab, the TV series trucks were 1974 and 1975 V.I.T.'s with the 1973-forward cab, longer wheelbase and larger sleepers.
You can build the Pilot show truck with the AMT kit tho'.

As for a new tooling truck kit from AMT/Round 2...I would not have my hopes too high and I will believe it when I see it.
If they would do a new tool truck kit they would most likely want to get as much out of that tooling as possible and be able to do various versions of it and for a long time, and I don't think a truck kit from a specific movie will fill that requirement as that market is quite narrow.
I don't have anything against if they do the Duel truck and it would be nice if they did, but I don't believe they will because the Duel truck has some things that's quite specific for it, the two original trucks in the movie were 1955 and 1960 Peterbilt 281 so it's an older cab than the 359 Small Window Cab they have, they were single drive with a tag axle on Page & Page 60/40 spring and walking beam suspension, one (the main truck) had a Cat 1674 and the other (backup truck) a Cummins 262.
The backup truck wich is the 1960 281 is still with us and today it has dual drive on reyco type four spring suspension and Cummins NTC350 small cam engine, so it has been re-powered and has different suspension than what it originally had as all 281's were single drive, this truck is owned by Brad Wike who also owns the most true recreation of the Smokey And The Bandit "Snowman" Kenworth W900 truck.
So if Round 2 would do the Duel truck they have to do everything new as nothing they have since before is right for the movie truck, so to do a correct version of the movie truck they have to start from scratch with everything including the trailer.

Yeah. I'm not looking for 100% accuracy necessarily, just the look of the truck.

I have no idea why a model company would waste their valuable capitol making new tooling for a truck subject that is ancient unless it is an historical subject when there have been so many interesting truck subjects today.  Trucks did not stop evolving since the 1970s.  

I vote for a Freightliner Cascadia Evolution, the most popular truck tractor on the American roads today.

BTW, we do need more trailer kits.

thumb2-freightliner-cascadia-2018-4k-new-trucks-american-trucks.jpg

TrailKing_Web.jpg

Edited by chuckyr

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Yeah. I'm not looking for 100% accuracy necessarily, just the look of the truck.

To get the "look" of the truck at least you have to do the right era of the truck and that demands at least a new tooled cab and hood and some other stuff.
It's not like you can take any 281/351 and dirty it up and call it the Duel truck, many things like accessories has to be right to achieve the look.

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, chuckyr said:

I have no idea why a model company would waste their valuable capitol making new tooling for a truck subject that is ancient unless it is an historical subject when there have been so many interesting truck subjects today.  Trucks did not stop evolving since the 1970s.  

I vote for a Freightliner Cascadia Evolution, the most popular truck tractor on the American roads today.

BTW, we do need more trailer kits.

thumb2-freightliner-cascadia-2018-4k-new-trucks-american-trucks.jpg

TrailKing_Web.jpg

?. That looks a lot better than the ProStar.

51 minutes ago, Force said:

To get the "look" of the truck at least you have to do the right era of the truck and that demands at least a new tooled cab and hood and some other stuff.
It's not like you can take any 281/351 and dirty it up and call it the Duel truck, many things like accessories has to be right to achieve the look.

I built the old  amt movin on kit as a teen.  Its good enough for me now too.

Ok, I built the AMT kit back then and it was fine by me then too, I also bought the ERTL Mack Rubber Duck kit back in the day but that didn't cut it for me as it was way too far from what it's supposed to be and I did not finish the model...I still have most of it but it's in pieces.
I will build a more true replica of the Movin' On truck in the future, same with the Duel Truck, Smokey And The Bandit Truck,  the Rubber Duck and Love Machine (Pig Pen) trucks and I have done a lot of research on all of them and gathered parts and decals so I can get them right.

Edited by Force

13 hours ago, Bennyg said:

?. That looks a lot better than the ProStar.

Doesn't actually drive any better than one though...having piloted both.

And just because something is the "most popular" thing on the road doesn't make it interesting subject matter.  It just means that all the big Mega Carriers have bought them as their the cheapest thing available and T/A & Petros are Freightiner ServicePoints.  

If sales = models then we should be drowning in F-150s, Camrys and Tauruses.

20 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Doesn't actually drive any better than one though...having piloted both.

And just because something is the "most popular" thing on the road doesn't make it interesting subject matter.  It just means that all the big Mega Carriers have bought them as their the cheapest thing available and T/A & Petros are Freightiner ServicePoints.  

If sales = models then we should be drowning in F-150s, Camrys and Tauruses.

It's a scale model.  You aren't going to actually drive it.  ?

Can you name any big rig model we are "drowning in", other than Peterbilt after Peterbilt subject?

If I had to take a wild guess, my vote is the all new Western Star 49X. Western Star is hitting the marketing hard, with several die casts in the works and a large scale R/C already out on the market, a model kit wouldn't shock me. There's also a downloadable one for the video game Snow Runner, for anyone who might be familiar with that. Being that Western Star has all this available ahead of the actual truck being on sale, that's what makes me think if there is an all-new tool in the works, the 49X is it.

Western Star 49X -- The most advanced vocational truck we've ever built

Diecast Masters 1:16 R/C

51YKbCmcVsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Snow Runner 49X

SnowRunner - Western Star 49X

Edited by Casey429

6 hours ago, chuckyr said:

It's a scale model.  You aren't going to actually drive it.  ?

Can you name any big rig model we are "drowning in", other than Peterbilt after Peterbilt subject?

I guess...I mean the Italeri kits are weird subject matter of a vocational use 378 and aero 377 that nobody bought in real life and they're both 25 yrs old.

Beyond that the last 379 (now 389) Pete was tooled up back in the 1980s. That's like saying we shouldn't have a Cascadia because we're drowning in AMT repops of the Single and Dual Axle Cabovers (one kit if each, plus the 75th Anniversary edition that can build either) plus the reboxed Italeri FLC. How many Freightliners do you NEED?