Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Baja Bug

Okay, it's been long overdue. When is somebody gonna print out a VW Baja Bug? Maybe to work with one of the common, easy to get(cheap) Bug kits that are currently available now.

We've been waiting long enough. Shapeways has hundreds of 3D resin animals and guns but not a single VW Baja Bug. I find this ridiculous.

I prefer the wide-eyed version but would still take the bug-eyed version. While you're at it, you could too up some nice tubular bumpers for the front and rear. Anybody? 

And no, that Revell one is not a true Baja Bug it's just a regular Bug with canvas hiding the front end.

baja bug b.jpg

baja bug.jpg

I would also be interested in a Baja kit. I had one years ago with the head lights mounted in the center under the hood. Had an 1800 engine with the Holly Bug Spray carb and the Empi exhaust with the glass pack and the stinger option. Used to spend some quality time at Pismo Beach back when I lived in that area. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Probably one of the easiest sets of mods you can make to any kit.

What's stopping y'all from doing one yourselves?

Jump in there, fellas. Broaden your skill set.   :D

I know less about 3D printing than I do about computers. Zilch!

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I already planned to modify Tamiya's 66 Beetle into a Baja, since luckily I have one to use for reference!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

There's at least one on Cults:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/volkswagen-baja-bug-printable-body-car

EDIT:

And apparently Replicas and Miniatures sold/sells a traditionally resin cast one too, unless you REALLY want it to be 3d printed for some reason...:

Emailed him last year. Said they stopped doing those long ago. Zero plans to do them again.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I agree, that should be an easy one to modify. I would like to do one also.... some day....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

There's at least one on Cults:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/volkswagen-baja-bug-printable-body-car

EDIT:

And apparently Replicas and Miniatures sold/sells a traditionally resin cast one too, unless you REALLY want it to be 3d printed for some reason...:

This has the same front end as the one I had. The rear fenders were shorter and ended just after the arch of the fender with a flat area on the back side that had a mount for the rear tail lights. The scoop under the rear window also provided a center mounting for the license plate. 

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Bummer - looks like the Cults one might be your best bet, currently...

I bought that file earlier this year and its got some issues.

The first pic shows the errors that keep this from being printed without repair. When I put it in Lychee slicer, most of the body didn't even show as printable.

The other pics show where I cut the front end from the file and added it to the Beetle body I have from parting out the kit for my Peking to Paris Karmann Ghia.

I cut the front end off in Meshmixer and did a lot of resizing and reprinting to get it right. I'll do the rear when I decide to build it.

That might be an option for you as well using the full kit.

capture.jpg

IMG_20220811_101053672.jpg

IMG_20220811_100923953.jpg

14 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

I agree, that should be an easy one to modify. I would like to do one also.... some day....

There's a difference between modifying and modifying CORRECTLY. Anybody that can modify a stock '68 Bug hood and piece below the hood and tube bumpers, nerf bars and that rear fiberglass piece is a waay better modeler than myself.

Edited by Mike C.

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

I bought that file earlier this year and its got some issues.

The first pic shows the errors that keep this from being printed without repair. When I put it in Lychee slicer, most of the body didn't even show as printable.

The other pics show where I cut the front end from the file and added it to the Beetle body I have from parting out the kit for my Peking to Paris Karmann Ghia.

I cut the front end off in Meshmixer and did a lot of resizing and reprinting to get it right. I'll do the rear when I decide to build it.

That might be an option for you as well using the full kit.

capture.jpg

IMG_20220811_101053672.jpg

IMG_20220811_100923953.jpg

I have a Revell kit unbuilt I also have a 3D scanner, see where I am going here? 

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I have a Revell kit unbuilt I also have a 3D scanner, see where I am going here? 

That sound good Charles. Please see if you could do the 'Wide-Eyed" version. The "Bug-Eyed" version has been done to death.

jc whitney.jpg

• Like 1