Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow! Video of purchased collection!

18 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I suspect the great majority of the things that might truly be interesting will disappear into the personal collection of Andy and other locals in Arizona, but that's the way of the world with these things. Here locally we have a few people that buy up old collections and the two car focuses clubs always get a "Member's First" look at the goods before they ever get to retail...

Probably true, but even their collections will be dispersed again someday.

The key is to be the last "collector" when everybody else has gone!

I'm betting that won't be me.

The molded-in-grey '49 Fords spoke to me a little bit. I have one around here somewhere that my dad built in the early 1960s. It's painted green with grey and black interior like the 1:1 my parents bought in Brownsville, Texas around 1951. I really need to dig it out and give it some love. 

I read thru the thread so i watched the clip again. Where are the mid 1960's to early 1970's annuals that were never repopped? Where are the show cars that got butchered into something 'better'? Where are the crude but irreplaceable late 1950's annuals?

Where are the old Funnies and early Pro Stockers? Common stuff except for maybe 5 or 6 toward the end that wagged my tail. Guess i'm jaded.

I drove there yesterday (about an hour and 15 minutes one way), and they have not pulled everything out yet, and have stacks and stacks of those boxes still stacked in the back corner. I too thought it was a majority of race car kits, but apparently that was just a few boxes, with the majority being muscle, and 50s/60s cars. 

The good news, Andy is very fair on the pricing of the items I saw that were put out, and from what I have heard from others that were already ble to go buy some. He has one area set up where they are priced at $20 each, or 3 for $50.  Other items are placed in the normal automotive section, and I was able to pick up a Monogram Badman for $25, which I have not been able to land online because the prices are outrageous.  So while many on this forum may have massive collections  and/or narrow interests and are not impressed, there is no doubt in my mind that this will certainly be a great deal for a lot of people. He could certainly piece it out, and sell some items online for more than he will ask in his shop. 

As with anything some will like what they have, some will not. Personally, I like being able to physically shop for kits, like a swap. I may see some things that spark an interest that I would not have thought, "hey, let me go look online for _____".

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Common stuff except for maybe 5 or 6 toward the end that wagged my tail. Guess i'm jaded.

Pretty much the attitude of this board! 😀 I posted the video because I thought people might enjoy seeing a thousand kit collection sold.

Seems the owner probably bought it all at swap meets day the past ten or twenty years. He didn’t have expensive taste to grab those $100 plus early sixties annuals. This lot echos a lot of people’s collections. 

As I watched I imagined that’s what would happen to my stuff after I’m gone. A bit of an eye opener there!

I don’t think it’s so much that some of us were disappointed in the contents of the purchase, but more that we found it a little humorous how they got so excited about some pretty common or mundane items and pretty much just kind of passed over some of the most interesting or rare items.

Maybe that was by design?

Maybe they didn’t want anybody to notice the stuff that was actually worth something?

Or do they just not have a lot of knowledge in that area of the hobby?

I have my doubts that the latter is the case, so I suppose it will remain a mystery.

Steve

I had to roll my eyes at the latest in the line of these videos that has a video thumbnail that states "Over 1,300 Model Kits Found!"

Found?

Did ya?

I find 1,300 model kits everytime I turn on my basement lights...but they didn't just magically show up one morning...looks like this thread and other chatter has conjured up a video from one if his friends claiming we're "hating" on this epic amazing find of a lifetime. 

3 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Besides these kits being rare or semi rare, are Johan kits good building kits as far as ease and accuracy 

All Johan kits were manufactured from molds produced prior to the 80s, so like most kits from that era, they are generally simple kits with simplified tub interiors and slab chassis.

While the Chassis and interiors are not great, they're really no worse than other kits produced by AMT or MPC in the 60s and 70s.

Johan's engines are generally on par with the competition from their era, but where Johan really shines is in the body accuracy department.

I think you'll find little argument that Johan produced some of the most accurate bodies ever produced in 1/25th scale back then, and you can make the argument that it still holds true today.

Steve 

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

They build well except for one thing: Jo-Han plastic is uncommonly brittle.

It can be.

But then again, age is often the culprit when it comes to brittle plastic.

Old kits from other manufacturers can often be brittle as well, and as we know, there are no new Johan kits. 😊

Steve

17 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Besides these kits being rare or semi rare, are Johan kits good building kits as far as ease and accuracy 

The biggest issue with JoHan kits are the ones that most of these appear to be. The USA Oldies Series which are all very late JoHan or Seville Industries era reissues. They tend to be missing all of the inserts for most of the extra parts by that time, most of them seem to be run in whatever color plastic pellets they both had left over from their primary molding jobs of making 1:1 car parts - so it's possible to get kits that are more than one color inside, in ways that defy explanation. Also by this time most of the molds were showing age and a lot of them didn't line up real well and the kits are resulting flash monsters. I have a DeSoto Adventurer that has body mold seems that are almost more prominent than the car's actual fins. 

They wouldn't command the prices they do if not for the fact, as Steve points out, there aren't ever going to be new ones.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The biggest issue with JoHan kits are the ones that most of these appear to be. The USA Oldies Series which are all very late JoHan or Seville Industries era reissues. They tend to be missing all of the inserts for most of the extra parts by that time, most of them seem to be run in whatever color plastic pellets they both had left over from their primary molding jobs of making 1:1 car parts - so it's possible to get kits that are more than one color inside, in ways that defy explanation. Also by this time most of the molds were showing age and a lot of them didn't line up real well and the kits are resulting flash monsters. I have a DeSoto Adventurer that has body mold seems that are almost more prominent than the car's actual fins. 

