Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Surf Shark 1959 Cadillac Ambulance

Casey

15 hours ago, Dave Van said:

One thing many big box stores do is TELL THE MANUFACTURE what they will pay. They will go to a company and say ' We want 25,000 kits and we will pay $10 each. Hard to turn down a quarter million dollars for something you make already.  Not fair....the way things work today. 

Oh I'm aware it's how business works but this is one of those things that truly TRULY gets under my skin. How often do we see or hear "I'd shop at the LHS but they gouge on prices" as a refrain? I price on a roughly 5% below MSRP matrix on my shelves. Net result, Tamiya's all new and fully detail Toyota GR86 kit carries a smaller price tag than this rehashed Ecto-1 but somehow I'M the gouger, not sweet innocent Round 2. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Oh I'm aware it's how business works but this is one of those things that truly TRULY gets under my skin. How often do we see or hear "I'd shop at the LHS but they gouge on prices" as a refrain? 

Nearly as often as "I hope HL gets this kit!" 🤦‍♀️

16 hours ago, Dave Van said:

One thing many big box stores do is TELL THE MANUFACTURE what they will pay.

Let's not pretend Round2 doesn't have a choice in the matter, either. We, as consumers, can chose not to support a company which gets into bed with WM, too.

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

Let's not pretend Round2 doesn't have a choice in the matter, either. We, as consumers, can chose not to support a company which gets into bed with WM, too.

I ran a hobby shop for many years, a buddy owned it and I helped. I am glad I don't do it today. (he passed) I am not sure if I own R2 and a chain store came to me and said 'He is $250,000 firm order' (this is ONE kit remember) if I could say no. I am pretty sure if ANYONE ordered 5,000 kits they can get that price. This is how business world works. IT IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR.....but neither is life. 

Yes....thankfully we still get to pick who we support with our cash. (for now) Boycotting WM or R2 is all well and good. Just keep in mind both will still continue without us. We are the fringe. Thanks

12 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I ran a hobby shop for many years, a buddy owned it and I helped. I am glad I don't do it today. (he passed) I am not sure if I own R2 and a chain store came to me and said 'He is $250,000 firm order' (this is ONE kit remember) if I could say no. I am pretty sure if ANYONE ordered 5,000 kits they can get that price. This is how business world works. IT IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR.....but neither is life. 

Yes....thankfully we still get to pick who we support with our cash. (for now) Boycotting WM or R2 is all well and good. Just keep in mind both will still continue without us. We are the fringe. Thanks

Oh I'm under no delusions that Round 2 truly cares what dinky 300 square foot Haven Hobby in just off the lake Ohio does as far as our purchasing habits compared to the Walmart contract. I am also completely aware that it's likely connected to Johnny Lightning continuing to get peg space in the toy car aisle. They are welcome to do with their business as they like. I will do what's in my business's best interest and that is to not clutter my shelves with half-baked reissues no one asked for at nosebleed prices that will be undercut by half by the big box up the street.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I am pretty sure if ANYONE ordered 5,000 kits they can get that price. This is how business world works. IT IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR.....but neither is life.

I understand. I don't think any business wants to go out of business for the sole purpose of standing their ground, but it does carry some weight with some customers, and...

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

I will do what's in my business's best interest and that is to not clutter my shelves with half-baked reissues no one asked for at nosebleed prices that will be undercut by half by the big box up the street.

...their are LHS owners (^^^) who understand they are more of a niche business now, compare to 50 years ago, and will continue to work that angle, as well as the personal service aspect.

It does pay to remember what happened the last time RC2 and Revell worked with WM, meeting their price demands, but I have no doubt many people will lament the lack of $7.44 kits, rather than remember the de-contented, below-average quality kits inside the boxes.

• Like 1

WM does it to everyone. Ugly but Amazon also squeezing them. Bad for small business great for the omg 40% off isn’t enough gang. 

Funny yesterday in news blurbs on gas prices, people drove many miles to save $.05. 

Hey kids, you burned more than that driving around and sitting in line for hours. Hope hours of your life worth that huge savings. 

In LHS, tempting to arbitrage prices at WM to stock shelves. Takes time but accomplices handy I’d hope. Suspect some EBay weasels do exactly that. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤬

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:48 PM, Daddyfink said:

My LHS has them at almost $45! So yeah, $24 is cheap! 

