Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7

Plowboy

• 1 month later...

I got a bit of shine on the Galaxie and the foil applied. I just have to hit it all with Tamiya Finish Compound and it'll be ready for the glass. Then, I can concentrate on the engine and chassis.

20220310_092135-1.jpg.7a23cae5df1bb3b3410fffea656a6a97.jpg

I'm thinking I'll paint the recess on the chrome trim red or black.

20220310_092207-1.jpg.6d5ac4bd71030e5fbd5cdb0932caab7d.jpg

20220310_092249-1.jpg.4f4880a8ae54cbab6dcb2ad2f0c724d5.jpgThe 

• Like 3

Haven’t seen this one in a while! Glad to see you back on it. Hope everything is ok with you and your family. That ride looks cool! Really like those wheels and color choice. My vote would be red on the trim. Nice job Roger. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanx guys! This thing has been on the back burner for a while! Can't believe I started this project over seven months ago! As usual, I've gotten distracted by other projects. I want to get back on this one soon and get it finished. I don't want it to end up as another project in the pile!

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Back On The Bench! 11/22/22

I'm back on this one for good this time around! I really want this finished and in the display case! It's languished too long! I'm just going to start at the bottom and work my way up. I started by getting back in on the engine. Once it's done, I'll make the exhaust and get the chassis together for good. I've been studying the stance and to me, it's a little too level. I'm either going to lower the front or raise the rear. I'll see which one needs to be done once the exhaust is on. I'd prefer to lower the front. But, I may not have the room. We'll see.

20221120_105703-1.jpg.76aed4604ff3a96e09cc2eabf6f5696e.jpg

I'm going to hit the firewall, inner fenderwells and core support with a coat of TS-13 or a coat of Semi Gloss. The flat is a little too much.  

• Like 1

Glad I found this!  One of my favorite cars when it came out.  My Dad came home with a new '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible when I was 12 years old. White with red interior and all the bling of the day. He quickly found out that the convertible didn't "work" with five children and another adult. 🙄😂  Dang...would have been a great car to drive when I got my drivers license!

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes
Needed it
  • Thanks 1

I just came across your thread Roger and what a great build so far, you are a very talented builder and this is another great example of your amazing skills sir.

I'm back on the forum myself with a new project and your way of building is incentive and a good source of motivation, I really like what I see here! 😁👌

• Thanks 1

Thanx guys,I appreciate the comments! I have the engine pretty much done. It's ready to be glued to the chassis now. Then I can make the exhaust. I'll have to find a set of mufflers. I thought I would use those from the Revell '66 GTO. But, they're different lengths. Were they like that from the factory?

I bumped the rear up a touch to get the rake I want. The front couldn't go any lower. I only have 4.5 mms of clearance. Plus, I needed clearance for the driveshaft. Hopefully, I'll have a rolling chassis soon!

20221125_113846-1.jpg.a98591e6ecbe80a2f1792179ba10f436.jpg

I fabricated a set of air intake tubes using a combination of the pieces from the Super Stallion Mustang (thanx to bogger44) and the filter boxes from the Revell Mustang Mach III. They're sanded and being stripped currently. 

• Like 4

I've not made a great deal of progress. But, any is better than none. I hit the floorpan, firewall and inner fenderwells with a quick shot of TS-13. The engine is glued to the frame. Frame and gas tank glued to the floorpan. I made the exhaust using most of the pieces from a Revell Mustang Mach III and some .100 rod for the tail pipes. I'm well pleased with it. It tucked up nicely to the floorpan and is barely visible. I made the driveshaft using the ends from a kit piece and 5/32 aluminum rod. A test fit with the rearend showed that I had to raise the rearend back up some more. That sucks! I may have to change my wheel and tire combo now! I'll know for sure when I get the rearend glued in and do a stance check. I have the front suspension glued on permanent. 

20221201_105704-1.jpg.2aab93c6b4ef45a93070fea9f2641794.jpg

I'm hoping to get the exhaust and driveshaft primered and painted today. Maybe installed tonight along with the rearend and shocks. Then I can see where the stance is at. Really hoping that I can keep the wheels and tires I have. But, I'll change them if I have to. At some point soon, I gotta make up my mind what color I'm going to use in the recess on the chrome strip so that I can do the final polish on the body. 

• Like 1

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/1/22
1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I've not made a great deal of progress. But, any is better than none. I hit the floorpan, firewall and inner fenderwells with a quick shot of TS-13. The engine is glued to the frame. Frame and gas tank glued to the floorpan. I made the exhaust using most of the pieces from a Revell Mustang Mach III and some .100 rod for the tail pipes. I'm well pleased with it. It tucked up nicely to the floorpan and is barely visible. I made the driveshaft using the ends from a kit piece and 5/32 aluminum rod. A test fit with the rearend showed that I had to raise the rearend back up some more. That sucks! I may have to change my wheel and tire combo now! I'll know for sure when I get the rearend glued in and do a stance check. I have the front suspension glued on permanent. 

20221201_105704-1.jpg.2aab93c6b4ef45a93070fea9f2641794.jpg

I'm hoping to get the exhaust and driveshaft primered and painted today. Maybe installed tonight along with the rearend and shocks. Then I can see where the stance is at. Really hoping that I can keep the wheels and tires I have. But, I'll change them if I have to. At some point soon, I gotta make up my mind what color I'm going to use in the recess on the chrome strip so that I can do the final polish on the body. 

Looks really nice Roger, that Mustang lll a good parts car? I would use black on the recess chrome..

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, slusher said:

Looks really nice Roger, that Mustang lll a good parts car? I would use black on the recess chrome..

Thanx Carl! Yeah, the Mach III is a pretty good parts car. The engine/transmission, exhaust, mufflers, frontend, disc brakes, tires/wheels and seats are all nice pieces. 

• Like 1

I now have the chassis completed! Just have to add the wheels, tires and brakes. I'm waiting for the chrome to strip on the disc brakes. I had to modify them to fit. I also have to add the valve stems to the wheels.

20221204_153028-1.jpg.f11240e87e67d7646f9a2dfd2776ddd7.jpg

I stuck the wheels on to check the stance. 

20221204_104956-1.jpg.a219a008436cee5e1ae12cf53f1fb4cd.jpg

I can live with this! I also checked the fit of the rear bumper to make sure the exhaust didn't interfere.

• Like 3

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/4/22 Finished Chassis

Yes sir! This is coming along. The paint on the wheels sure makes a statement. That stance definitely works, doesn’t look like you had to raise it much. Roger, your paint/colour combinations are often somewhat unusual and always very well done. Funny how a somewhat subdued or even bland colour can really pop, or stand out when in the right hands.   Very nice work as usual sir!

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

I now have the interior completed! Can't wait to get the body stuck on for good! I painted the recess on the chrome strip red. I really like how it looks. I have to polish the glass and do the final polish on the body before I can install it. Then it'll be the little stuff to finish it up. 

20221208_151147-1.jpg.0e9943ec792b7e494046a691a264a44e.jpg

20221208_151214-1.jpg.153863c51df01f6104942de0f46c343e.jpg

I did something to the dash that I've wanted to do for a while. Since the instrument panel wasn't right for a '62, I replicated a digital dash. It's just a clear piece cut to fit and painted black.

20221208_151253-1.jpg.b936f04e62a12124a8c0028b9edf8890.jpg

• Like 2

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/8/22 Finished Interior
  • Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7