Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How have you guys been dealing with the "new" Bare Metal Foil?


Recommended Posts

The last I bought BMF was back in February. I remember because I wrote the date on the envelope when it came in. Perhaps that was the time there was a change after that? The sheet I have there were no problems......I do remember getting it directly from the company.

It's too bad if the original stuff has gone by way of the Dodo Bird. I do remember it being a bit more pliable in the past and the sheet I have now I've noticed is a bit stiffer, but I've had no problems with it sticking.

I read the embedded thread on this.........I had NO idea that it's gotten that bad. :(

I went on eBay and bought three sheets of the Matte Aluminum. I can buff the heck out of that to make it shine like chrome. I'm of the mind that window trim (and even side trim) is not as brilliant as bumper chrome.....there is a slight dullness to it. The way I build those three sheets should last me literally for years.

BTW, there was a builder here from Brazil that had a very good video on using cheap kitchen foil (MUCH thinner) and an adhesive for getting impressive results. It's probably still on YT somewhere and it's worth taking a look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I went on eBay and bought three sheets of the Matte Aluminum. I can buff the heck out of that to make it shine like chrome.

I guess that will work, if that is the only choice left.  But the matte aluminum foil was never nowhere as pliable as the original chrome foil.  I still have a decent stash of the good stuff, and since I'm not a very prolific builder, hopefully it will last me until I no longer build models.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

The last I bought BMF was back in February. I remember because I wrote the date on the envelope when it came in. Perhaps that was the time there was a change after that? The sheet I have there were no problems......I do remember getting it directly from the company.

It's too bad if the original stuff has gone by way of the Dodo Bird. I do remember it being a bit more pliable in the past and the sheet I have now I've noticed is a bit stiffer, but I've had no problems with it sticking.

I read the embedded thread on this.........I had NO idea that it's gotten that bad. :(

I went on eBay and bought three sheets of the Matte Aluminum. I can buff the heck out of that to make it shine like chrome. I'm of the mind that window trim (and even side trim) is not as brilliant as bumper chrome.....there is a slight dullness to it. The way I build those three sheets should last me literally for years.

BTW, there was a builder here from Brazil that had a very good video on using cheap kitchen foil (MUCH thinner) and an adhesive for getting impressive results. It's probably still on YT somewhere and it's worth taking a look.

Please let us know if the Matte Aluminum sticks Bill. I don't know when the "new" cr*p started being not too sticky but I'm pretty sure what I have left was bought before February.

I do agree with you about the trim pieces on the older cars not being as shiny as bumpers, especially the ones with stainless trim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I emailed BMF back in August after being more frustrated than usual with the newer BMF sheets I've gotten.  Randy's response:

Hi Rich,
 
We have run into a supply chain issue with the chrome foil because of Covid. We are unable to obtain it at this time. We found a U.S.supplier able to provide foil. But they are unable to mill it any thinner than what we currently are using. 
 
I am sorry for the disappointment this is causing. We are still trying to obtain the original foil.
 
End quote.....  :
 
I've since began using the matte aluminum BMF and while not ideal, and the sheets seem prone to wrinkling and creasing, I've gotten by.  Let's all hope they work out their supply issues with the chrome sheets.  
 
I've experimented with using thin, cheap foil (the stuff I tried was from Dollar Tree and you can't get much cheaper than that) and Microscale micro-metal foil adhesive.  Results varied and I decided that as long as the matte BMF remains workable I'll stick with that.  I will say that the Microscale adhesive did work the best for the few adhesives I tried.  It didn't seem to leave much residue and what it did was easier to remove than the others.  My problem was the adhesive tended to not cover evenly.
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I emailed BMF back in August after being more frustrated than usual with the newer BMF sheets I've gotten.  Randy's response:

Hi Rich,
 
We have run into a supply chain issue with the chrome foil because of Covid. We are unable to obtain it at this time. We found a U.S.supplier able to provide foil. But they are unable to mill it any thinner than what we currently are using. 
 
I am sorry for the disappointment this is causing. We are still trying to obtain the original foil.
 
End quote.....  :
 
I've since began using the matte aluminum BMF and while not ideal, and the sheets seem prone to wrinkling and creasing, I've gotten by.  Let's all hope they work out their supply issues with the chrome sheets.  
 