Sorry, my price was a bit off, it is actually more! And for a few more bucks, you can buy a Hasegawa, Tamiya or other import kit! And no, this kit just does not rank that high in quality to me! 

The crazy part is that I just picked up the Californian kit and that was only $32!! 

surfshark.jpg

I've said it about many things, but it also applies to model kits...

Prices set expectations.

We're living in weird times where the local hobby shop has this for 45 bucks, along with  Tamiya reissues for under 25 bucks on the same shelf.  Sheesh... new Tamiya kits are a few bucks cheaper than the Surf Shark, by and large, nevermind Revell stuff.  And pretty much any of those kits would be a more satisfying experience than this one.  Personally, if they'd tooled up the parts to make a stock ambulance (or hearse... can we let Johan have their five decade monopoly on the hearse model kit market continue?) at this same price, okay, maybe I'd spring for it.  But for what amounts to a de-contented reissue of a relatively common kit, with a couple little doodads and the stock surfboards they've stuffed into a couple of recent reissues? Well, I won't knock anybody for being excited about this kit or buying it, but the value per dollar ratio just doesn't quite do it for me.

And I remember balking at the price when Revell introduced the two in one version of the '64 Thunderbolt (TWENTY DOLLARS FOR A MODEL KIT!!!???) but I still bought quite a few of those, because it at least felt like I was getting something out of it.  This Surf Shark kit's MSRP is more in line with something like the '63 Nova full detail wagon, which inexplicably sells for less... 

Maybe they believe they'll make up for it in volume with the Nova wagon. I dunno.

5 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Prices set expectations.

We're living in weird times where the local hobby shop has this for 45 bucks, along with  Tamiya reissues for under 25 bucks on the same shelf.  Sheesh... new Tamiya kits are a few bucks cheaper than the Surf Shark, by and large, nevermind Revell stuff.  And pretty much any of those kits would be a more satisfying experience than this one.  Personally, if they'd tooled up the parts to make a stock ambulance (or hearse... can we let Johan have their five decade monopoly on the hearse model kit market continue?) at this same price, okay, maybe I'd spring for it.  But for what amounts to a de-contented reissue of a relatively common kit, with a couple little doodads and the stock surfboards they've stuffed into a couple of recent reissues? Well, I won't knock anybody for being excited about this kit or buying it, but the value per dollar ratio just doesn't quite do it for me.

And I remember balking at the price when Revell introduced the two in one version of the '64 Thunderbolt (TWENTY DOLLARS FOR A MODEL KIT!!!???) but I still bought quite a few of those, because it at least felt like I was getting something out of it.  This Surf Shark kit's MSRP is more in line with something like the '63 Nova full detail wagon, which inexplicably sells for less... 

Maybe they believe they'll make up for it in volume with the Nova wagon. I dunno.

Yeah, Round2 pretty openly trades on nostalgia, but a big part of that nostalgia is remembering buying these same kits for a buck or so. Constantly raising their prices has to affect sales at some point. I also subscribe to some modeling subs on Reddit where the average age is much lower than here. Newer builders constantly post about feeling ripped off by AMT and MPC kits. They expect modern quality for kits that cost the same as brand new tooling and haven't been in the hobby long enough to know what the history of a kit might be. Round2 is building a bad reputation among folks who will be the future of the hobby.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Prices set expectations.

We're living in weird times where the local hobby shop has this for 45 bucks, along with  Tamiya reissues for under 25 bucks on the same shelf.  Sheesh... new Tamiya kits are a few bucks cheaper than the Surf Shark, by and large, nevermind Revell stuff.  And pretty much any of those kits would be a more satisfying experience than this one.  Personally, if they'd tooled up the parts to make a stock ambulance (or hearse... can we let Johan have their five decade monopoly on the hearse model kit market continue?) at this same price, okay, maybe I'd spring for it.  But for what amounts to a de-contented reissue of a relatively common kit, with a couple little doodads and the stock surfboards they've stuffed into a couple of recent reissues? Well, I won't knock anybody for being excited about this kit or buying it, but the value per dollar ratio just doesn't quite do it for me...

X2

• Like 1

They DID tool up parts to make it LOOK like a stock ambulance. Those very funky lights are the real deal, although most of us have never seen them. I will buy your argument about the lack of parts vs the retail price though. However, we have no way of knowing what else is happening behind the scenes with this kit, and it stablemate. We may yet see a complete Caddy Ambulance from Round2, yet.

