Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors (Gunze Sangyo) Lamborghini Spelling Bee Special (Silhouette)

89AKurt

I’ve never understood why these companies specializing in paint for models would mix it with strong enough solvents to damage model plastic.  

I tried Zero paint from Hiroboy once and it was the same deal - even with multiple primer coats as soon as I got a decent coverage of color it attacked the surface of the plastic.  

12 minutes ago, CabDriver said:I tried Zero paint from Hiroboy once and it was the same deal - even with multiple primer coats as soon as I got a decent coverage of color it attacked the surface of the plastic.  

Were you trying to ge a “wet” coat? Zero base coats are meant to be flat... it’s the clear coat that gives you the gloss. For the base coat, just apply light coats 5 minutes apart until the colour density is even all over... I reckon on 3 being enough, usually. If you lay them down too thick, you end up with liquid solvent that can’t evaporate quickly from the surface, so it goes downwards to the primer. The Zero paint system isn’t actually that aggressive... you can use the 2K clear over decals with no problem...

best,

M.

Nah, I just misted it on until the coverage built up, over three or four coats of their own primer, no less.

It still attacked the Revell body I was trying to paint at the time and ruined it - they may have changed their formula since then, but I used their products and followed the instructions to the letter and it still did the same as Kurt experienced above so that kinda soured me on ever trying that again...

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Were you trying to ge a “wet” coat? Zero base coats are meant to be flat... it’s the clear coat that gives you the gloss. For the base coat, just apply light coats 5 minutes apart until the colour density is even all over... I reckon on 3 being enough, usually. If you lay them down too thick, you end up with liquid solvent that can’t evaporate quickly from the surface, so it goes downwards to the primer. The Zero paint system isn’t actually that aggressive... you can use the 2K clear over decals with no problem...

best,

M.

I was doing that from the beginning, still did it.  I think their base coat and primer is required.

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve never understood why these companies specializing in paint for models would mix it with strong enough solvents to damage model plastic.  

I tried Zero paint from Hiroboy once and it was the same deal - even with multiple primer coats as soon as I got a decent coverage of color it attacked the surface of the plastic.  

But, but, but . . . these are not model paints. These are simply regular automotive paints which have been packaged in modeller-friendly (read small) bottles.  They are hot and they will craze polystyrene model bodies.  The service all those companies provide is the small quantities of paint. When you go to have some paint mixed in a auto body supplies  shop, they will nto mix 1 or 2 ounces for you.  YOu usually have to buy  lot more (and throw away what you don't use). Plus it will cost more.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:50 PM, peteski said:

But, but, but . . . these are not model paints. These are simply regular automotive paints which have been packaged in modeller-friendly (read small) bottles.  They are hot and they will craze polystyrene model bodies.  The service all those companies provide is the small quantities of paint. When you go to have some paint mixed in a auto body supplies  shop, they will nto mix 1 or 2 ounces for you.  YOu usually have to buy  lot more (and throw away what you don't use). Plus it will cost more.

Thanks for the explanation.  I should try using their two part primer again, not rely on the Tamiya primer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Dann Tier said:

Duplicolor paint even reacts this way. When i painted mine, i had to do ALOT of sanding between each kolor coat, but it eventually stopped, and turned out great. You got it, Bud!!!

?

4 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

stick with it Kurt! maybe switch to acrylics following a strip?

?

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Hang in there Kurt..

?

????

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:11 AM, Madhatter said:

Oh wow - talk about memories. This was the very first kit I ever made. Will be watching to see how it should have been made

Never saw this kit when I started model building, missed out.  Anyway, this isn't turning out to be a good example.

Didn't want to jinx this build until I got over the hump.  It's turned out to be one of the worst jobs for a long time.  Stripped twice, so the body ended up getting trashed.  I'm just an old fart who is having trouble learning to use this exotic paint from Splash.  So #3 was Tamiya primer over the wet-sanded previous coats of the same.  Since I got the Splash surfacer, tried it, sprayed quick and thin coats, just so I wouldn't melt the surface.  The nice thing about this paint, it cures really quick!  Did a quick wet-sand before doing the Splash Lambo purple which was intended for a Huracan.  The first coat was too orange peeled, so wet-sanded, and added thinner (illegal in CA) for the second time.  Then I did 3 coats of the Splash 1K clear, quick wet-sand after each coat, and more thinner each time.  Resisted the urge to go slow and let a thick wet coat lay down, because that always ruined it before.   Anyway, at least I didn't totally wreck it this time.
IMG_1379.thumb.jpg.9a61d04d0ba08f4c427f8048c10bc113.jpg
IMG_1380.thumb.jpg.f702be298b4bc2a4dd699e7c300a401a.jpg
IMG_1383.thumb.jpg.cbe776fd8bbf1836b8f5890d483fc890.jpg

