Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer

David G.

I started this build in August of last year and after about six and one-half months, I'm very pleased to have completed it. 

For those who may be interested, here is a link to the WIP thread.

If the background is too busy, let me know. I do have some photos with a plain background.

58_Edsel_61.jpg.12e57617ebc5ca085bc38a632df923bc.jpg

58_Edsel_62.jpg.e03c8ed6dd166d7f8dac5bf1db5d8c8b.jpg

58_Edsel_63.jpg.ba4f0bdea2e385368a80754b153588b2.jpg

58_Edsel_64.jpg.e788e3c09ef861fd29d992a90e7db18f.jpg

58_Edsel_65.jpg.f7073a5f5c5c7c7bdbf4921d74154dac.jpg

58_Edsel_66.jpg.77cb44949b4bb431e0ba9fb26c1540f2.jpg

58_Edsel_67.jpg.223e231cd8228ad5293a505b5d026f2d.jpg

That's all for now. I do have some more pics to edit and I want to try to get a few sunlit shots.

Thanks to all those who stuck with me through this build, I do appreciate your encouragement and support.

As always, please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

15 hours ago, ATHU said:

Looks amazing in pink, well done!!

Thank you Anders, I'm glad you like it.

13 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Superb build David, enjoyed your WIP, I'm glad you stuck with it. 

Thanks Geoff, I'm glad I did too.

12 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build and you got your continental kit as well. I remember what a battle you had with the paint on this but it came out great. 

Yes, I wanted to build it  to display with either the continental kit or bumper in place but the continental kit had a bit of a sag in final installation so I ended up holding it in place with a little PVA. I could probably still swap them out but right now, I'm just not feeling that urge. B) 

12 hours ago, Tom Kren said:

Great job!

Thanks Tom.

11 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

That’s a beautifully built model. FWIW, I think the cityscape background is awesome.

Thank you Chris and thanks for your comment on the background. I'm glad to know that someone likes it.

10 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nice. 

Thanks Lee.

8 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Looks good, David! I like the color and appreciate your sticking with it! My only other comment is that I think the skirts should go on the outside of the wheel opening.  Nice work! 👍😎

Thank you John, I'm glad I stuck with it too.

Interesting thought on the skirts. Given the struggle I had placing them, I could see where you may be correct on that. But, thinking back, I remember that there is a lip cast into the inside of the wheel well which seems to be there as a locating feature. I also went back and looked at the box cover image and did a quick online search and it looks to me like they are fitted from the inside. 

Thank you for taking the time to share that though with me, I do appreciate it.

58_Edsel_00.jpg.9012caf21b02a0a30d0f31426c8a286b.jpg

8 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Nice colors

Thanks Eric.

7 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very well done 

Thank you Eric, I'm glad to know that you like it.

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Stunning Edsel, Dave!

Thank you Carl.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks Chris.

David G.

You are right about mounting the fender skirts inside but the trick will be on my build to get the skirt to the edge of the wheel opening so that the fender skirt is flush with lip on the body. In other words, no gap or overhang of the body to the skirt. That's why I don't like skirts on most of my builds because they never fit right. I'll have to glue them in before I mount the body on the frame in order to hold them in the right position.  

19 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Looks great and I like the license plate.

Thanks David, I'm glad you noticed the plate. I wanted to use "FLAMINGO" but it looked awkward no matter how I tried to fit it in.

15 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

You are right about mounting the fender skirts inside but the trick will be on my build to get the skirt to the edge of the wheel opening so that the fender skirt is flush with lip on the body. In other words, no gap or overhang of the body to the skirt. That's why I don't like skirts on most of my builds because they never fit right. I'll have to glue them in before I mount the body on the frame in order to hold them in the right position.  

I agree with you on the fit of the skirts in the kit, it's a compromise at best. It was a struggle to get them placed with the chassis installed. The mounting area of the skirts really doesn't follow the same curve that the fender has between the beltline and the bottom of the body. Cutting and fitting custom styrene pieces would be the only way to match the appearance of the real world factory-made skirts.

125203_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg.2b052f6a232d29df8060ddbf31e705e6.jpg

I did think about fabricating my own skirts but I at this point in the process, I was more than ready to have it done and didn't want to cause more problems than I might be solving.

For mounting the skirts, I used PVA. That gave me a long working time to get them placed aligned as well as I could. I installed them one at a time and had to hold them in place with toothpicks as the glue cured. The right one stayed in place while the left one sagged at the rear just a bit. I thought about correcting it but decided that I could live with it the way it was.

Thanks for taking the time to comment John. I'd enjoy seeing your solution to this when you build yours.

David G. 

On 3/5/2021 at 4:58 AM, PappyD340 said:

Looks great, nicely done!

Thanks Larry.

16 hours ago, randyc said:

Hey,

Looks even better over here finished.   

Thanks Randy, it's nice to have it done.

11 hours ago, gseeds said:

Looks very awesome!

Thanks Gary, I'm glad you like it.

I already have a start on my next build, I should have some photos to post in a couple of days.

Thanks again,

David G.

Hello, here is a quick snap of the engine bay for those who may be interested.

I almost always do some dirt and weathering on the chassis and engine bay but there may be a bit too much on this one.

58_Edsel_68.jpg.a93a00ea7f48c7c5caf328daf53d7080.jpg

But this is probably the first and last time that anyone besides me will ever see it.

I still have to get a shot of it in my display case too.

Thanks again,

David G.

22 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looks great, very nicely finished and the Continental kit looks so good on this. I find sometimes the ones that fight you the most can turn out better than ones that don't.

Thank you Gareth. Yes, it's nice when the extra effort pays off.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer