Model Cars Magazine Forum

David Mann's ride (duel)

happy grumpy

Having put more effort in the peterbuilt which was more important to me. I was less thorough with the valiant so it's not as good as the truck but I still wanted to do it so it would complete the duo. The revell kit dodge dart Gts as a base was used and the AMT duster 71 provided the front end and the interior. The front grille came from Harts parts. The hub caps were machined to reflect the ones in the movie, far from perfect but I could not find anything close. Although  not accurate by purist standards, it does fit nicely alongside the truck (the truck is posted in the big rig section if you're interested). I know they used more than 1 car for the movie and they used both the 318 and the slant six. I used the slant six but I did not detailed the engine bay, just basic engine so I left the hood shut. But in the end I enjoyed building it, it came out ok, for me at least. I might still build a more accurate version  if I get out of things to do (won't be for a while though). I have included a few pictures of the build.

thanks for looking.

valliant duel 04.jpg

valliant duel 05.jpg

valliant duel 06.jpg

valliant duel 07.jpg

valliant duel 09.jpg

valliant duel 10.jpg

valliant duel 03.jpg

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

You did really good on it.

15 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just needs to be out in front of the cafe he crashed in front of.

I like it a lot!

15 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Nice! Cool and fun project, this with the truck. Well done.

9 hours ago, Zippi said:

Another fine build Mario.  Nicely done.  

9 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looks really nice.

8 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Nice work! I can remember seeing that movie when I was a kid on the late late show on the network tv. It scared the living blank out of me. Today, I don't think any of these kids ever even heard of that movie.

2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Well done replica, Mario - this surely will make an excellent addition to the old Peterbilt tanker.

Thank you guys for the kind words. 

19 hours ago, the goon said:

Very nice.  My first car was a '68 Valiant 2 door from my parents. Hated it.

Mark

Thanks Mark, 

18 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

Thanks Larry

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Great Job, you build som awesome models!

Thanks Carl.

Your model may not be perfect. But, I like it. 

As far as Dual goes. It still ranks as one of my all time favorite movies. I was lucky enough to see it the night it premiered on ABC’s Movie of the Week. I was blown away at the time. And still am every time I’ve seen it since. I like the additions they added for the later theatrical release. They added more good stuff to an already great story.

Edited by unclescott58

29 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Your model may not be perfect. But, I like it. 

As far as Dual goes. It still ranks as one of my all time favorite movies. I was lucky enough to see it the night it premiered on ABC’s Movie of the Week. I was blown away at the time. And still am every time I’ve seen it since. I like the additions they added for the later theatrical release. They added more good stuff to an already great story.

Thank you Scott, Duel is a perfect example that you don't need 200 millions  dollars to do a good movie, the story , the directing, to me it the most significant film Spielberg made not to diminish what he made after but it was clear the he had a talent to envision a story and draw  the audience right in. I hope they never do a remake, I would not like to see a 200 MPH truck with CGI everywhere, big explosions , it would totally ruined the original. Not all movie can be remade, I feel the same about Bullitt.

8 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Thank you Scott, Duel is a perfect example that you don't need 200 millions  dollars to do a good movie, the story , the directing, to me it the most significant film Spielberg made not to diminish what he made after but it was clear the he had a talent to envision a story and draw  the audience right in. I hope they never do a remake, I would not like to see a 200 MPH truck with CGI everywhere, big explosions , it would totally ruined the original. Not all movie can be remade, I feel the same about Bullitt.

I agree. A remake of Duel or Bullitt would be a sin. There have been several more modern takes on Bullitt’s famous case scene. None of them as good as the original.