They wouldn't command the prices they do if not for the fact, as Steve points out, there aren't ever going to be new ones.

HI!

In the last year, I've built three Johan kits that I was lucky to find at "reasonable" prices: A 70 Challenger FC, a 72 Torino, and a 64 Caddy convertible. I agree that the standard cars platform and interiors are just "typical" of model technology of the 60's, but the bodies are first rate. Past experience with a 68 Javelin , a 68 Chrysler 300 hardtop and a 70 Eldorado confirm that opinion. I still have a few waiting for their turn on my bench: two 68 Javelin (a promo and a FC kit), a Pinto FC, a 70 Eldo and a 35 Mercedes coupe. The kits among those confirm the "great bodies - average remaining components" opinion. The plastic used under the Seville management does NOT seems the utmost quality. And the tires are "poor" on average. 

Even the more reasons to "mash-up" those, without guilt I might add...

CT 

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

On another note, it might be helpful to know that there are several "USA Oldies" kits that have incorrect interiors or interior parts.

For instance, as is widely known, the interior in the '62 Chrysler 300 kit is not a '62 interior, but rather the interior from a 1965 Chrysler 300 promo with a '62 dash.

Likewise, as far as incorrect interior parts go, the USA Oldies '64 Cadillac has a correct tub, but the front seats are not correct.

The upholstery patterns don't come close to matching between the front and rear seats.

There are others as well.

Just a little more info to those that might not be aware of these anomalies.

Steve

I suspect the great majority of the things that might truly be interesting will disappear into the personal collection of Andy and other locals in Arizona, but that's the way of the world with these things. Here locally we have a few people that buy up old collections and the two car focuses clubs always get a "Member's First" look at the goods before they ever get to retail...

Seeing how they are doing all of the work and have fronted the money, how else would YOU do it?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Seeing how they are doing all of the work and have fronted the money, how else would YOU do it?

I never said it wasn't the way it's done, just explained that's how it works.  Collections come up all the time all over the place - it's a matter of being in the right place with the right amount of cash.

If anything I'm just tired of the - Golly Gee Willicker Look What I "Found" - nature of it all. Andy comes off as this lovable almost bumbling character on YT, but he runs a successful hobby shop which means he's a smart and shrewd businessman. He knows EXACTLY what he bought down to the last box. All of these videos are doing is creating unnecessary fake drama. If the collection contents are truly great, they will sell themselves.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, niteowl7710 said:

I never said it wasn't the way it's done, just explained that's how it works.  Collections come up all the time all over the place - it's a matter of being in the right place with the right amount of cash.

If anything I'm just tired of the - Golly Gee Willicker Look What I "Found" - nature of it all. Andy comes off as this lovable almost bumbling character on YT, but he runs a successful hobby shop which means he's a smart and shrewd businessman. He knows EXACTLY what he bought down to the last box. All of these videos are doing is creating unnecessary fake drama. If the collection contents are truly great, they will sell themselves.

"He knows EXACTLY what he bought down to the last box" 

How do you know this? 

Andy is the real deal, he is not a BS artist, but he is a good business man. And how is it creating fake drama? By opening boxes and showing you what is in it? DRAMA RAMA! Creating Drama would be by placing all the good stuff in the boxes that are opened all time, not one good one and then Swap Meet fodder. 

I love the "He Takes Care of His Buddies" comments. Andy takes care of  his customers, and yes, the best customers get a better shot at it, because they buy. Spending money vs. griping, Money wins. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

"He knows EXACTLY what he bought down to the last box" 

How do you know this? 

Andy is the real deal, he is not a BS artist, but he is a good business man. And how is it creating fake drama? By opening boxes and showing you what is in it? DRAMA RAMA! Creating Drama would be by placing all the good stuff in the boxes that are opened all time, not one good one and then Swap Meet fodder. 

I love the "He Takes Care of His Buddies" comments. Andy takes care of  his customers, and yes, the best customers get a better shot at it, because they buy. Spending money vs. griping, Money wins. 

How do I know that? Because I believe I stated - lemme check, yep I did - Andy's no idiot.  Nobody involved in this hobby who buys collections would ever buy one sight unseen without a complete and thorough inventory.  How else would you even know what to offer for it?  Beyond that without an agreed upon inventory, how do you keep someone who's selling you stuff from going - Yep it's all here *pats boxes* and the 50 most valuable kits are now AWOL - and nobody knows nothing about no case of '68 Coronets.  1,300 swap meet & NASCAR kits is a wildly different figure than 1,300 vintage promos and annuals.  He might not know exactly what kit is in exactly which one of those banker boxes, but he dang well knows exactly what kits are SUPPOSED to be in there in total.

Go read through the comment sections on these videos he and his friends are posting, and then tell me this isn't creating a whole slew of unnecessary drama.  Because people (at this point it's several people) normally suggest hobby shop owners hire armed guards to "Keep the trash from showing up and stealing all the good stuff"... 🙄 What trash? Who is trash in this scenario? These are model kits. not gold bullion.  They're all worth 69 cents to $20, like they were new unless someone is willing to pay more for them.  The calls to make it all into a museum, the jealousy, the petty bickering, the "1300 found models", the "model kit archaeology", the people thanking him for "Bring these kits back into the open" - like the poor schmoe who spent his life collecting them all was some evil doer who was destroying the hobby.  It's all low level made for YouTube drama that could have been skipped. 

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1