Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 372

This is a project that I have always wanted to embark on, but never had the guts to try. I decided to finally take the plunge and attempt to build a Peterbilt 372. This seems to be a model of truck that people either love or hate (with more leaning towards the hate side of things). Personally, I have always thought it was a really cool design. My family owned this one back in the day, and I always liked the look of it.

2v2aYgb8vxAC2cR.jpg

This project started in an unlikely manner. About a year ago, I was attempting to draw pinstripes in Microsoft Word, but with an inkjet printer I can only print things that will show up on light colors. Since this 372 was white, I gave it a shot. I was pretty happy with how they came out, and knowing that this file existed in my computer has been bugging me until I can put it to use.

2v2aYgbj3xAC2cR.jpg

So I started by cutting out the basic sides of the cab. I use .020" thick styrene and layer it to get the features I want. I can make the bottom layer relatively solid, and make separate features such as doors that all glue onto the base layer.

2v2aYgQfrxAC2cR.jpg

2v2aYgQB8xAC2cR.jpg

• Like 1

KJ. Nice start. I’m sorry but I never could like these trucks we called the “Football Helmets” I remember in the early 90s Werner  Enterprise ran some of these and a place call Holmbolt Express bought one and put it in their fleet it was so odd see it. I think you got this I’ll be following along. 

Edited by Pete68

4 minutes ago, Pete68 said:

KJ. Nice start. I’m sorry but I never could like these trucks we called the “Football Helmets” I remember in the early 90s Werner  Enterprise ran some of these and a place call Holmbolt Express bought one and put it in their fleet it was so odd see it. I think you got this I’ll be following along. 

Thanks! That seems to be the common opinion of these. We always called this one "The Egg".

The cab gets pieced together with a back wall, a roof, and then a front firewall.

2v2aYgQR3xAC2cR.jpg

2v2aYgQPUxAC2cR.jpg

2v2aYgQbMxAC2cR.jpg

I made some sketches based on pictures that I found on the internet to try to scale the shape of the cab out.

2v2aYgQ4zxAC2cR.jpg

• Like 1

I roughed out a front nose for the cab. My initial attempt has the wheel arches too far forward in my opinion, so I shifted them backwards .060" after this photo was taken.

2v2aYgQKzxAC2cR.jpg

Next was to finish off the grille, headlight buckets, and bumper.

2v2aYgQc3xAC2cR.jpg

Finally, some rear cab fairings and roof top spoiler were roughed out. Lots of sanding ahead to get all of the seams smooth. Everything is just set in place for the photo mock-up.

2v2aYgQwvxAC2cR.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been a while since I gave an update, so time for a photo dump. I used a Cat 3406 engine from a Revell snap kit, but made some modifications to make it an air-to-air charge cooled engine.

2v2aVC7eaxAC2cR.jpg

2v2aVC7brxAC2cR.jpg

Next up was the chassis. I used frame rails and rear suspension from an RoG Peterbilt. The frame had to be shortened and the front portion of the frame was scratch built. Basic plumbing was created using various sized styrene round stock. I modified the radiator from a Revell snap kit to be narrower, then scratch built a charge cooler to mount in front of the radiator. The air filter canister, battery box, fuel filter, and exhaust mount were scratch built. Fuel tank brackets (and eventually fuel tanks) were from Kootenay 3D model parts.

2v2aVC7pMxAC2cR.jpg

I had to cheat a little for the dash. Rather than scratch building one, I decided to draw this one in CAD and 3D print it.

2v2aVC7BNxAC2cR.jpg

Since these trucks had a "break-away" intake system, the air cleaner is open when the cab is raised. I decided to make an air filter using some photo-etched mesh that I had left over from a previous build.

2v2aVC7zoxAC2cR.jpg

The chassis is getting closer to finished. I used resin 2-hole wheels that I had cast for the drive wheels, and some Keystone aluminum rims for the steer wheels. The tires are rubber pieces that I cast. Fuel tanks are now mounted and the exhaust is almost finished.

2v2aVCR3vxAC2cR.jpg

2v2aVCRU9xAC2cR.jpg