IMO Paying good money for paint, it should go on without having to wet-sand.  The problem with this body, has a bunch of character creases that beg for getting screwed up.  Even the carbon-fiber decal did something weird.  Not at all happy with this. 🤬
IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.910c4f6f2715014b22c5c7b5bbca99f9.jpg

But forging ahead, just because.  Got some details on the body done tonight.  The paint on the back bumpers came out great.
IMG_1417.thumb.jpg.a631d6a651f6c1adc640b1707c94fe8a.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

Since this kit showed lights, and I had the bulbs, installed on the bumper part.  Aluminum plate to securely hold the wires, aluminum duct tape around the bulb.
IMG_1421.thumb.jpg.fd4346e0c9aad7aa11ae8d2742bca6cb.jpg

Used the stained glass soldering iron.
IMG_1422.thumb.jpg.a2f57b96165a127703aebdea5ac71b78.jpg

Can't believe it works!  It's stupid that only the front turn signals get lit, not the driving lights below, but it is what it is.
IMG_1423.thumb.jpg.96f56569567b707bcbc1545d5878f307.jpg

Discovered a pet peeve, giant gap to see through the car.
IMG_1424.thumb.jpg.3fd41b63e727615951552584b43d6bad.jpg
IMG_1425.thumb.jpg.428ba01cfe232385f59f5e4823a3f584.jpg

Black paper is put in the wheel well.  There was a little gap still, that was filled with Tacky glue (after taking the picture).
IMG_1426.thumb.jpg.999c4ff2d5d2a1924202d7ad17a00a66.jpg

Had to put the Lambo emblem on.  Mirror "glass" is done.
IMG_1427.thumb.jpg.85cffa36ed9eab849f9fb709de3da21c.jpg

The windshield has some blemishes, which would have required fixing, if this was going to be a masterpiece.  Just need to paint the window trim, and emblems, glue on the wipers, then weather with grim and bug splats.

Finished this lump tonight!  🎉  Last night I used Studio 27 seat belt material and buckle to finish the interior.  The scale kit box is the final touch.   Brush painted the window trim.  Since I wasn't happy with the paint job, weathered like it's been driven in the rain.  Pen was used to do the emblems.  For anyone who will build this, the top needs some thinning down on the tabs so it will sit flush.

Fresh on the bench pictures:
IMG_1428.thumb.jpg.f081a648429711ea6984eb0041a3b8d3.jpg
IMG_1429.thumb.jpg.50295013724c2e18f68e18680ab3696c.jpg
IMG_1430.thumb.jpg.96e63dbfb1006e38b0629d30c4eeb6d2.jpg
IMG_1431.thumb.jpg.3d36628e55b8e646d16866db0064f7a1.jpg
IMG_1433.thumb.jpg.0e489a4a2b6d8322b3c44b05bc84ac8a.jpg
IMG_1434.thumb.jpg.fac1a554d1a3ffc4d233f4b77423090d.jpg
IMG_1435.thumb.jpg.9c14af343ebec17d05f086487a0b972d.jpg

Started December 17 with the goal to finish before year's end, but due to the struggle with the paint, it was put into a dark corner.  Spent only 59.25 hours, but about 15-20 hours was redoing the paint.  Since I spent time with this, thought it was amusing how boring the design is, can understand why it didn't sell well, but now it's collectible since so few were built.  The real thing looks pretty, but the model misses some proportions in the window area.  The tires are totally wrong, high aspect ratio and same width front and back, which gives this a clunky look, which makes the phone dial wheels look out of proportion.  The steering wheel linked to the front wheels, and lights, are a corny gimmick.  The Countach changed Lamborghini's fortunes, so having this for a historic benchmark was worth the effort.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, Dann Tier said:

It looks BRILLIANT, Bud!!!....dammit!....makes me wanna build mine now!!!

Thank you!  You have decisions to make before starting out.  Changing wheel/tires would be first choice.  

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you!  You have decisions to make before starting out.  Changing wheel/tires would be first choice.  

Thats already been done for a while now, lol.  I was thinking about building it with its sister car; the Uracco.