Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aluminum paint for mag wheels

Can anyone recommend a good paint for aluminum mag wheels?

I have some 3d printed (SLA) wheels.  I've tried Testors Aluminum Metallizer and it won't stick to the bare material, and when I use primer the metallizer looks too dull.  I've tried airbrushed Molotow and it looks great, but too much like chrome.  I've tried Alclad chrome and it looks too dark.

Is there any other alternative I could try?

Bill, 3D printed items are made from a different plastic to what most of us are used to, so it will be interesting to see what works for you eventually. There are a number of different metal like finishing products like Alclad, AK  and S&J aluminium polishing powders, but a lot of experimentation could get a bit expensive!

Dare I say it, but it may well be worth having a look at other websites for the aircraft modelling fraternity who have been simulating polished aluminium panels on their models.

I recently finished a scratch built Napier Railton with a polished aluminium body. Mine was made from polystyrene plastic card. I used white matt automotive acrylic primer, followed by a raffle can chrome finish. This was sealed with clear. When dry I went over it with CI metallising powder and buffing it up, then followed on with S&J aluminium legalizing powder and buffing it up also.

There are some photos of the Napier in a thread ' Can we see some scratch built things?'

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Several years ago, I bought a can of Plasti Kote Aluminum paint. It works great for the aluminum look. But, it's no longer available. That said, I'm 99% sure that Dupli Color makes an aluminum paint also. I know they make a chrome paint. 

This is what the Plasti Kote Aluminum looks like on a bumper.

20191212_141421-1

57 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Several years ago, I bought a can of Plasti Kote Aluminum paint. It works great for the aluminum look. But, it's no longer available. That said, I'm 99% sure that Dupli Color makes an aluminum paint also. I know they make a chrome paint. 

This is what the Plasti Kote Aluminum looks like on a bumper.

20191212_141421-1

The finish on that bumper is exactly what I'm looking for. 

I'll try the Duplicolor on a spoon and see what it looks like.  I've also got a couple of other rattle cans like Rustoleum lying around. 

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll send some pictures when I get it sorted out. 

I suspect that Bill is looking for the look of smooth polished aluminum, not a cast-aluminum flat finish.  He is probably looking for a semigloss finish.

Flat aluminum paint is good for simulating brushed aluminum finish.

Edited by peteski

You can polish the flat aluminum craft paints with Formula ! scratch out and bring them up to a luster finish just fwiw. Both FolkArt and Craft Smart have some pretty nice silvers to choose from between the brands.