So Give 'em a chance. 

23 hours ago, alexis said:

However, we have no way of knowing what else is happening behind the scenes with this kit, and it stablemate. We may yet see a complete Caddy Ambulance from Round2, yet.

Actually, we do, and was mentioned here:

Edited by Casey

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks R2 is getting a little obscene on their prices, be it MSRP or wholesale. As I said in another thread, it's just about to the point I can't justify spending $30+ for a kit that was tooled 40+ years ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'll wait and find an older issue at a swap for $10-15 on average. (Altho I did buy the new Nova wagon and '64 Olds convert.)

I was in my LHS the other day, AMT/MPC kits prices got brought up in the conversation. He said the casual builder will almost always pick a Moebius or Revell kit over an AMT kit since they are priced lower than the AMT kits. Take that for what you will. 

If it's something I want, I buy it. Of course I would like it cheaper, but price is secondary. I see it as sort of an investment. They have things I want to see reissued so I help keep them in business. Besides, aren't they one of the few that still put names on the tires?

Edited by Tabbysdaddy

9 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

If it's something I want, I buy it. Of course I would like it cheaper, but price is secondary. I see it as sort of an investment. They have things I want to see reissued so I help keep them in business. Besides, aren't they one of the few that still put names on the tires?

Well, I would gladly pay the price if this where a brand new and full detail tool, but it is not. It is an old curbside style tool that was only slightly updated with a few new parts, and if they did not include the original GB parts, less parts  in the box! And as times get tougher, some folks are shying away from such purchases, and some realize this is not worth that kind of money. 

If you have stock in the company, then you are investing, otherwise, you are just a consumer. Round 2 has their money from the shops that sell you the kit, now it is up to the shop to get a return on their investment. 

All you are showing Round 2 is that you are willing to buy stuff like this and that will just encourage them to keep pumping it out. 

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Actually, we do-- @pack rathas mentioned there is a closer-to-"stock" ambulance version in the pipeline, IIRC.

I think you're mistaken, Casey.

If someone mentioned any upcoming variation of this kit it wasn't me.

Typically if I hear "stuff" re upcoming kits I don't repeat it, but in this case I have no knowledge of any future Ghostbuster/ambulance kits. 

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

FWIW the next round of Revell US releases (442 Olds, 69 Camaro 396SS, '66 Malibu. '37 Chevy P/U etc) are all MSRP'd for $36.95. Consider that pre-Rona (post buyout) Revell kits MSRP'd for $29.95...

Which - with the baffling exception of the '66 Malibu nostalgia release - are all reasonably modern full detail kits priced competitively with other mainstream manufacturers such as Tamiya, Moebius, Aoshima, Salvinos JR, and Hasegawa. The issue isn't that Round 2 is raising their prices. The issue is that Round 2 is pricing FOR HOBBY SHOPS SPECIFICALLY as if it were a premium brand (genuinely, Hasegawa non-Limited Edition curbsides that still have metal transfers have lower MSRP's than Round 2's Surf Shark) when it's not offering a competitive product and then turning right around and putting the same product on palletized shipper displays for outlets for less than wholesale. 

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, I would gladly pay the price if this where a brand new and full detail tool, but it is not. It is an old curbside style tool that was only slightly updated with a few new parts, and if they did not include the original GB parts, less parts  in the box! And as times get tougher, some folks are shying away from such purchases, and some realize this is not worth that kind of money. 

If you have stock in the company, then you are investing, otherwise, you are just a consumer. Round 2 has their money from the shops that sell you the kit, now it is up to the shop to get a return on their investment. 

All you are showing Round 2 is that you are willing to buy stuff like this and that will just encourage them to keep pumping it out. 

That's why I said I see it as sort of investing, I know I'm not an investor in the strictest sense of the word. I am willing to buy some of the stuff they pump out, if it's something I want. They just need to keep pumping away until they get to the stuff I like. Most of the stuff seen as nostalgia here is too old to my liking, my nostalgia is the newer crappy kits. :D

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

I think you're mistaken, Casey.

If someone mentioned any upcoming variation of this kit it wasn't me.

Typically if I hear "stuff" re upcoming kits I don't repeat it, but in this case I have no knowledge of any future Ghostbuster/ambulance kits. 

Ok, sorry then, I thought it was you, but perhaps I "remebered" something which wasn't.