Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Moebius Pickup Kit Summary, all 11 of them!

My summary, based on the box art or some I have bought.  Please correct me if I made any mistakes!

Year

Model

Bed Length

Engine

Extras

Custom Cab Styleside

8’

352 V8

Ford Service Truck

8’ Service Bed

352 V8

Short Bed Styleside

6-1/2’

352 V8

F-100 Custom Cab 4x4

8’

352 V8

9 wheels/6 chrome

F-100 Flareside

6-1/2’

Straight 6

5 wheels/4 chrome

F-100 Service Bed

8’ Service Bed

352 V8

8 wheels

F-100 Custom Cab

6-1/2’

Straight 6

5 wheels/4 hubcaps

F-100 Custom

6-1/2’

Straight 6

F-100 Custom Cab 4x4

8’

360 V8

Ranger XLT

8’

390 V8

5 wheels/4 chrome/4 discs

Sport Custom

6-1/2’

302 V8

Moebius_1.jpg

Moebius_2.jpg

• Like 1

Looks about right to me. I love how Moebius and Salvinos JR don't block off runners and give you lots of extra parts in each kit. I think just about all of the recent issues of the pickups have multiple transmissions, pedals, exhaust, and tailgates. 😀

10 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Looks about right to me. I love how Moebius and Salvinos JR don't block off runners and give you lots of extra parts in each kit. I think just about all of the recent issues of the pickups have multiple transmissions, pedals, exhaust, and tailgates. 😀

Does the 66 Custom cab 4X4 have the non 4x4 suspension also?

Does the 67 Service truck also have the stock bed?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Motor City said:

That's a great list, and I concur with Miles.  Someone at Moebius sure likes the big Ford pickup.  Too bad they don't like the Ranchero!

Show me the series of 11 Rancheros that can be made all using the same chassis, suspension, and drive train components and then you might be onto something. That's the thing about the F-Series series. Underneath the body and interior (which are shared amongst the individual year groups) all 11 kits are identical (other than frame length for the two bed lengths).

24 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Show me the series of 11 Rancheros that can be made all using the same chassis, suspension, and drive train components and then you might be onto something. That's the thing about the F-Series series. Underneath the body and interior (which are shared amongst the individual year groups) all 11 kits are identical (other than frame length for the two bed lengths).

The 4x4s have different (lower) mounting points for the suspension parts. I plan to extend them even more to get the chassis higher, though the Fireball Models F250 conversion kit is really the way to go for a nice looking 4x4

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

As I recall, the Torino went to a body-on-frame in '72.  So you could have the Ranchero GT for '72-79 (that's 8), throw in another 8 for a Ranchero Squire (wood-grained panels).  Some varieties could have bench seat, while others could have the buckets and console.  You could also have the base Ranchero 500 version.  Granted, there are probably no external differences between the '77-'79, but it is still a lot to choose from.

As I've said before on this forum, multiple versions of a single tool with different grille, hood, taillights and bumpers would give many variations to build. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:45 PM, Motor City said:

As I recall, the Torino went to a body-on-frame in '72.  So you could have the Ranchero GT for '72-79 (that's 8), throw in another 8 for a Ranchero Squire (wood-grained panels).  Some varieties could have bench seat, while others could have the buckets and console.  You could also have the base Ranchero 500 version.  Granted, there are probably no external differences between the '77-'79, but it is still a lot to choose from.

As I've said before on this forum, multiple versions of a single tool with different grille, hood, taillights and bumpers would give many variations to build. 

Yes but the 72, 73-76, and the 77-79 all have different bodies. The LTD based Ranchero are also 5" longer. Aside from a side argument that you'd have a lot of trouble selling that many effectively identical cars (there's no box length difference, or 4x4, etc). You're talking about at least 3 different body tools for those 8 proposed kits, which isn't going to fly even if they share the same dirty bits.

Those F Series succeed because all 5 64/65 kits share the same cabs, and common bed pieces, PLUS all the rest of the mechanicals from the first (later model year) kits. All 6 of the 67-72 kits share the same cab and common pieces as well. 

Personally I'd love to see a '72 Ranchero, and I'd be willing to pay the $45-50 it would cost to get a single year, basically single use kit to market. But I'm not sure how many others would support that price point.

You could do the '72-'76 with two separate front clips (the same concept was used on the '71 Ventura Sprint kit).  Accurate fit would probably be unsatisfactory like it was on that kit.  The potential is there with CAD and 3D printing to make minor changes without a lot of tooling expense.  I would be curious as to how  the variations of the Ford pickup are selling by body type.

If anyone is interested the kit numbers starting at the top and progressing down to the last entry are:  1234,1235, 1233, 1236, 1232, 1239, 1227, 1228, 1230, 1208, 1220.  Kits 1235, 1233, 1227 and 1228 are Model King releases, the rest are Moebius releases.  I have all of these kits except for the '67 Service truck issue.  Didn't buy it because I was disappointed with the '65 Model.

12 hours ago, modelercarl said:

If anyone is interested the kit numbers starting at the top and progressing down to the last entry are:  1234,1235, 1233, 1236, 1232, 1239, 1227, 1228, 1230, 1208, 1220.  Kits 1235, 1233, 1227 and 1228 are Model King releases, the rest are Moebius releases.  I have all of these kits except for the '67 Service truck issue.  Didn't buy it because I was disappointed with the '65 Model.

Why were you disappointed with the ‘65 service truck?

28 minutes ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Why were you disappointed with the ‘65 service truck?

Speaking just for myself, I wish they would put the service body on an F250 chassis.  It's not very realistic to put a service body on a half-ton due to the weight of the body and contents.  And as far as that goes, it would be nice to see the F250 4x4 highboy as well.  Yes, I know the conversion is available via aftermarket, but at a price.

As Roy has stated in his post I thought the service bed should have been kitted on a F-250 chassis with dually wheels.  I think the 2D representations on the box art don't really demonstrate just how undersized an F-150 chassis is for this kit.  Would have been nice to have an overhead rack included in the kit as well.

I would think that there could many variations of service trucks built using a basic F-250 model.

• Like 1

I'd love to see F-350s derived from this series, but it's probably not going to happen.

FWIW, I have seen pictures 1:1 trucks of these generations with utility beds, even short wheelbase, apparently.  One listing claims that a particular '65 F100 was ordered as a chassis-cab, with a 3/4-ton axle and rear suspension.  A Powers utility body was installed at the dealer.

I think modelers will be happy to see a nice utility body they can put on any chassis.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:59 AM, Kromolly said:

Speaking just for myself, I wish they would put the service body on an F250 chassis.  It's not very realistic to put a service body on a half-ton due to the weight of the body and contents.  And as far as that goes, it would be nice to see the F250 4x4 highboy as well.  Yes, I know the conversion is available via aftermarket, but at a price.

To be fair, I think Joseph's (Fireball) conversion surpasses anything that would come from Moebius if they decided to make a 250/350 version of the kit.

Let's not forget that at the time you could buy, from Ford, utility cabinets in place of the fenders on the flareside bed. Light service vehicles with utility beds were probably more common than the F-550 behemoths that are common today.

• 1 month later...