I've experimented with using thin, cheap foil (the stuff I tried was from Dollar Tree and you can't get much cheaper than that) and Microscale micro-metal foil adhesive.  Results varied and I decided that as long as the matte BMF remains workable I'll stick with that.  I will say that the Microscale adhesive did work the best for the few adhesives I tried.  It didn't seem to leave much residue and what it did was easier to remove than the others.  My problem was the adhesive tended to not cover evenly.
 
 

Hey, at least they're acknowledging the problem and trying to correct it. Good news finally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, peteski said:

I still have a decent stash of the good stuff, and since I'm not a very prolific builder, hopefully it will last me until I no longer build models.

It doesn't matter how much "old stuff" one bought to squirrel away because the "new stuff" isn't the same. Adhesives deteriorate over time. So, your "old stuff" will be as useless as the "new stuff" a lot sooner than you'd like.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Repstock said:

Hey, at least they're acknowledging the problem and trying to correct it. Good news finally.

Nothing in that reply addresses the apparently inferior adhesive being used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do agree that older foil loses it's adhesive properties over time, but I have never had some lose so much I could not work with it. I would gladly buy up a hobby stores entire supply of original foil if I ever found some, over any of the new stuff or other options out there currently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Nothing to add to the list of issues with the new CHROME. 

One thing that has partially alleviated some of the adhesion issue is a thin brush coat of Future over the finished foil job.  The new stuff does hold its shape given how thick it is, so if you can get it to hold in place the Future coat does seem to hold in in place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I emailed BMF back in August after being more frustrated than usual with the newer BMF sheets I've gotten.  Randy's response:

Hi Rich,
 
We have run into a supply chain issue with the chrome foil because of Covid. We are unable to obtain it at this time. We found a U.S.supplier able to provide foil. But they are unable to mill it any thinner than what we currently are using. 
 
I am sorry for the disappointment this is causing. We are still trying to obtain the original foil.
 
End quote.....  :
 
I've since began using the matte aluminum BMF and while not ideal, and the sheets seem prone to wrinkling and creasing, I've gotten by.  Let's all hope they work out their supply issues with the chrome sheets.  
 
I've experimented with using thin, cheap foil (the stuff I tried was from Dollar Tree and you can't get much cheaper than that) and Microscale micro-metal foil adhesive.  Results varied and I decided that as long as the matte BMF remains workable I'll stick with that.  I will say that the Microscale adhesive did work the best for the few adhesives I tried.  It didn't seem to leave much residue and what it did was easier to remove than the others.  My problem was the adhesive tended to not cover evenly.
 
 

That’s actually pretty encouraging news.

At least this proves that they’re aware that there is a problem, and that in order to retain their customer base, the issues are going to need to be addressed at some point. 
 

I have enough of the old stuff to last me a project or two, and at my current rate of production of about 1 project per year, I’ll be ready for some more some time in 2023. 😁

 

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I have seen a bottle of Bare Metal Foil adhesive offered on eBay. Has anyone here tried using it on a pesky sheet of BMF?

I've used it on cheap, thin foil, but not on BMF.  I imagine it'd be the same though.  It works pretty good from the few times I tried it.  The key is to only put a thin layer on and then let it dry till it's just tacky not wet.  Seems to keep its' stickiness for a fair amount of time too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It doesn't matter how much "old stuff" one bought to squirrel away because the "new stuff" isn't the same. Adhesives deteriorate over time. So, your "old stuff" will be as useless as the "new stuff" a lot sooner than you'd like.

My oldest (actually the first ever sheet of BMF chrome foil), is over 30 years old, and whatever foil still remains on the backing paper still has good adhesion.  Hard to believe, right? If the other sheets I bought later have adhesive that lasts as long, that will be lifetime of model building for me (I don't expect to model or even live past 90). 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

BMF Adhesive?   AFAIK, BMF does not make or sell just the adhesive. Are you sure that is the name?  But there is:

metalfoilad.jpg

My bad...  I was referring to my experience with the Microscale adhesive.  I misread the post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

BMF Adhesive?   AFAIK, BMF does not make or sell just the adhesive. Are you sure that is the name?  But there is:

metalfoilad.jpg

BMF does sell an adhesive. You can get it on their website as well as other online vendors. Here's a link to it on model roundup: 

https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/bmf-086.htm

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

BMF does sell an adhesive. You can get it on their website as well as other online vendors. Here's a link to it on model roundup: 

https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/bmf-086.htm

 

 

BMF-086-2T.jpg

Interesting. I did not know that.  The packaging looks similar to the the Microscale adhesive. I wonder if it is the same stuff relabeled as BMF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...