Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Surf Shark 1959 Cadillac Ambulance

Casey

On 8/11/2021 at 1:23 AM, alan barton said:

Come and live in Australia where kits haven't been UNDER $60 for the last three years or so.

Well AU$ is only worth abut 0.71 US$, so AU$60 is $42 American.  Still a bit high, but not as bad as it appears without the conversion.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2021 at 2:13 PM, the other Mike S. said:

Relax…it’s probably on one of those freighters coming in from China.  They’re all stacked up right now in the ocean off Long Beach.

And I read that a container from China was in the $4000 range and current charges are $10,000 or more..  ya know who is going to be paying for this!

And R2 said the next release would be a stock ambulance! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Is it the ex Polar Lights or the Amt/Ertl kit?

BTW The windows are damped, are they smoking pot inide?!  :D

Smoked up Windows? Maybe Cheech and Chong have turned to being lifeguards at the local beach..😉 I was pretty excited when I first ran across the announcement of this kit but that initial luster has faded...but I'll probably twist my own arm and pick one up anyway. I'd love to see a reissued version of the aurora meat wagon or '39 La Salle hearse model kit in a one piece bodies. Wishful thinking?

On 8/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Is it the ex Polar Lights or the Amt/Ertl kit?

BTW The windows are damped, are they smoking pot inide?!  :D

Smoked up Windows? Maybe Cheech and Chong have turned to being lifeguards at the local beach..😉 I was pretty excited when I first ran across the announcement of this kit but that initial luster has faded...but I'll probably twist my own arm and pick one up anyway. I'd love to see a reissued version of the aurora meat wagon or '39 La Salle hearse model kit in a one piece bodies. Wishful thinking?

7 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Not sure what the heck is going on but some how I've repeated the same thing over and over after the site tells me to verify myself? Sorry guys!

The Polar Lights version had smoked (dark) side and rear windows.  It has been my impression that it is the old AMT version that's being reissued.

I think it has been stated that a straight ambulance version will be issued later.  I'd be curious to see what the present reissue will look like. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I wonder if they have cleaned up the body and filled in the various holes for mounting the Ghostbusters gear.  iIRC, they were cast open…

I think that's why Round2 tooled up the roof-mounted wedge-shaped lights, to effectively fill the two holes in each corner of the roof. 

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I think that's why Round2 tooled up the roof-mounted wedge-shaped lights, to effectively fill the two holes in each corner of the roof. 

Maybe, the holes are towards the middle of the roof, though...and there are many other holes and tabs on the roof...the surf rack might use the same tabs that the ECTO-1A gear rack did.   There are holes and a mounting plate on the left rear quarter that would need smoothed and filled in also. 

Edited by Rob Hall

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

There are holes and a mounting plate on the left rear quarter that would need smoothed and filled in also. 

Maybe that's why the surfboard is positioned like so?:

AMT1242SurfShark1959CadillacAmbulance.jpg.4d188581ccb18e9e9ec81eb6418b21f7.jpg

I've never had the ECTO-1 kit in hand to look over, so after a quick Goolging, found this, which shows the raised protrusions on the roof:

*edit* better image per link below:

comp_DSCN7069.jpg.7093a9143d680c076dc5596cad14d223.jpg

Maybe Mike W or Steve G can share what was done exactly.

Edited by Casey

PL has inside lower fins so can’t see join iirc. OG AMT has separate complete fins.. Also AMT has diamond plate step bumper. 
Forget which issue this is but moon caps seem to mean AMT. 
Thanks Rob edited becuz I’m old 

AMT OG

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=53191

Edited by keyser
Screwed up

22 minutes ago, keyser said:

Finless one is PL. OG AMT is finned. 
forget which issue this is but moon caps seem to mean AMT. 

The one I have has separate fins and moon caps (one piece wheels), and says AMT on the box.   I have the original AMT issue in storage, so can't compare them...never had the PL one.

Edited by Rob Hall

Just now, Rob Hall said:

The one I have has separate fins and moon caps (one piece wheels), and says AMT on the box.  

Yeah. PL has partial fins inside lower section. Screwed up. Thx Rob. 
PL has real caddy caps and w/w.  AMT moons and b/w way back anyway