Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT kits suck!

I didn't paint my first kits either, and prefered the kits with the colored plastic.  I was 10 at the time,  and I got better.  Kudos to Round 2 for bringing back those old kits, and hurrah for the people who can whip them into shape.  but let's not kit ourselves that there aren't better kits out there, especially when those old kits now have "collectable" prices on them.

Oh, and my list of AMT kits that don't suck?

1957 Chrysler 300

1958 Edsel

1966 Riviera (the retooled version)

1953 Ford Victoria.

Not a complete list, of course, but these are the ones I've had experience with.

11 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

...haha big boys ay? Not everyone one here is acting like it!!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there.

11 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

New people in the hobby aren’t interested in history and just want to enjoy the experience of building a model. So while many accept that the kit has been around and the moulds are old, a new comer won’t know this and will have a higher standard.

Thing is, this board is an endless source of information. In order to avoid disappointment, big boys don't just assume every kit will live up to their 21st-century expectations. They research what they're interested in before buying something challenging and then smearing the entire product line because it doesn't build itself.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thing is, this board is an endless source of information. In order to avoid disappointment, big boys don't just assume every kit will live up to their 21st-century expectations. They research what they're interested in before buying something challenging and then smearing the entire product line because it doesn't build itself.

While this is true and many expect people to use the forum as a database or library. With a little look there is an endless amount of information.

Reality is youth wants instant answers and turn to sources like Facebook for a quick answer. In a modern world we need to look after youth and teach them where to go to find the right information. 

15 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

...Reality is youth wants instant answers and turn to sources like Facebook for a quick answer

Which, more often than not, is a guaranteed source of the wrong answer.

It never ceases to amaze me...well, not really any more...how many times I see the same useless, incorrect, but endlessly rebleated gibberish all over the interdwerbs.

And it doesn't matter what the subject is, either. There is just no shortage of "experts" pontificating on things they're actually clueless about.

EDIT: There are also a whole lot of real experts on the web who are more than happy to share the results of their experience, but unless the one looking for info has some basic knowledge of the subject being researched, it's pert near impossible to separate expertise from bloviation.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lotsa things in life strike people as "offensive".

You should look in FSM website...*cough, cough*  One little offensive thread there until their mods shut it down. Ask me how I know. ? Yup. I had it out with one of the mods, they ended up moderating my posts until I finally told them to ban me. LOL!! Ah well.... life goes on.?

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

...I cannot think of another category of consumer goods where 1963 product are offered for sale in our modern world...

Try harder. High-end audio (tube-type amps, etc.), vinyl records and turntables to play 'em, "continuation" cars like the Jags and Kirkham Cobras, bias-ply tires, all manner of hand tools, countless "retro" styled and constructed clothing items, the Beechcraft Bonanza, ballpoint pens, photographic film, several styles of "mag" wheels, Weber and Holley carbs, firearms and ammunition whose designs go much farther back than '63, Coca Cola, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That pretty much sums it up perfectly.

I really don't think that much else needs to be said.

An individuals ignorance is not much of an excuse to defame a company's entire catalog of products.

These kinds of broad aspersions are virtually always specious.

Steve

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

We, as a group, only consume 1-10% of kit production.. depending on where you get your numbers. The other 90-99% must be purchased by John Q Public... I can only imagine the mail Round 2  receives! That’s no doubt why they now show box contents on the bottom of the box and include a folksy history of kits today. 

So end analysis, some 90% of kit production goes to casual builders... guys who (gasp!) may not even paint their models. Guys who are getting no more involved than spending an idle afternoon assembling a plastic puzzle.  And it’s so! I notice the kit turnover at my local Hobby Lobby is constant. And I don’t know a single model car guy in town! And we’d be dead in the water without these guys!

This is a point that "we" seem to forget when commenting on some of the product releases.

We might want that '68 Coronet, but John Q Public might be just as (or more) likely to pick that Nova wagon off the shelf at Hobby Lobby.  

6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Last time he was around the board was Friday @ 13:30 . He probably thinks that we're bustin' his chops with all of our replies .

I've seen OP's kind of thing described elsewhere as Drive-By Trolling. ?

Not up to me to say if it fits this time. ?

AMT kits run the full spectrum. Just depends on what era. 90s era AMT was about as good as things got. The older stuff takes a little more effort but you have to consider the origin, the model kit market at that time, and such. I'll say that if an old tool AMT big rig gives you fits then you definitely do t want to try an early Revell or Lindberg either.

Edited by Metalbeast

19 hours ago, pack rat said:

This is a point that "we" seem to forget when commenting on some of the product releases.

We might want that '68 Coronet, but John Q Public might be just as (or more) likely to pick that Nova wagon off the shelf at Hobby Lobby.  

Perfectly understandable Mike, but despite the latest superb releases, there have been recent reissues, which don't exactly promote the hobby to John Q Public/The weekend modeler and risk to be a first and final sale for the brand in question, something I have a hard time understanding, but who knows and I see this the wrong way, but the following saying keeps popping up in my head; fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

Cheers

Luc

On 12/27/2020 at 11:50 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there.

Unless it's an impulse buy ;)

Yes, condemning a whole product line because of one kit is an gross overreaction, but feeling mad isn't about being rational, don't wanna upset those much needed weekend modelers do we!

Oh yeah, just my humble opinion, I'm not the enemy here, in fact I care a lot about this beautiful hobby.

Edited by Luc Janssens
grammar

• Xingu locked this topic